PDA

View Full Version : Need help with new lawn

JLMJ1WPB
05-30-2007, 06:16 PM
I recently moved to Raleigh Nc and need some advice on starting a new lawn.My current lawn has little to no grass and is mostly dirt. I want to have a sprinkler system installed and have the lawn sodded. Here is my question, do I need to till up the lawn or can I just mow the remaining grass to the shortest setting, areate, apply fertizler, lime and then sod? The type of sod I am thinking about is Zoysia

RAlmaroad
05-30-2007, 06:28 PM
I have lots of friends in Raleigh and know it well also. I think y'all will be going on water restrictions. If you can manage, I'd wait till fall. Sod is going to take a lot of water in this heat to stay alive. Springler system will run about $3K if you do it right--I might beat that a little depending on system. Are you on city water or do you have a well? What is your reason for that Zoysia? Ever thought about a pretty fescue? There are several varieties that love sun and tolerate shade. Give it a thought and write back. BTW, what part of Raleigh are you located? Roy

JLMJ1WPB
05-30-2007, 07:15 PM
We are on community well with no restrictions.The reason we are thinking Zoyzia is easy maintenance. We are told fescue requires alot of water and we are not really interested in that type of sod.Please reply.What did you think of the question on prep of yard?And overall?

EdTLawn
05-31-2007, 11:33 PM
Which type of fescue can tolerate sun and shade ? I always thought that fescue was good for shade and non tolerant for sun. The majority of seed mix for eastern Canada is an equal mix of 60% kentucky bluegrass for sun and 30% fescue for shade with a little bit of 10% preannial ryegrass.