PDA

View Full Version : Lost one today To lowballers

bohiaa
05-30-2007, 06:26 PM
HAy all:

Welp it finley hit home... I havent had a problem with lowballers untill today. and infact I'm sueing.... they didn't even have the balls to call me.

I had to find out by showing up to mow. I was charging 200.00 monthly and she said that a Guy showed up and did it 75.00 cheaper.....
Must be WET's................

lurch
05-30-2007, 06:54 PM
that sucks...i've lost one this year

westwind
05-30-2007, 07:05 PM
If they want a cheaper price then you don't want them anyway, better to weed them out now. Good luck!

bohiaa
05-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks and thanks......

I'm so worked up and MAD... I went out in the Grague and hit the bag for 25 minutes....

I just got this place cleaned up....

O we found someone cheaper.... SURE ya did B$%^& after I got it cleaned up.

I thought they would FREAK when I told them I have a contract in my hand and I'll see them in court.....
But I guess there used to people sueing them... Good thing is it's a Business, so they HAVE TO PAY....

Thanks again guys,,, yall have saved me MILLIONS in theropy

smut
05-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Don't let it get to you. If you do it will affect your performance and could lose additional accounts. Just move on.

KTO Enterprises
05-30-2007, 09:34 PM
I seem to lose 1 or 2 around this time of year. And its always to a firefighter, or policeman, of military doing it part time for some extra dough. Around november I will get a call from the homeowner asking if I could come back and pick back up where they left off because they quit coming. Thats when I tell the its either double the price or don't waste my time. It infuriates me how people just jump to the first cheap guy that bangs on the door. They wonder why the yard looks like H. E. double hockey sticks, because the guy was mowin with a crapsman that the deck wasn't even close to level on. No edger on the driveway. Beds look like crap. I have used the old roundup on a few people that have ditched me to a lowballin part timer.

bohiaa
05-30-2007, 10:31 PM
I seem to lose 1 or 2 around this time of year. And its always to a firefighter, or policeman, of military doing it part time for some extra dough. Around november I will get a call from the homeowner asking if I could come back and pick back up where they left off because they quit coming. Thats when I tell the its either double the price or don't waste my time. It infuriates me how people just jump to the first cheap guy that bangs on the door. They wonder why the yard looks like H. E. double hockey sticks, because the guy was mowin with a crapsman that the deck wasn't even close to level on. No edger on the driveway. Beds look like crap. I have used the old roundup on a few people that have ditched me to a lowballin part timer.

WOW... Pretty Prowerfull there.... Not sure if I would do the ole round up thing... But I may if I got mad enoulf.... YEA it's kind of sweet when they come back and then WE say double, or hit the road....

Thanks for posting

SEALAWNMANAGEMENT
05-30-2007, 11:06 PM

I guess you could lump me in with what you said. I am a PROFESSIONAL FIREFIGHTER however, I own a highly profitable lawn care company and I know several other people that work in public service that do the same. I use commercial mowers with level decks, I have a Stihl edger that I use and I take care of the ornamental beds. I do an excellent job as a so called (part timer)! I work 56 hour a week for the fire dept. and another 50-60 hrs a week with my business and also farm about 350 acres in between MY 2 FULL TIME JOBS. I have enough pride and dignity not to even consider putting round up on someones yard. That is one of he most childish things I have heard a grown man say. Especially a man who is trying to run a business.

quipit
05-30-2007, 11:08 PM
I have used the old roundup on a few people that have ditched me to a lowballin part timer.

your lookin' for a whole lotta trouble when you play around with pesticides like that...very stupid...

Since your the vindictive type, try a zoysia grass seed drive-by...

KTO Enterprises
05-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Well while you get to enjoy your state paid benefits, retirement and so forth, the rest of us that chose to do this full time dont get fancy benefits, or a state retirement. We are trying to get a county rule here that if you are a government employee you can not free enterprise. pick one or the other. Try to make it in the real world, or work your government job. Dont use benefits paid by my tax dollars to be able to cut my throat!

SEALAWNMANAGEMENT
05-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Its not my fault that you do not have the work ethic and/or the business sense to handle 2 careers. Don't be jealous of those of us who can. I myself respect the LCOs are on there own. Just remember however the people you are disrespecting will be the one who are there when you get hurt on the job one day or will risk there life to save one of your family members.

quipit
05-30-2007, 11:20 PM
I am a PROFESSIONAL FIREFIGHTER

Thanks for doing what you do, I took fire fighting training in the Navy and that is some dangerous/scary/crazy work, fighting fires is Heroes work....thanks again

KTO Enterprises
05-30-2007, 11:26 PM
Its not my fault that you do not have the work ethic and/or the business sense to handle 2 careers. Don't be jealous of those of us who can. I myself respect the LCOs are on there own. Just remember however the people you are disrespecting will be the one who are there when you get hurt on the job one day or will risk there life to save one of your family members.

You don't know the first thing about me! I don't disrespect firemen or police men. I disrespect people that have a job that has government benefits competing with people that are full time self employed. If someone has a private sector job that allows them time to run a business, as long as they are legal, I have no problem. I do have a problem with my tax dollars to go to pay my competitions retirement and health care! As for my work ethic, I had my own business when I was 13 years old. Have run my own race team since I was 16 along with work full time. As for business sense, how many self made people do you know that are 24 years old?

