PDA

View Full Version : 16 Year Old Mowing

jeepfreak91
05-30-2007, 04:34 PM
I have been trying to get a job for a couple months and so far I have come up empty handed. I have considered mowing my neighbors yards, but I need some help. I have searched through parts of the forum but I still have some questions.

-What do I need to get legal?
-Do I have to pay taxes if I make less than x amount of dollars?
-Who would I contanct to get this information in my city/state?

I live in North Carolina if that effects any of the questions.

Thanks.

KTO Enterprises
05-30-2007, 04:38 PM
I take it by your name you are 16 years old? If so I dont think anyone will be trying to turn a kid starting out for not being legit. Make some cash until you turn 18 and hit the ground rolling. Get legit, carry your customers int the business and make money!

jeepfreak91
05-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Yea I am only 16. Its tough around here to find a job but I am willing to work hard at what ever I do.

MOWEMJEFF
05-30-2007, 06:44 PM
Get a job working for a local company mowing, build up the experience and acquire one piece of equipment at a time and try and get a few yards for yourself for the weekends or the xtra money. Having the know it all to do a wider variety of landscaping jobs will make you much more profitable in the long run. Also if your high school offers programs with a local vocational school many offer a landscaping class which will put you way ahead of the game for someone your age. And many people while see someone so motivated and want you to do their yard work. But the experience you'll get from working for a company first from the actual mowing and trim lines, hardscaping, and maintence is something that you will wish you had and it shouldn't stop you from getting a few lawns of your own.

jeepfreak91
05-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Yea I have been trying to get a job with a local landscaping company, but there isn't many around me that will hire a 16 year old. Unfortunately, my school doesn't offer any landscaping classes. Thanks for the advice so far.

Bill S
05-30-2007, 08:01 PM
16 is too young to mow for a landscape company. Workers comp will not cover you if you are injured. Employer will face stiff OSHA fines!

With that said, find an accountant in your area that will be willing to sit down with you for a consultation. Be up front, tell him you don't have much money, yet. Though you will use him for taxes and you would be happy to provide your services if he would like to offset any portion of his bill (barter). A good accountant will stear you in the right direction and help you understand associated business costs. Be legit now, it will be much easier than trying to backtrack a few years down the road.

jeepfreak91
05-30-2007, 09:03 PM
That's one of the problems I have been facing, at 16 you can't do jobs like that or working at a lumber yard, etc. That's the kind of jobs I would love to do but can't. Any other suggestions about what to do? If I could find a job and mow on the weekends, that would be great.

bohiaa
05-30-2007, 09:39 PM
My friend,,, talk to your parents... " yea they may NOT be as dumb as you think "

they have friends, coworkers, and such,, tell them what you want to do.
" YOU WANT TO CREATE YOUR OWN JOB" ask them to ask there friends and coworkers, heck at 16 you can go knock on doors....
and remember a minor CANT enter into a Contract.

Desoto_Lawn_Care
05-31-2007, 12:16 AM
When I was 14 I started mowing neighbors yards for 20 bucks each. I did 5 or 6 yards a week after school and on the weekends. Gas was 87 cents a gallon back then. Now the gas is $3.09 a gallon and kids are still mowing for 20 bucks. Go figure.....