PDA

View Full Version : What's the fastest way to dig 3 gal holes?

General Landscaping
05-30-2007, 05:54 PM
What's the fastest way to dig 3 gallon holes?
I've got a job that will warrant the use of something other than a shovel.
Looking for somthing not tractor or skid mounted.
Soil conditions are mostly sandy with some tree roots thrown in.

paolaken
05-30-2007, 06:05 PM
one man hand auger, dingo with auger

PatriotLandscape
05-30-2007, 08:43 PM
you can get 3 gallon auger bits from am leonard or gemplers and they attach to a stihl gas powered drill or comparable unit.

Focal Point Landscapes
05-31-2007, 12:38 AM
One or two man auger , but there is no faster way than a miniskid mounted auger.

General Landscaping
05-31-2007, 09:09 AM
you can get 3 gallon auger bits from am leonard or gemplers and they attach to a stihl gas powered drill or comparable unit.

Is this the one? http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=7gpa
Do these work well?

Stillwater
05-31-2007, 10:10 AM
I bought a plant auger and welded a shaft to it and use it in my echo gas powered drill. got roots to ? bring along a cordless sawzall

hoskm01
06-01-2007, 06:48 AM
Is this the one? http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=7gpa
Do these work well?

That would be a gallon auger, for gallon plants.

General Landscaping
06-01-2007, 08:38 AM
That would be a gallon auger, for gallon plants.

That's the closest I could find on either of those two sites. Can you just "waller" it out to 3 gal size.....7" at the bottom and 9" at the top?

I'm really scratching my head because of the shortage of options here.......
I would think these things would be all over the place and everybody would have one or two; and someone would be importing them from China for $30 each:confused:

I feel like I'm looking for something that most people know better than to use.

Can a large electric drill run one of these, or does it take a gas model to get it done right?

MarcSmith
06-01-2007, 08:44 AM
you start getting that large a 1/2" shank won't have enough holding power when the going gets tough. Heck my bulb auger gives me fits up here.

All the digging Ive done In orlando, it was pretty easy. nice sandy soils make for easy digs. how many holes do you need to dig?

Bigred350
06-01-2007, 07:00 PM
I dont see how you are having problems finding a gas powered auger. Every rental store has atleast 2 and has sevral bits. Even home depot has them for rent.

General Landscaping
06-01-2007, 07:59 PM
you start getting that large a 1/2" shank won't have enough holding power when the going gets tough. Heck my bulb auger gives me fits up here.

All the digging Ive done In orlando, it was pretty easy. nice sandy soils make for easy digs. how many holes do you need to dig?

Is the 1/2" shank holding power coming up short even with 3 flats on it?

Right now I'm looking at 350 plants, it would be a bare bones landscape though, so I'm pushing for more.

----------------------------------------

If I was looking for a fence post driller, that would be no problem. I'm really not looking to lug around a 9"X 48" fence post auger when I'm only drilling 9"-10" deep.

hoskm01
06-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Heres what you need. Make the hole a little bigger than you actually need so you dont have to clean it out.

http://postholeauger.com/10eaau3le.html

MarcSmith
06-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Is the 1/2" shank holding power coming up short even with 3 flats on it?

yup.... but our soils up here are a bit heavier....

mike33087
06-03-2007, 02:27 AM
a fast lumper with a shovel, thats the way i do it. i follow behinde with the plants and drop em in