PerfectEarth
05-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Wow, someone's not very smart in this thread. Guess who???

d&rlawncare
05-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Well while you get to enjoy your state paid benefits, retirement and so forth, the rest of us that chose to do this full time dont get fancy benefits, or a state retirement. We are trying to get a county rule here that if you are a government employee you can not free enterprise. pick one or the other. Try to make it in the real world, or work your government job. Dont use benefits paid by my tax dollars to be able to cut my throat!

This is about the stupidest thing I have read on LS. So just because this guy has another job that has benefits you are trying to deny him the right to own and operate his own business. What benefits "paid by your tax dollars" does he use to "cut your throat"?

SEALAWNMANAGEMENT
05-30-2007, 11:34 PM
I am 25 years old.

KTO Enterprises
05-30-2007, 11:34 PM
medical, and retirement. His retirement is paid by state tax dollars. How many LCO's do you know that get a check from the state after 20 years service. How many get to have medical insurance for them and their family. People wake up and see that you are subsidizing people that are competing with you.

SEALAWNMANAGEMENT
05-30-2007, 11:38 PM
I am not saying that it isn't frustrating to lose yards to people who under cut you. I had a customer this year who let me mow his yard the first time of the year and then dropped me.

quipit
05-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Hey, is Beaufort like Hilton Head Island?

SEALAWNMANAGEMENT
05-30-2007, 11:40 PM
I think that the thing you are forgetting is that we earn those benifits. No one is preventing you from doing the same.

topsites
05-30-2007, 11:44 PM
O we found someone cheaper.... SURE ya did B$%^& after I got it cleaned up.

Oh I know what you're talking about :laugh:

Look man, I done got took like that time and again, whatever, check it out:

Here's how I do it when there's a BIG mess, just do a little every visit so it takes 3-4 maybe 5-6 visits before it's all nice and clean, see what I mean? That way you don't burn a hundred dollars of your labor that you have to hope to make up the rest of the year, and I find this method very successful:
Most customers have no problem with it, or at least not in front of me.
A few may have a problem, hey it's not clean: So, explain it will probably take a few more visits but before long it will be gtg, lalala, right? By the time it IS clean it's 4-6 visits later, either way your problem is solved: You either keep a happy customer, or they go on their way as they realize you're not as easy a target as they might've thought, and if a lowballer wants at it you can wish them well.

This method kind of plays into my hands with my +$5 system I got going, but that's another story.

I thought they would FREAK when I told them I have a contract in my hand and I'll see them in court.....
But I guess there used to people sueing them... Good thing is it's a Business, so they HAVE TO PAY....

ahhh just give it some time, I've said worse before, it's all good.

KTO Enterprises
05-30-2007, 11:46 PM
Hey, is Beaufort like Hilton Head Island?

Been on vacation there? The place is a mad house it is the souther half of the county I live in, and I could probably make more money if I serviced Bluffton and Hilton Head, but i hate the traffic problems.

KTO Enterprises
05-30-2007, 11:50 PM
btw I have never sprayed someones yard, Sometimes I felt like I should have. he is right about taking on a yard and putting a little extra work into it because you take pride in what you do and then they ditch you. Im not saying that all part timers that work for the govt, are lowballers or shady people. But most of them around here are. A small percentage are legit. I have even personally known a few that have gotten hurt landscaping, and faked the injury at work to use their benefits to cover it. It just makes my head hurt.

quipit
05-30-2007, 11:52 PM
Been on vacation there?

I spend some time there, I love the clubs:drinkup: :dancing:

BTW, I've never done the zoysia grass thing, but sounds a lot better than chemical trespass and God only knows the other laws related to such a crime.

KTO Enterprises
05-30-2007, 11:54 PM
I spend some time there, I love the clubs:drinkup: :dancing:

BTW, I've never done the zoysia grass thing, but sounds a lot better than chemical trespass and God only knows the other laws related to such a crime.

before you come back look me up.

quipit
05-30-2007, 11:56 PM
I like Casey's, Monkey Business is hot and Montego bay is just right

KTO Enterprises
05-31-2007, 12:20 AM
Im friends with the guy that used to own Monkey Business. he is a realtor here. Moose is hilarious

racer56
05-31-2007, 12:25 AM

I hope the dead folks vote twice for this. Guy here that works for the city uses the city equipment for his business. The last guy that called and complained is still sorry. When the firefighters here want some money for something they can talk to the hand. Most of them do some sort of side job for "extra money". Goad they do the job they do just wish that was all they did.

KTO Enterprises
05-31-2007, 12:29 AM
We had a guy here that worked for county maintenance using county truck to pull his landscaping trailer on off hours. his county issued cell phone was listed in his business card as his contact number. He had no biz license or insurance. I complained and have since had the fire marshal pick my shop over with a fine tooth comb. been pulled and harrassed by the cops on more than one occasion, and even had my own records audited to see if i had told the truth on my biz license renewal as to my earning. ( here our biz license fee is a calulated rate. 52 dollars a year for the first 2,000 gross. 3.00 per every 1,000 gross after that)

FiveOJoe
05-31-2007, 12:30 AM

Really take exception to that, sorry. 25 years as a cop. Been shot, stabbed and blown up, and I think I earned my pension and benefits. I now have a small LCO, insured and registered, and I get lowballed too.

