PDA

View Full Version : Scag freedom Z

Capemay Eagle
05-30-2007, 02:06 PM
I took the Scag 52" 26 horse freedom Z out for a spin today and I really like it. The only problem is it is a little to big. I also feel that the the 48" is also going to be a little to big. The salesman himself said this. I only really have a about a acre to cut, but I need a ztr to get around all the curves. Does anyone have any info on a good quality ztr in the 4-5 Grand area that is a little smaller. I did see a John Deere in Home Cheapo that was nice, but no where near the quality of the Scag, for a thousand less. Any help appricated..

ranger100
05-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Check out the Hustler Fastrak and Mini Fastrak, depending on the size deck you need. They pretty much own the upper-end homeowner market. I've have the Fastrak 20 hp honda/52 deck and love every minute of it. Do a search and you will find everything you need to know about them.

bsalter5
05-30-2007, 03:51 PM
I recently bought a Gravely 34Z and love it. A 44Z might work for you. There are a lot of good mowers out there though - find a convenient dealer that you like, and they probably have something that would fit the bill.

I considered the Mini FasTrak's, and Dixon Black Bear among others, but ended up getting the Gravely. I almost bought a lightly used Scag Z-Cat (19hp), but it cost about what the new Gravely did...

Good Luck!

bes

nmurph
05-30-2007, 04:11 PM
one acre is Hustler Mini Fasttrak territory. the 42" will do it in about 30 mins, depending on obstacles. search. there are lots of post with many, many satisfied owners.

Capemay Eagle
05-30-2007, 04:27 PM
one acre is Hustler Mini Fasttrak territory. the 42" will do it in about 30 mins, depending on obstacles. search. there are lots of post with many, many satisfied owners.

A 42" is what I need. I looked up a Hustler dealer and there is one about 15 minutes up the road. I am going to head up tomorrow and take a peek. Thanks...

Capemay Eagle
05-30-2007, 05:52 PM
I recently bought a Gravely 34Z and love it. A 44Z might work for you. There are a lot of good mowers out there though - find a convenient dealer that you like, and they probably have something that would fit the bill.

I considered the Mini FasTrak's, and Dixon Black Bear among others, but ended up getting the Gravely. I almost bought a lightly used Scag Z-Cat (19hp), but it cost about what the new Gravely did...

Good Luck!

bes

I looked around for a Gravely dealer and the closest one is in Delaware. A little to far for me to travel. I think I am going with the mini fastrak. It seems to fit what I am looking for. I have a appointment tomorrow morning. Hope to have it home by Monday..

wolfsburg57
06-01-2007, 07:23 AM
When you visit your hustler dealer you might see if they have any leftover 44 inch fastrak's. One of those can be had for probably $4500.

nmurph
06-01-2007, 07:53 AM
eagle, let us know when you get the Hustler home. you will be begging the grass to grow so you can kick its' skinny green butt.

Faded87T
06-01-2007, 08:26 PM
I love the Mini-fastrak 42 I purchased last year. I went back and forth between the Honda or the Kohler engine, in the end I just couldn't justify the added expense of the Honda. The Kohler has been great, doesn't burn a drop of oil and has good power. I've had to cut thick wet grass a couple of times and it goes right through it. Overall I'm very pleased with the mower. I cut 1.5 acres (less the house and the garage) with a fair amount of trees. It leaves a very nice looking cut and is fast. It is also easy to store and lift for maintenance, it's the perfect size for my needs. Let us know how you like it.

Dale

stuffdeer
06-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Just an Option.
Cub Cadet Enforcer 44" 19HP Full commercial

WREBELMACHINE
06-02-2007, 11:10 AM
A couple more to look at would be Encore Fusion and the Country Clipper Jazee series. Very popular in this area.

Capemay Eagle
06-02-2007, 03:21 PM
I love the Mini-fastrak 42 I purchased last year. I went back and forth between the Honda or the Kohler engine, in the end I just couldn't justify the added expense of the Honda. The Kohler has been great, doesn't burn a drop of oil and has good power. I've had to cut thick wet grass a couple of times and it goes right through it. Overall I'm very pleased with the mower. I cut 1.5 acres (less the house and the garage) with a fair amount of trees. It leaves a very nice looking cut and is fast. It is also easy to store and lift for maintenance, it's the perfect size for my needs. Let us know how you like it.

DaleI am placing the order Monday morning. I am going with the 17 Kohler as well. I am just curios, the sales man talked me out of the bagger and suggested I just get gator blades. He said I will be surprised how well these blades cut. Do think I should get the bagger or go with his suggestion???The bagger was $800 installed so I would like to hold off till the fall, but I do have a cyclone rake I can attach later for heavy leaves. Thanks..

