PDA

View Full Version : Just Starting

YARDCARVER
05-30-2007, 10:02 PM
I have just started a lawn business and the hardest thing I have experienced so far is not the jobs, but getting the jobs. Does anybody have any suggestions on obtaining new contracts and how to go about it. I have spoke with reality companies, rental companies and just plain word of mouth from a few customers I already have. I hear people saying that they are turning business away because they can't hand;e anymore. My prices ae reasonable and the work is good. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

WHIPPLE5.7
05-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Get some cards and door hangers so you can better target the places that look neglected. Poeple will call you if you hit the right houses. Also look for areas in the outskirts that other LCOs turn down or haven't hit yet.

ACutAbovesiny
05-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Try offering a refferal program to existing customers. Something like $20 off of an existing customers bill for everyone they reffer (and that signs up with you). It might be smart to put something in it that states that the new customer must be within 1 mile or 2 miles of original customer.

Lohse's Lawn Service
05-30-2007, 11:27 PM
In my own experience, word-of-mouth has been a big factor. I started out with my grandma's yard and her 21" Craftsman push mower when I was 16 and 5 years later I now have 65 customers and commercial equipment. If you do a good job, you will eventually catch the eyes of people passing by who might be interested. Also, go to your local sign business and get some 12"x18" or even better 18"x24" yard signs. If you already have customers, ask them if they would allow you to post a sign in the yard. No harm in asking. Good luck to you.

YARDCARVER
05-31-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the advise. You know it isn't the work that is hard, it's getting the accounts. I guess I'll just keep plugging away and hope for the best. Thanks again.