I think they call it "free enterprise" for a reason.

KTO Enterprises
05-31-2007, 12:32 AM
Really take exception to that, sorry. 25 years as a cop. Been shot, stabbed and blown up, and I think I earned my pension and benefits. I now have a small LCO, insured and registered, and I get lowballed too.

I think they call it "free enterprise" for a reason.

You are no longer a member of a free enterprise society when you chose to work in the public sector.

kkirk
05-31-2007, 04:07 AM
You are no longer a member of a free enterprise society when you chose to work in the public sector.

What society are they in then? If the government job doesn't aid or interfere with the private sector job then they should be free to do whatever they want. Are you okay with other people that have a primary private sector job doing a lawn service on the side?

easycareacres
05-31-2007, 04:29 AM
sounds to me the usa paye jack **** for fireman and cops as so many seem to branch off to the mowing sector, hee but reckon theyd be usless with pathetic equip.

KTO Enterprises
05-31-2007, 09:30 AM
What society are they in then? If the government job doesn't aid or interfere with the private sector job then they should be free to do whatever they want. Are you okay with other people that have a primary private sector job doing a lawn service on the side?

I dont care one bit if a person with a primary private sector job is doing lawn care on the side, so long as they are legit.

But for the public sector, they have better benefits than anyone that is self employed can get for the money, and their retirement is a dream. They pay very little in, the state makes a very large contribution to their retirement account.

Baywatch
05-31-2007, 10:52 AM
KTO, Sounds like you need to go get a government job and get some cheese to go with that Whine.

Baywatch
05-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Not true about the fireman pay being squat in my area. I know of one district that the average pay is 90,000 a year.

FiveOJoe
05-31-2007, 11:55 AM

Thanks for pointing that out...fellow Comrade.

Babbages01
05-31-2007, 01:57 PM
This entire argument has hit a whole new level of stupid.

Just because someone works for the government doesn't mean they can't persue another part time career. Down here we work 24 hours on and 48 off and get paid around $40k a year to be a firefighter/paramedic. Yes, there's state retirement and you have good healthcare, it's just a plus to the job. When you think about it though, is even all that enough? You risk yourself every day to help others, you see things most people would never want to see and you have the thought in the back of your head that when you leave the house to go to work it may be the last time. Everyone I know that's been on the job for 10+ years has health problems related to work from constant lifting of people and stretchers not to mention all the other health problems that come from doing the job. We had a choice in life just like everyone else to pick a career and we chose what we wanted to do. If you were pinned and bleeding out in a burning car, who do you think would be putting themselves in danger to pull you out?

Your argument is like saying a school band director shouldn't offer private lessons in their spare time or a football coach can't hold a summer football camp for elementary school kids.

I know firefighters that have their own lawn business, another that has a moving company and even one that's a realtor on his off days. Just because someone has good business sense and the drive to provide better for their family doesn't mean they should be punished or limited to what they can do.

cjslawn
05-31-2007, 02:06 PM
i lost one yesterday myself to some lowball bid. i was cutting this place for a competitive price of $135 per cut, some jack--- come in and said he would do it for $75 per cut. i told them he must like to mow as a hobby, unbelievable. cj

GLLawns
05-31-2007, 02:56 PM
I worked 3 years for uncle sam and for the most part the benefits aren't as good as people think. I was spit on, hit with objects, cursed at, threatened with death, and just all out abused. I was assaulted with human feces, searched countless dirtballs and azzhole so called professionals. I even had to do daily searches for explosives and so on, but remember we are in America and thats why we are able to have free enterprise. Who died and left you to decide if fireman, cops, and other government workers can have their cake and eat it too. As long as they are not taking bribes, using government property, and time, mind your business. If you get so pissed off at losing someone to a lowballer you will not survive long in the business. Remember that they are or have earned what little benefits they get and it doesn't matter if they have a side job. Price your services right, do good work, use common business sense and you will be fine, even if you lose a few in the process.

WJW Lawn
05-31-2007, 03:40 PM
I jut got lowballed this morning...lost a customer...whatev. Thats the way it goes.

EngineeredLawns
05-31-2007, 03:42 PM
The government workers do have a good retirement and health benefits, but their pay is also way below the private sector for doing the same job. The government workers also have to deal with putting up with people that say, I pay taxes and therefore, I pay your salary, so you basically work for me and I can treat you like crap. If one of your customers was always cussing at you and telling you to do this and that which was not part of the contract, you can tell that person where to go, but if a government employee does that, they will be fired. The amount of abuse that the police have to put up with from the public is crazy, and the school teachers have to put up with the PITA parents. The government employees do get a good retirement, their pay is not up with the private sector, so why should they not be allowed to earn some extra money.

bohiaa
05-31-2007, 04:11 PM
The government workers do have a good retirement and health benefits, but their pay is also way below the private sector for doing the same job. The government workers also have to deal with putting up with people that say, I pay taxes and therefore, I pay your salary, so you basically work for me and I can treat you like crap. If one of your customers was always cussing at you and telling you to do this and that which was not part of the contract, you can tell that person where to go, but if a government employee does that, they will be fired. The amount of abuse that the police have to put up with from the public is crazy, and the school teachers have to put up with the PITA parents. The government employees do get a good retirement, their pay is not up with the private sector, so why should they not be allowed to earn some extra money.

