PDA

View Full Version : chinch bugs in fla

bug-guy
05-30-2007, 06:16 PM
first let introduce myself i had worked in the pest control business for 20 yrs in fl. fmc did come out on some of our lawns and took samples of chinch bugs.
they told us they were resistant to bifenthrin. what do you do????
first you switch chem. we used sevin sl quick kill no residual(put out the fire)
if chinch bugs which CAN reporduce 7-10 time a yr is resistant cypermetrin and permethrin will not work also.
allectus and areana will do the job but very exspesive

the biggest problem is not with resistants its the chem never gets to the bugs. meaning some products when dry will not move down the blade of grass when watered... it stay's put.

bifent xts(oil based and has xylene in it) with a surfactant does a nice affordable job.

let it begin

js
bug-guy

He must have been a gardener that cared a lot,
Who weeded out the tears and grew a good crop.
Now we pray for rain

A.T.A.K
05-30-2007, 07:55 PM
Try Arena very pricy but if you lose the client there is no money. I use Arena on all my lawns 2x a year and have had no insect probles yet. The rest of the year I use Talstar or a generic. As far as the insecticide not getting to the chinch bugs how many gallons per thousand are you using we stay between 5-10 depending on the tech. Some guys in FL try to get away with 1-3 which is not enough to get through the thatch where they live try upping your volume of water see if it helps you or switch to Arena or Safari both work great you will need the sub lable for Safari to get your turf rate.

ampeg76
05-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Try Arena very pricy but if you lose the client there is no money. I use Arena on all my lawns 2x a year and have had no insect probles yet. The rest of the year I use Talstar or a generic. As far as the insecticide not getting to the chinch bugs how many gallons per thousand are you using we stay between 5-10 depending on the tech. Some guys in FL try to get away with 1-3 which is not enough to get through the thatch where they live try upping your volume of water see if it helps you or switch to Arena or Safari both work great you will need the sub lable for Safari to get your turf rate.

sorry for the hijack, how is the safari working?

a estes guy was trying to push it on me because it works through osmosis, i did not buy it, but with all the crape myrtles around here infested with aphids maybe that would be a good deal!

A.T.A.K
05-30-2007, 09:17 PM
You will love it best insecticide I have ever used.

bug-guy
05-30-2007, 09:49 PM
we were @ 5 to 6 gal a min. safari is another neonicotinoid how much $ per 1000 @ the heavy rate i sell arena and alectus and haven't had much demand yet but i feel when the rains come it will change

He must have been a gardener that cared a lot,
Who weeded out the tears and grew a good crop.
Now we pray for rain