Faded87T
06-03-2007, 11:21 AM
I would try it with just the stock blades for awhile and see how it goes. I never really considered the bagger as the yard looks really good without it & I've just never been a fan big of bagging. I cut to 3 inches every 5 days or so and the clippings with the stock blades are pretty fine. I might try the gator blades just for the heck of it as I've heard so many good things about them, but I don't really "need" them.

Capemay Eagle
06-03-2007, 11:59 AM
eagle, let us know when you get the Hustler home. you will be begging the grass to grow so you can kick its' skinny green butt.

I can't wait Murp. I feel like a kid at Christmas. I have a problem though, I put my tractor out front with a for sale sign and sold twenty minutes, now I have nothing. I never thought it would sell so quick. I have to wait till Monday to place the order since my dealer does not stock the Mini Fastrack. He said he can have in by Wednesday but it will be in by crate and it has to be assembled, so I really have no idea when I will get it home.

Capemay Eagle
06-03-2007, 04:24 PM
I would try it with just the stock blades for awhile and see how it goes. I never really considered the bagger as the yard looks really good without it & I've just never been a fan big of bagging. I cut to 3 inches every 5 days or so and the clippings with the stock blades are pretty fine. I might try the gator blades just for the heck of it as I've heard so many good things about them, but I don't really "need" them.

The only reason I really need the bagger is because my yard is 85% shaded by trees. There is always something laying on the lawn. Just got finished the bout of Oak pollen that just fell. I am really hoping that my Cyclone rake can hitch up to the Mini Fastrack without any problems. If that is the case I will not need the bag.

lifetree
06-03-2007, 04:32 PM
The only reason I really need the bagger is because my yard is 85% shaded by trees. There is always something laying on the lawn. Just got finished the bout of Oak pollen that just fell. I am really hoping that my Cyclone rake can hitch up to the Mini Fastrack without any problems. If that is the case I will not need the bag.

With 85 % tree shaded my suggestion would be to try the Cyclone and then plan on getting the gator blades !!

Jay Ray
06-04-2007, 09:22 PM
If you still have your old rider the Cyclone was fitted to, I would use that for leaves. Personally, I would spare the new Fastrak hydos to make them last.

I have an old Wheel Horse with the heavy cast iron gear transmission and when the Cyclone is full, even with this 850 lb. tractor, the tail still tries to wag the dog.

Capemay Eagle
06-06-2007, 11:23 AM
If you still have your old rider the Cyclone was fitted to, I would use that for leaves. Personally, I would spare the new Fastrak hydos to make them last.

I have an old Wheel Horse with the heavy cast iron gear transmission and when the Cyclone is full, even with this 850 lb. tractor, the tail still tries to wag the dog.
I think you are right. I think I will look as the fall nears for a small used tractor to tow with. I am kinda thinking now that I should have just kept my tractor and left well enough alone. I had everything to do the job efficiently, now I starting over and spending a fortune. But new toys are fun!!

Pro-Scapes
06-06-2007, 12:39 PM
I just helped Grandpa and an uncle both pick out hustler fasttraks. Both love em altho my uncle is a bit bigger and he cant pull the levers all the way back on the huster unit. Solution ws to unbolt the seat and rill new holes moving it back 2 inches.

both 52 inch 20hp hondas... im confident both will serve thier 3-5 acre lawns well.

Also give a look for the toro z100 series... about 4700 last I looked at dealer. Its the Estate series in between the timecutters and full blown commercials..

Another option is look for a used commercial unit. Should be able to find one with plenty of life left in the 3k range. a Full blown commercial should tow your existing cyclone easy too as long as you are careful on the turns.

Mulching the leaves before bagging them will greatly reduce your cost. Also consider the cost of buying it vs having someone come and use thier vac on your lawn every few weeks. You will have to do your own for several years to justify the cost.

Jay Ray
06-06-2007, 11:44 PM
I think you are right. I think I will look as the fall nears for a small used tractor to tow with. I am kinda thinking now that I should have just kept my tractor and left well enough alone. I had everything to do the job efficiently, now I starting over and spending a fortune. But new toys are fun!!

For mowing it is doubtful any tractor could come close to your new Z. It should last you a very long time if it is used for what it was designed to do.

nmurph
06-07-2007, 08:50 AM
i think you will be ok with the mft, if the leaves are not wet and you don't have hills to deal with. maybe dump them when the cyclone is less than full.

Capemay Eagle
06-07-2007, 02:35 PM
i think you will be ok with the mft, if the leaves are not wet and you don't have hills to deal with. maybe dump them when the cyclone is less than full.

Hey Nmurph check your Pm....I gotta question..