WOW... someone's bitter......

Dont know about all that But I do know about the part of Cussing.... and it's JUST NOT LIKE THAT.,,, NO you dont have to put up with it....

RYNOss
05-31-2007, 05:06 PM
Gee, I wonder how many flyers I could have printed or calls I could have made instead of reading this ridiculous thread?

KTO Enterprises
05-31-2007, 05:11 PM
I dont know about where you are located, but here government jobs are some of the best paying in the whole county.

KTO Enterprises
05-31-2007, 05:15 PM
I worked 3 years for uncle sam and for the most part the benefits aren't as good as people think. I was spit on, hit with objects, cursed at, threatened with death, and just all out abused. I was assaulted with human feces, searched countless dirtballs and azzhole so called professionals. I even had to do daily searches for explosives and so on, but remember we are in America and thats why we are able to have free enterprise. Who died and left you to decide if fireman, cops, and other government workers can have their cake and eat it too. As long as they are not taking bribes, using government property, and time, mind your business. If you get so pissed off at losing someone to a lowballer you will not survive long in the business. Remember that they are or have earned what little benefits they get and it doesn't matter if they have a side job. Price your services right, do good work, use common business sense and you will be fine, even if you lose a few in the process.

Its one thing if someone who works for the government gets a job working for someone else. That I don't mind. When all the firefighter landscapers get skin cancer from all the exposure to the sun, why should my tax dollars pay for their treatments? The number one problem here, and If you read my posts you will see that the vast majority are not legitimate business. They are under the table cash operations. No liability insurance either. How is that fair?

paul vroom
05-31-2007, 08:51 PM
KTO, I second that motion! Out my way the cops cut grass, and they suk at it. But what really gets me is you can always tell the cops that cut because when they are on duty its thier past time to pull over real cutters and write them up for nothing. And they do it all the time..........scum bags with badges

YardMedic
05-31-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm entertained with all of the private sector winebags here who pass off assumption as fact. Just where do people get their information about police or fire guys not being legitimate or harrassing those who can ONLY manage their lawncare business? Did you ever stop to think that the landscape truck pulled over probably did something wrong to deserve the citation? I take it that all the crybabies here have pursued the union options for landscaping? I thought not! And since I'm not claiming to know anyone else's business here, it's only my speculation that the loudest complainers here are the ones who live paycheck to paycheck and still struggle after working 60 hours in a week (or you don't have the people or business skills to keep your crews busy for a full week of work). I'll make it easy for each of the pi$$ ant landscapers here who lump the most honorable of us into the shi% pile: cry and complain about lowballers & scam artists & pi$$poor workmanship, but don't ever throw out blanket statements that include topics you obviously know nothing about. For every finger you point to me, you've got 4 more pointing back at yourself. We're all in this to do well by our families, and anyone taking the time to read & post worthwhile thoughts on lawnsite or plowsite are part of this "brotherhood" of landscapers who probably just want to see work get done right out there. I know societies breed all types, but with my first real visit to Lawnsite bringing me to this topic, I'm disappointed that the WORST and the best of folks have come to blows. Welcome to all my brothers & sisters here (you know who you are), and best of luck to those who don't know any better.

~Kevin

KTO Enterprises
05-31-2007, 10:53 PM
Well since you have called me the worst of people and accuse me of working sixty hours a week and still living paycheck to paycheck, I will tell you right now i make more in a day than most on here make in a week. I DO know how to manage my business and do a nice job of staying ahead of lowballers. The reason I generalize most of the lowballers here as govt. employees is they are the only lowballers here that last. All the pickup truck fly by nighters cant make it lowballing, as the cost of living has exceded them. But the govt, employees have a job that pays the bills, so they are looking for extra cash and cut some lawns. 95% of the govt employees here cutting are not legit companies. No tax paid, no biz license, and no liability insurance. I have a lawsuit against the county here as the invitation for bid for the firestations was not made public. A firefighter got the contract and operates without insurance or licenses. If that is not corruption I dont know what is. Govt. workers look out for other govt. workers. Its like the cop that pulls over another cop for speeding and once he sees the badge he lets him go. Or the cop whos wife or kid gets a ticket, calls and gets the ticket dropped. That is corrupt.

Babbages01
06-01-2007, 04:52 AM
I'm still in paramedic school but I'll be hired on at a fire department by this time next year.

I have all the correct licenses, liability insurance and I collect state sales tax on my services and yes, I even report it when someone pays cash.

How's that for being honest and hard working? Learn your facts and don't generalize your opinions on a whole population based on a few bad apples.

