PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Applicators

Fox Fire
05-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Can someone answer this question? What do you do about people using chemicals illegaly. I mean the ones that are running around using roundup,pre-emergents,post-emergents etc. Stuff they buy down at the home depot. I guess what I'm getting at, is I am having to compete aginst these guys for business. This is my first year in the lawn care business as a business owner. 100% legal:confused: in every way, and it cost me money and time. It is a pain in the butt to have to see these guys on a daily basis and know they are doing business illegaly.

Victor
05-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Call your local Dept. of Agriculture office and report them. They'd love to know about anyone who's doing illegal apps.

Ric
05-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Can someone answer this question? What do you do about people using chemicals illegaly. I mean the ones that are running around using roundup,pre-emergents,post-emergents etc. Stuff they buy down at the home depot. I guess what I'm getting at, is I am having to compete aginst these guys for business. This is my first year in the lawn care business as a business owner. 100% legal:confused: in every way, and it cost me money and time. It is a pain in the butt to have to see these guys on a daily basis and know they are doing business illegaly.

Fox Fire

Unfortunately about the only thing you can do is Jump up and down and Scream. It has been my experience the Wage slaves in the dept of Ag are happy chasing after the legal guys who's names and address they already have.

Runner
05-30-2007, 11:09 PM
We have a guy here that is aggressive. He gave me his cell phone number and told me don't EVEN hesitate to call.

ArizPestWeed
05-30-2007, 11:11 PM
I don't snitch , never

turf hokie
05-31-2007, 07:47 AM
I don't snitch , never

Yeah, because that helps keep food on the table.

Call the DEC or your governing agency. Our guys will usually get there pretty quickly. All we need is a license plate and address where they are.

Smallaxe
05-31-2007, 10:23 AM
I have worked a single neighborhood for over 20 years. I don't do herbicides in my neighborhood, they bring in Chem-Lawn for that, or do it them selves. That may change however in that I don't like Chem-Lawn in my neighborhood any more.
How much trouble is it to become liscenced in Wisconsin? I get the feeling it is not worth the hassle because there is no real competition for Chem-Lawn.

buddhaman
05-31-2007, 10:36 AM
Where in central WI are you from smallaxe? I am also in central WI. I do not have certifications to spray pesticides. I have had rival companies call and turn me in for spraying pesticides when I haven't sprayed. I sub all my spraying out. Disgruntled because they lost some jobs to me. The guy did follow up on the call though.

The mayor
05-31-2007, 07:49 PM
How do you even know the persons are doing apps illegally. I wish I had the time to run around checking up on people...but I don't.

turf hokie
05-31-2007, 08:47 PM
How do you even know the persons are doing apps illegally. I wish I had the time to run around checking up on people...but I don't.

Need to have stickers on each side of the truck to show that you have your license. Very easy to see the stickers or not.

Smallaxe
05-31-2007, 09:20 PM
Where in central WI are you from smallaxe? I am also in central WI. I do not have certifications to spray pesticides. I have had rival companies call and turn me in for spraying pesticides when I haven't sprayed. I sub all my spraying out. Disgruntled because they lost some jobs to me. The guy did follow up on the call though.

Do you know the Chain O' Lakes? North Central is pretty large. What town are you around?
It might be simplest to sub out the spraying, but being with these people for 20 years I need to be very sure of the subs. Did you ever consider the certification?
.rick.

americanlawn
05-31-2007, 09:53 PM
I know of applicators who did a superb & thorough job (top notch), yet they were not "liscenced" for a day or two. These employees did a more careful job than my most of my seasoned veterans (who were "lisenced").

Then there are the questions on the state examination....hmmm>>very few quailifying questions had nothing to do whatsoever with our industry (common complaint).
We got caught twice over the past 20 years. Seems our guys went out on their own running their routes...then at the end of the day, they went down and "passed the test" the same day. So they were actually in violation of State law for that one day. (I hate to be a liberal-hating guy here, but....?)

So just because one does not answer irrelevent questions on a state test does never mean the individual is "not a qualified applicator". To me, it's all about training instead of heading down to a testing station.

jrc lawncare
05-31-2007, 10:27 PM
Need to have stickers on each side of the truck to show that you have your license. Very easy to see the stickers or not. Ding, Ding, we have a winner. All three of my trucks are placarded, plus, application equipment. That shows you have the business license & your pesticide license.

jose85
05-31-2007, 10:53 PM
get over it.....

