PDA

View Full Version : Direct Mail - Postcards

Turf Troll
05-30-2007, 05:09 PM
It has been two years since I sent out 10,000 postcards and it was for landscaping.

I am starting to put my piece together now for just Lighting and am gathering rates and print cost and list cost.

I am looking for some feedback on who to use for a printer, a list broker and how you mailed your piece.

If not here please send a PM

I appreciate the help, Thanks

Eden Lights
05-30-2007, 07:56 PM
http://www.printingforless.com/index.html

They do all my printing and I have carried the pieces with me to get local quotes, but nobody has come close yet to the quality and price.

You can get your list from InfoUSA and let Pinters for less do the rest if you like. (You can get all the quotes right on line.)

I get 5k with about 2k printed with my list for me to bulk mail as soon as I get them. The remaining 3k have my postage permit printed on them for me to use for small batches until the next big mailing.

Turf Troll
05-30-2007, 08:32 PM
What is the postage costing you and what is the post office calling it ? I paid 12 cents a card then 14 cents a card with current residence for the addresse,today one post office said I had to pay 25 or 26 for a addressed card another told me 16 cents :hammerhead: this is the same confusion I had the first time I mailed with the post office.

Last year I used my printers permit and a list from info usa also. I called them today and they said it would be 26 cents a card 6 x 9 size for the postage.

Pro-Scapes
05-30-2007, 09:03 PM
5.5 x 8.5 double sided coated both sides full color both sides... .283 cents each for printing.... .24 to 26 cents for postage... 30 bucks per 1000 to adress.

This comes to 56 cents each card delivered but keep in mind full color both sides coated really added up. This is also for only 1200 hand selected adresses with me providing the list. Im using a company reccomended by our friend Oscar Welch at Welch Creative Lighting. Its based in orlando and Its called a different perspective advertising. They have been VERY helpful and patient as I compliled our list.

Pro-Scapes
06-01-2007, 10:57 AM
http://www.printingforless.com/index.html

They do all my printing and I have carried the pieces with me to get local quotes, but nobody has come close yet to the quality and price.

You can get your list from InfoUSA and let Pinters for less do the rest if you like. (You can get all the quotes right on line.)

I get 5k with about 2k printed with my list for me to bulk mail as soon as I get them. The remaining 3k have my postage permit printed on them for me to use for small batches until the next big mailing.

Eddie. You link wants 934 bucks for my order. Im paying between 650 and 700... 4/4 both sides with coating and mailed out using my list.

Chris J
06-01-2007, 06:42 PM
These are some of the people I've used in the past. You can give them a try if you wish:
Printing: Olymus / Olympusnet.com...They can do full service, but I used to supply my own list.
List: Dunhill International List Co. / dunhills.com

Some prices to expect, but remember that I deal in large volumn (60,000 or more):

Printing: 6X9 4/4 12pt c1s Kromekote glossy cover.. .0745 cents per card

Mail Processing: .035 cents per card

Postage: .21 cents per card

List from Dunhill: $50 per thousand addresses. Single family owned homes, no condos or apartments, in selected zip codes.

Total cost per piece (not including list because it is reusable) is 0.3195 cents.

Chris J
06-01-2007, 11:22 PM
A quick note on lists: when figuring out the criteria for your lists, there are a few things to keep in mind. If you use "income level" you may be missing out on a huge market of retired individuals who no longer have an income but may be rather wealthy. Retirees are a large customer base for us in Florida.
If you use "home value" you have to rely on the accuracy of the list from the agency you choose. In today's market, home values increase very rapidly. A home valued at 500k today, might only have been appraised at 250K two years ago. A lot of list companies use tax rolls to pull their information; therefore if you told them that you wanted the homes valued at 400k and above, you would not get the address of the home just mentioned because the assesed value of this home would not be 400k even though the appraised value is 500k. The tax collector can only increase your property taxes 3%maximum per year in Florida (raise your property value). Bottom line is that a lot of thought needs to go into choosing a proper list as well as a proper list agency. I do pay a bit more for my lists, but I really believe they are more accurate and up to date.

David Gretzmier
06-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Proscapes- you say that you are paying 650-700 printed and mailed, rather than 934 just printed, but to who? let me know, I want the best deal, I am wanting to send out postcards soon.

Chris J
06-02-2007, 12:14 AM
David,
I just gave you the information for postcards at .32 cents a piece printed and mailed versus Billy's .56 cent method. What more do you want?

David Gretzmier
06-02-2007, 12:35 AM
yeah, but I can't send out 60,000 pieces !! at 30 cents apiece, that is what? 18000 dollars? If I can do a selected mailer for 650-750 bucks, that is more my budget. sorry, man, I'm at a lower volume.

extlights
06-02-2007, 01:46 AM
Just curious but does everyone send out the larger cards? We used to send out the larger cards (6x9 if I remember correctly) but since have switched to regular 3x5 postcard size.