YardMedic
06-01-2007, 08:01 AM
Well since you have called me the worst of people and accuse me of working sixty hours a week and still living paycheck to paycheck, I will tell you right now i make more in a day than most on here make in a week. I DO know how to manage my business and do a nice job of staying ahead of lowballers. The reason I generalize most of the lowballers here as govt. employees is they are the only lowballers here that last. All the pickup truck fly by nighters cant make it lowballing, as the cost of living has exceded them. But the govt, employees have a job that pays the bills, so they are looking for extra cash and cut some lawns. 95% of the govt employees here cutting are not legit companies. No tax paid, no biz license, and no liability insurance. I have a lawsuit against the county here as the invitation for bid for the firestations was not made public. A firefighter got the contract and operates without insurance or licenses. If that is not corruption I dont know what is. Govt. workers look out for other govt. workers. Its like the cop that pulls over another cop for speeding and once he sees the badge he lets him go. Or the cop whos wife or kid gets a ticket, calls and gets the ticket dropped. That is corrupt.

Listen junior, I'm assuming since you can obviously read what I wrote, you can comprehend it as well. I never CALLED you anything, but if you recognized a description of yourself and assumed once again that it was meant for you, I can't help with this. You seem to get a little hot under the collar at the mere appearance of impropriety. Settle down skippy -- you've pi$$ed in the wrong guy's cheerios today.

Again, you spout of percentages and knowledge of things that you're just not going to have about others who work in this field. I'm glad you do well in your business because that's what everyone looks to do, but there's no need to be an arrogant little $hit about how your way is the only way. I recognize your attitude as someone who has been rejected by a gov't or union job and now hates them all. Grow up.

WJW Lawn
06-01-2007, 08:38 AM
I know firefighters around here that do lawn care...my neighbor as a matter of fact is a firefighter that does lawncare. Dudes 100% legit, and does a knock out job! I cant speak for everyone...but the firefighters I do know that do lawns...dont lowball at all ! They treat this as serious as you and me. That thread kinda hit me the wrong way...my cousin is a Battalion Chief back in VA...and all these guys do is...oh i dunno...put their life on the line to save ur a** when your house is burning down. Govt officials aint so bad ya know. And so what if they stick together...look at how much appreciation you have for em!

THEGOLDPRO
06-01-2007, 09:00 AM
funny story, my buddy was maintaining this ladys property, and was charging like 60 bucks or so to mow itr every week, well the lady found someone cheaper, who did a piss pour job, then found someone else after them who just didnt show up, so she calls my buddy back and wants him back, he refuses, but gives her my number, so i go out and price it at 75 per cut and she takes it,

lol she found out why its not always the best idea to go with the low ballers.

Cafemonkey
06-01-2007, 09:29 AM
I don't have a problem with a gov't employee working in the biz as a part timer... And lowballing is a problem no matter what their full-time job is.

I do have a problem with abusing benefits:

I have even personally known a few that have gotten hurt landscaping, and faked the injury at work to use their benefits to cover it.

We had a guy here that worked for county maintenance using county truck to pull his landscaping trailer on off hours. his county issued cell phone was listed in his business card as his contact number.

That's just wrong and illegal. If you are getting harrased for complaining about this, then go to the press. Anonymously, of course, get a few newspapers and TV stations down there asking the mayor/county board why tax dollars are funding private enterprise, and the guy'll be on his ass quick.

He wants free enterprise, he got it.

As for the overall idea of dealing with lowballers... Just make a few adjustments:

1. Offer more coupons for new business.
2. Offer incentive programs for repeat business (price decreases 10% after 3 years, one free month every 2 years). Just upsell something later to cover the cost.
3. Head them off at the pass with anti-lowballer advertizements. Give your customers a flyer explaining why it's a bad idea to use low-bid companies (no insurance, crappy work, usually fly-by-nighters).

That's just a few thoughts... Don't view this as taking away from your business, see it as an opportunity to grow it!

hess
06-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Let's go Low Ballers!!!!!!!!!!!!

ke5hbd
06-02-2007, 02:13 AM
I understand that you mad about loosing the job but just let it roll down hill and pick up another contract.

I mow part-time for retired people that I know and still work 40 plus hours a week at my paying job.

I have considered going full-time but I can't loose my helth insurance with my family.

hess
06-02-2007, 08:20 AM
I understand that you mad about loosing the job but just let it roll down hill and pick up another contract.

I mow part-time for retired people that I know and still work 40 plus hours a week at my paying job.

I have considered going full-time but I can't loose my helth insurance with my family. It's sad to know the people of the U.S.A have to work 60 + hrs to make ends meet and to pay for health insurance and to make end's meet.:usflag:

hoskm01
06-02-2007, 09:35 AM

Funny, when I was hired by the PD, I don't remember anything about losing my rights to do whatever the he!! I wanted to do, business wise, in my time off. I work hard at my job, risk my life for unappreciative little snots like you who think you are the only one out there who has the nuts to run your own business, and I am going to enjoy my retirement and fully paid medical dental and vision until I retire, the pay certainly doesn't justify the effort we put into these jobs.

And as for your little "county rule", its laughable, at best. If you don't enjoy your freedoms, like logging on to the Internet and whining like a 4 year old because you didn't get your way, like I enjoy coming home after working 50 hours with smelly drunks, people who want to kill me cause I have a badge, and other undesirables, to go out for three or four days and landscape in various forms, then get the he!! out of this country, you are only wasting space and using our oxygen.