GrazerZ
06-01-2007, 12:05 AM
I'll get over it when the stinkin guys doing illegal apps get fined or stop. in the mean time I generally see people who think it is snitching or petty to report someone as a person who does'nt respect what he does as a real trade. I have worked hard for my license and don't believe it is fair to let someone else act like they know what they are doing when they don't. We get alot of flack in this industry a being anti environment. who do you think does more damage? the guy trying hard to do things right or the guy who won't even take the time to get his license to apply? "sure its ok mame to apply 19-19-19 on your lawn. in fact I'll put extra down. And don't worry about the lake the ferts good for it too! While I'm at it I'll put down this talstar next the the waters edge to keep those bugs away too.";)

jose85
06-01-2007, 12:18 AM
work hard to get ur license....lol the test it self was to eazy..... i didnt even read the dam books and passed it...i can care less whos doing it..because at the end of the day they will call the pro's when they **** it up.. :)

JB1
06-01-2007, 12:21 AM
jeez, take some chill pills.

Rcgm
06-01-2007, 12:38 AM
I say get over it as well. If some guy doing illegal apps is hurting your business you need to go get another job.Because the key word in my business is quality I have been in business for 13 years.Those who quit 9 times out of 10 come back.

RCGM
Brad

ArizPestWeed
06-01-2007, 01:20 AM
Yeah , stop worrying about the other guy , do your own thing .
Whiners

Ric
06-01-2007, 02:20 AM
Whiners

Airhead

We might just see Eye to Eye on Somethings. :D

ArizPestWeed
06-01-2007, 02:41 AM
Airhead

We might just see Eye to Eye on Somethings. :D

On many things , but that ruins the fun , don't it ?

Smallaxe
06-01-2007, 07:36 AM
I'll get over it when the stinkin guys doing illegal apps get fined or stop. in the mean time I generally see people who think it is snitching or petty to report someone as a person who does'nt respect what he does as a real trade. I have worked hard for my license and don't believe it is fair to let someone else act like they know what they are doing when they don't. We get alot of flack in this industry a being anti environment. who do you think does more damage? the guy trying hard to do things right or the guy who won't even take the time to get his license to apply? "sure its ok mame to apply 19-19-19 on your lawn. in fact I'll put extra down. And don't worry about the lake the ferts good for it too! While I'm at it I'll put down this talstar next the the waters edge to keep those bugs away too.";)

I will bet ChemLawn is liscenced. The bad 'environmental' reputation comes mostly from them and 'big' operators like them. The ones who are scared the college kids are going to steal their business during the summer.
The business is integrity and quality. Liscensing is just a measure of public protection against stupidity.
It has become however a 'license' to provide unnecessary applications of anything and everything you can dump on an ususpecting client. I don't respect that at all.
.rick.

turf hokie
06-01-2007, 08:14 AM
I don't worry about anybody taking work from me. My lawns and trees speak for themselves.

It peeves me that I have to pay thousands of dollars a year on the following
* DEC licenses for me
* DEC licenses for my guys
* DEC licenses for my business
* Continuing education credits to keep the licenses current
* Additional categories on my home improvement licenses
* Additional pesticide riders on my insurance policy

Then we have
* Spot inspections in the field
* Random record keeping audits in the office
* Year end reports to the state

And the unlicensed guy has to do what??? Apply on sunday and at 4:30 in the morning b/c he knows he is wrong.

So yes I pay attention to it, it is only right. But I dont lose sleep over it b/c there will always be the guys that don't do things above board.

Bryan

Smallaxe
06-01-2007, 08:47 AM
It peeves me that I have to pay thousands of dollars a year on the following
* DEC licenses for me
* DEC licenses for my guys
* DEC licenses for my business
* Continuing education credits to keep the licenses current
* Additional categories on my home improvement licenses
* Additional pesticide riders on my insurance policy

Then we have
* Spot inspections in the field
* Random record keeping audits in the office
* Year end reports to the state

Bryan[/QUOTE]

That is why ChemLawn wins. I am not going to go through all of that headache. The best I can do is find a sub that works a common sense program according to the individual needs of the client.
.rick.

vegomatic40
06-01-2007, 09:35 AM
State licensing provides several benefits but it also helps to protect you, the LCO from potential litigation from customers. If unlicensed applicators want to run the risk of doing work without being compliant I say "knock yourself out chief." I'll be there at the auction picking up your equipment for pennies on the dollar.

Ric
06-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Yo

Years ago I complained to my Chem salesman about the price of Dursban Pro per 2 gallon jug. The Salesman was quick to point out how many yards I could kill Chinch bugs on with that jug and how big a margin I was making on it. If your Licensing Fees, Insurance, CEUs, Etc are that much of a burden maybe you need to take a long hard look at your business.