Turf Troll
06-02-2007, 06:34 AM
Chris what is the .21 cent postage called or how do you get to this price. Do you take them to the post office or what is your mailing proceedure.

Turf Troll
06-02-2007, 06:35 AM
I have been getting my cards made by image media in Fl. 6x9 - 10000 - $840

Pro-Scapes
06-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Proscapes- you say that you are paying 650-700 printed and mailed, rather than 934 just printed, but to who? let me know, I want the best deal, I am wanting to send out postcards soon.

the 934 was printed and mailed as well. I might of been missing something tho..

If you like Email Joan Ziegler at a different perspective jziegler@dppad.com
Shes been most helpful and was 200 less than the closest quote I got and I have seen her work with Oscar Welch. Top notch work.

Pro-Scapes
06-02-2007, 10:07 AM
yeah, but I can't send out 60,000 pieces !! at 30 cents apiece, that is what? 18000 dollars? If I can do a selected mailer for 650-750 bucks, that is more my budget. sorry, man, I'm at a lower volume.

the volume definatly helps get you a lower per piece price. I may send out a mass mailing later if my hand picked list goes thru. I cant do 60k pieces either right now. I dont think my area is 60k homes that would qualify. I will keep expanding my area if these post cards work.

David email me and I will show you how I created my list. It also takes some driving around and hand picking the homes you would want or looking at a map and pulling up every street in that subdivision.

I did most of it online thru my tax website and had a few other tricks to pull up the clients Im specifically targeting.

Chris J
06-02-2007, 10:41 AM
You don't have to purchase 60k. Call them to find out what it would cost to fill your order. They can do 100 or 1 million. It wouldn't hurt to ask....Just trying to help.

Chris J
06-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Just curious but does everyone send out the larger cards? We used to send out the larger cards (6x9 if I remember correctly) but since have switched to regular 3x5 postcard size.

Someone once convinced me that the larger cards were better because they would stick out and not get lost in a pile of mail, thus forcing a prospect to have to at least look at it. I don't know the actual cost difference, but I don't think it is that much. I prefer the 6x9.

Chris J
06-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Chris what is the .21 cent postage called or how do you get to this price. Do you take them to the post office or what is your mailing proceedure.

I don't know if it has any special name other than simply "postage". The cost is determined by the post office, and will have several factors depending on the size and weight of your cards. Thicker, more rigid postcards are more professional looking but are heavier and are therefore more expensive to mail. The cost to mail can also be reduced by sending via "carrier route". This is where everyone on the mailman's route gets a card, not specific homes.
As far as the procedures goes I have done it several different ways. In the beginning, I would have my cards printed by company A, I would get a mailing list from company B, and then I would take both of these to a mail house such as Advanced Direct Marketing (company C). Company C would then merge the addresses onto the cards for me and then take them to the post office. I found this was a bit cheaper because I was able to scrutinize each aspect of the process for the best possible price. The downside of this just what you see; it had me running all over town.
There are several companies that will do this entire process for you from building the list to mailing it. Most will even store an inventory of your cards and send them out in batches as you wish. Personally, I could never get used to the idea of relying on someone else to make all of this happen automatically. I always liked to keep the excess cards at my shop, and take them to the mail house when I wanted to send out a mailing.
I am sure you have a direct marketing agency nearby. Spend some time talking with a few of these people and get some quotes. It is easier to find someone reasonable who will take care of the whole process for you. Even if you have to pay slightly more, it is still worth it in the long run.
By the way, when your cards are mailed you should expect to get a receipt from the post office which will prove that they were mailed and exactly how many were delivered.
Hope this helps.

Turf Troll
06-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Thanks for sharing Chris,

When I was doing them bulk mail @ .12 & .14 I would put the count and some extra by the carrier route in trays supplied by the post office and there were variations of that to save money.

The last time I bought the list from info usa and the printer (they had their list) also did the label from my list and mailed they said at their cost somewhere around .24 or .26 cents per piece.

So if you use a list and have a .21 rate, at three mailings of 10k the savings should be about $900,

I'll just do some digging at the main p. o.

Turf Troll
06-11-2007, 06:47 PM
I have all the postcard estimates back and Chris J's printer comes in for 10,000 cards under 33 cents a card without a list for what I want to do at 6"x9" both sides full color, 100# weight not as heavy as I would like but I'll see , this is over a grand in savings from previous company.

Thanks Chris great referral :cool2:

Chris J
06-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Your welcome.