ED'S LAWNCARE
06-02-2007, 10:47 AM
It's sad to know the people of the U.S.A have to work 60 + hrs to make ends meet and to pay for health insurance and to make end's meet.:usflag:

Most people don't they just live beyond their means. Most people who work more hrs is because they want more$$ or want to live higher without changing careers.
Remember you can't live like a Dr. on a policemans salary.

I work in a factory full time and run a lawncare part time. My rates are not low for my area, but I have bid low just to get into a certain area.

TN Property Services
06-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Hey to all my red line brothers and and the LEO's on here. FF/EMTP in Knoxville, TN

OK here goes KTO -

1) The reason they probably didn't open the firehouses up to public bid is b/c a FF probably got it for no money pay at all, but rather a few hours time off for each cut for each station.
And yes, that's time off he will use make money on the side and infuriate you even more.

Now that I've stirred the pot a little more. I am 25 yrs old and am a FF/Paramedic, run my lawn care business that is 100% LEGIT, and I have a wife and a 5 month old son at home. I wouldn't be cutting grass if I didn't need the extra income. I am away from my family 10 days and nights a month and don't want to be away from them any more than I have to be.
Oh, and I almost forgot, I don't work for the govt. I work for Rural Metro which is a private company that provides emergency services similar to AMR, Wackenhut, etc...

Grow up and realize your not going to be able to change it. It is what it is and there is nothing preventing anyone from making extra money in a FREE ENTERPRISE ECONOMY.

SEALAWNMANAGEMENT
06-03-2007, 12:16 AM
I don't care one bit if a person with a primary private sector job is doing lawn care on the side, so long as they are legit.

But for the public sector, they have better benefits than anyone that is self employed can get for the money, and their retirement is a dream. They pay very little in, the state makes a very large contribution to their retirement account.

KTO HOW MUCH DO YOU PUT TOWARD RETIREMENT EACH MONTH. I PAY 11 PERCENT OF MY SALARY INTO MY RETIREMENT. PLUS SOME EXTRA INTO SEPARATE RETIREMENTS. MY HEATHCARE IS FREE. BUT I KNOW FELLOW FIREFIGHTERS WHO PAY AN EXTRA 300-400 A CHECK FOR FAMILY BENEFITS.JUST BECAUSE YOU KNOW A FEW BAD PEOPLE DOSEN'T MEAN YOU CAN MAKE GENERALIZATIONS. I HAVE HAVE PICKED UP BUSINESS THIS YEAR FROM SO CALLED LEGIT FREE ENTERPRISE LCO BECAUSE THEY WERE DEADBEATS AND DID NOT DO THERE JOBS. HOWEVER I DO NOT THINK THAT ALL LCOS WHO DO IT FOR A LIVING ARE DEADBEATS. I DO ALL OF MY BUSINESS LEGITIMATELY. I HAVE ALL THE INSURANCE INCLUDING WORKMANS COMP. BUSINESS LICENSE. AND STATE PESTICIDE LICENSE.

ITS UNDRSTADABLE THAT YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT WHAT WE DO BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE DON'T.

hoskm01
06-03-2007, 09:35 AM
KTO HOW MUCH DO YOU PUT TOWARD RETIREMENT EACH MONTH. I PAY 11 PERCENT OF MY SALARY INTO MY RETIREMENT. PLUS SOME EXTRA INTO SEPARATE RETIREMENTS. MY HEATHCARE IS FREE. BUT I KNOW FELLOW FIREFIGHTERS WHO PAY AN EXTRA 300-400 A CHECK FOR FAMILY BENEFITS.JUST BECAUSE YOU KNOW A FEW BAD PEOPLE DOSEN'T MEAN YOU CAN MAKE GENERALIZATIONS. I HAVE HAVE PICKED UP BUSINESS THIS YEAR FROM SO CALLED LEGIT FREE ENTERPRISE LCO BECAUSE THEY WERE DEADBEATS AND DID NOT DO THERE JOBS. HOWEVER I DO NOT THINK THAT ALL LCOS WHO DO IT FOR A LIVING ARE DEADBEATS. I DO ALL OF MY BUSINESS LEGITIMATELY. I HAVE ALL THE INSURANCE INCLUDING WORKMANS COMP. BUSINESS LICENSE. AND STATE PESTICIDE LICENSE.

ITS UNDRSTADABLE THAT YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT WHAT WE DO BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE DON'T.

Everyone but KTO agrees with you, but you dont have to YELL.

KTO Enterprises
06-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Seems as if there are more that agree with me than you think. I have recieved several private messages that support me, but they are too afraid to post their feelings with their name attached. You dont have to like or agree with me, I dont really care.

Lawnamus
06-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Sounds like a good time for "Round-UP Ballons" to the yard

Just kidding, but protect yourself. Never do a cleanup of a property over a long period of time. When you start or take over a mess, only take it on with a one-time clean up fee, make it worth your while for this very purpose of losing it down the road. Sure, everyone wants to play for the future "Buck" by showing what you can do etc., etc., but now you know why you can't do it. The only other way to protect yourself is with your contract but lets face it, unless you are talking commercial work, is it really worth the hassle of court etc. Small claims is not bad, but if you are going to fight the customer who gets rid of you, stipulate in your contract that if they break the agreement, they have to pay you all of the money left in the contract provision regardless of whether you do the work. Its like the apartments do by charging a break the lease charge. 2 months rent plus damages. 2 months of lawn service would give you plenty time to find other customers

YardMedic
06-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Seems as if there are more that agree with me than you think. I have recieved several private messages that support me, but they are too afraid to post their feelings with their name attached.

You don't have to make $hit up just to sound big, so give it up. You've lost any chance of credibility with me and probably a vast majority of reasonable people here. Way to go cr@pping on 2 of the largest unions/brotherhoods in the world.

KTO Enterprises
06-03-2007, 01:31 PM
I don't care if i have any credibility with you or not. And I do not give one iota of concern whether or not someone was offended by what I said. And I don't make anything up. There are always a lot of people that have thoughts or opinions that rock the boat but are too afraid to speak publicly.

KTO Enterprises
06-03-2007, 01:38 PM

I have already saved for my retirement. As for what you have contributed towards retirement, government retirement packages are set up that you only have to work for 20-25 years before you can retire with full benefits and pension. Show me one private sector employee that makes around the same amount as you and will have a 20 or 25 year retirement with full benefits and pension. My girlfriend is becoming a teacher and after seeing how the retirement is set up I am infuriated that governement workers get to retire at 20 to 25 years. They should have to work until retirement age (65) just like anyone else.

Our country is going broke on the people that get 2 and 3 government retirements.

FiveOJoe
06-03-2007, 02:01 PM
I have already saved for my retirement. As for what you have contributed towards retirement, government retirement packages are set up that you only have to work for 20-25 years before you can retire with full benefits and pension. Show me one private sector employee that makes around the same amount as you and will have a 20 or 25 year retirement with full benefits and pension. My girlfriend is becoming a teacher and after seeing how the retirement is set up I am infuriated that governement workers get to retire at 20 to 25 years. They should have to work until retirement age (65) just like anyone else.

Our country is going broke on the people that get 2 and 3 government retirements.

Worked on Christmas for 20 years while my kids were home opening presents. Worked most Holidays and 14 years of nights. Dealt with drunken idiots and ignorant people my whole life. Pulled dead kids out of burning houses and swimming pools, then had to go tell thier parents. Dealt with the most disgusting people on earth.

Yep. Never made a fortune, but retired on a full pension at 48. Full benefits for life, and when I die, my wife gets my pension! Plus I never got a speeding ticket, always got free coffee and never paid for donuts!!

When I'm 63 I 'll collect Social Security too!:)

Got a problem with any of that, too bad.

KTO Enterprises
06-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Plus I never got a speeding ticket,

Got a problem with any of that, too bad.

So you are another one of the ones that thinks that cops should be able to get away with breaking the law?

When a cop hits your family speeding and kills your wife or children, be sure to tell me where the funeral is. I would love to shake your hand and tell you that you got your wish.

YardMedic
06-03-2007, 03:51 PM
And I don't make anything up. There are always a lot of people that have thoughts or opinions that rock the boat but are too afraid to speak publicly.

So I guess the world of discontent channels its feelings through you then? You're just the beacon of justice that our country needed, right? You seem to have all the answers from your 24 years on the planet. Tell me, please, how it is that your side of this issue is the cut-and-dry, black-and-white only way for municipal employees to function. And tell me also, if my 20-year retirement is such a ridiculous theory for society to grasp, why hasn't it been changed by the do-gooders like yourself? Are you just one to make a lot of noise without any follow-up action, or is it that you just don't like the fact that others do well in a way that you weren't able to get into?

FiveOJoe
06-03-2007, 05:05 PM
So you are another one of the ones that thinks that cops should be able to get away with breaking the law?

Yeah, I guess I'm one of THOSE ones. Good thing we have all you perfect citizens out there to balance things out. Hey, I race too. Sure hope that's allowed in your little self-written bible Kevin.:dancing: :dancing:

gary6768
06-04-2007, 07:56 AM
I'm a Suffolk County Police Officer and we are the highest paid in the nation. I make with little or no over time $$125,000 a year with 20 year retirement and full benefits. I work three 12 hour shifts per week. I have to do lawn care on the side due to rising gas prices.

Do any of you realize how much $$$ it cost to fill up my 46 foot Sea Ray.

Greenguy1
06-04-2007, 08:44 AM
I am with you KTO, we do live in a free enterprise but someone always has the upper hand and takes advantage of it, and it is legal, (with some exceptions)I compete against a ret. fireftr. he is a good guy and does good work but I had to get after him about his pricing. I think there is a growing trend towards single entrepreneurs, I myself am considering selling my business and working for cash,It seems that is what America wants,that is why Wal-mart is so successful, Americans are cheap and donot understand the economic impacts of being cheap, yeah,, I shop in Wal-mart too! I have to.. they are one of my accounts, but I also patronize the local stores and Hardwares as well. Anyway I know your frustration, just make as much as you can and get out! and do it their way it is the only way you can compete, make them work till they drop, remember it is not all about the money to us like it is to them, that's why they have 2 jobs they need the money!!!!!!..

bohiaa
06-04-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm a Suffolk County Police Officer and we are the highest paid in the nation. I make with little or no over time $$125,000 a year with 20 year retirement and full benefits. I work three 12 hour shifts per week. I have to do lawn care on the side due to rising gas prices.

LMAO...........now that's a good one.............:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

YardMedic
06-04-2007, 09:57 AM

Gary, that's awesome! It just goes to show that it's nobody else's business what you do with your landscape income or what your motives are.

General Landscaping
06-04-2007, 08:23 PM

I'm about half that size and it's taking $320.... at the auto pump. I'd hate to try it at a marina or worse yet, in the Bahamas:cry:

All Season Bill
06-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by KTO Enterprises
I have used the old roundup on a few people that have ditched me to a lowballin part timer

_________

Come on! Unprofessional things like that will come back to bite you.
Would you want a cook to do something in your food if you pissed him off?

One time I had a customer try to argue with me and even called me a liar.
I just held my hands in the air and said "You know? I don't need customers like you. I have too many satisfied customers." I turned around and walked away and it actually felt great.

lurch
06-05-2007, 12:20 AM

I was going to stay out of this thread until I read this...

I, myself, am a govt. employee. I am Active Duty Marine Corps. I run my business 100% legit and I'm proud of it. I don't use my 'position' to my advantage towards my business in any way.

Now, KTO, I'm going to say this as nice as I can....SHUT THE F-BOMB UP!!!
I have been to the dirt and seem some stuff that would make you piss in your own eyes to try and burn it out. Don't you dare come on here and act like all govt. employees are wrong. I happen to think I've already earned a retirement. I've only been in about six years but it feels like decades. It's people like you in the sixties that spit and pissed on Vietnam heros coming back from war. People like you that called us dispicable names. Shame on you for stereotyping a whole nation of heros becuse you lost one precious account. If you were any good at business as you claim to be you could replace that customer in a heartbeat. Instead you come on here and make silly generalizations.....

Think about all the facts before you open your mouth again, Boy....

Busto963
06-05-2007, 12:22 AM
KTO you have thrown out so much horse crap that is unbelievable. Lets get a few things straight:

1) Even posting using Round up on someone else’s property is disturbing, not to mention petty and un-manly. Do you have a serious anti-social personality disorder? The vindictiveness of your posts suggests that you do.

2) If you think that “government” jobs are so easy and so high paying, then by all means get one! Your “sour grapes” suggest that you cannot, which is not surprising, as GS jobs have gotten very competitive.

3) Those police, fireman and military etc do jobs that can get them killed, maimed or crippled in a heart beat, sometimes for something as stupid as pulling over someone with a burnt out tail light. That is something your pampered butt riding on a mower does not seem to understand. How much is it worth it to you to maybe suffer 70% burns on your face or hands when a propane tank blows or a roof collapses on you? $500 a month for life isn’t much to pay a guy coming back from Iraq without his legs or arms.

4) Your 24 and have your retirement taken care of - yeah right!

5) Why do you have a problem with the people who teach children getting a good retirement? Most of us with kids think the world of them and work our butts off for our families. A good teacher with a Masters degree (a common requirement in Ohio and PA schools) could make significantly more in other fields.

KTO Enterprises
06-05-2007, 12:31 AM
I was going to stay out of this thread until I read this...

I, myself, am a govt. employee. I am Active Duty Marine Corps. I run my business 100% legit and I'm proud of it. I don't use my 'position' to my advantage towards my business in any way.

Now, KTO, I'm going to say this as nice as I can....SHUT THE F-BOMB UP!!!
I have been to the dirt and seem some stuff that would make you piss in your own eyes to try and burn it out. Don't you dare come on here and act like all govt. employees are wrong. I happen to think I've already earned a retirement. I've only been in about six years but it feels like decades. It's people like you in the sixties that spit and pissed on Vietnam heros coming back from war. People like you that called us dispicable names. Shame on you for stereotyping a whole nation of heros becuse you lost one precious account. If you were any good at business as you claim to be you could replace that customer in a heartbeat. Instead you come on here and make silly generalizations.....

Think about all the facts before you open your mouth again, Boy....

Only thing in Texas is steers and queers and I bet your head doesnt have any horns on it.

No one made you join the military. Both My grandparents were In the Military, and one served in the 4th marine division that served on Iwo jima. He was there the day the flag was raised in 1946. if you want me to shut up jump on a plane and come to SC and try. I live about 2 miles from Parris Island.

Now you have generalized me and think I am the type that spit on vietnam vets. The did not get to chose the battles they fought. we had a terrible person in office at the time. If you chose to take a road in life you should have to work until the same age as me before you can collect retirement.

ke5hbd
06-05-2007, 12:35 AM
No offense here guys but I think this entire post needs to be done away with.

KTO Enterprises
06-05-2007, 12:35 AM
4) Your 24 and have your retirement taken care of - yeah right!

What do you think you know about me? I could retire tomorrow if I wanted to. I enjoy what I do and will do It until the day I die. I made more money than you can comprehend on 1 stock. Google. I bought $20,000 worth when it was 5 dollars per share. I sold my shares just north of the 300 per share mark.

And just so you know I spent over 200,000 in one year on racing alone.