I am Semi retired and don't even work part time. The few accounts I have means over head becomes an even higher percentage of income than a full time company. However I still seem to make Pin money to supplement my Retirement. However I am not paying high monthly payments for equipment or Advertisement.

turf hokie
06-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Yo

If your Licensing Fees, Insurance, CEUs, Etc are that much of a burden maybe you need to take a long hard look at your business.

Did not mean to imply that it was a burden on my biz. Just an unfair advantage to those that do not follow the rules and regs. And in NY it is probably a larger advantage than other places.

Competetion does not bother me nor does being 100% above board. It is the only way I would do it. But I prefer to be on a level playing field with my competition as far as what is required by the state. If you can get your material, labor, insurance cheaper good for you. I need to do more homework. But if you are not abiding by the LAWS ser forth by the state, shame on you cheating, and shame on me for not doing something about it.

Fox Fire
06-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Thanks, I needed that. It is just so frustrating to take the state exams, get my commercial license and then my contractors license, which is required. Then all these yah-hoos are illegal and nobody cares. As far as riding around and checking on them, you don't have to they are so blatent about it. That coupled with all the other illegals lowballing, kinda gets to me. Just had to vent. Thanks

Moonlight
06-01-2007, 08:52 PM
I always turn unlicensed applicators into the DOA. Usually the DOA will shut them down the same day. Get a tag number and digital photo. Email it to the appropriate agency. They are very aggresive and have heard about some fines in the $1000 dollar range. My licenses and insurance runs about $4500 per year. How is this fair that someone else is out running around without being licensed and insured. I do termites, right of way, ornamental, general pest and fertilizer.

GrazerZ
06-02-2007, 12:20 AM
As far as I'm concerned, don't say anything if you don't want to. Turn a blind eye. I'll keep turning them in. As far as my work goes, it does speak for its self. Liscence, yea that wasn't the hardest part agreed, its the learning from that spring board that seperates the good from the bad. I do however, go out of my way to educate people on the requirements for applications. But if Tell them they need a liscence and I still see them doing apps, I call it in. If you think thats petty, whatever. I'm a very honest person and am very upfront and straight with people. Therefore I hate liars and those who misrepresent themselves as something they are not. Just the way it is here...for me.

Ric
06-02-2007, 10:09 AM
The lack of education and the misapplication of great chemicals is the real problem. Not the fact they are unlicensed. Even licensed people don't know or understand WTF they are doing in many cases. Misuse of the chemicals that are the tools of our trade, end up getting them ban by the EPA.

Chlordane's final demise in this country came when some idiot tried to treat Dry Wood Termites in a attic of a wood frame house in New York. The Termites ended up being controlled when the house was torn down and ship to a EPA incinerator at a absorbed cost. However Chlordane is still manufactured in this country by Union Carbide and shipped all over the world.

PSUTURFGEEK
06-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Another problem I see is states that let a business have one licensed applicater and like 20 technician cards under his or her license, this is like letting any idiot apply pesticides with little or 0 knowledge..

Ric
06-03-2007, 01:38 AM
Another problem I see is states that let a business have one licensed applicater and like 20 technician cards under his or her license, this is like letting any idiot apply pesticides with little or 0 knowledge..

TurfGeek

Florida is Guilty of this. I can legally have an Infinite number of Idiots working under my License.

dougmartin2003
06-06-2007, 01:44 PM
i know i will get flamed for saying this, but sometimes the laws are full of sh#t, the only pesticide i ever use is roundup and i know that i have to have a license for it, but i not going to waste my time right now going for the test just to get permission to spray a little roundup on a few sidewalks and driveways, when walmart and homedepot sell millions of gallons a day of the stuff to homeowners who dont read the label
now i will apply for my license when i start getting heavy in that side of the work, but come on guys it not like we are taking bags of weed and feed and dumping them in a pond or lake or pouring roundup down the sink drain, hell i wont spray even if there is a slight wind blowing. if i get a customer who wants control of the weeds in there lawn then i will sub it out, because i dont know enough about that side of lawn care yet, but how hard is it to go to walmart or homedepot and get a bag of weed and feed and READ the label and use a spreader to apply it.

Turf Professionals Inc.
06-06-2007, 03:19 PM
This site is intended to help each other further our profession. I am not trying to be a smart a$$, but most of what I have read thus far is just a bunch of whining. I would love for someone to point me in the direction I need to go so that I can get liscenced. Not that, I have ever spread any applications illegally. The most I have ever sprayed is some weed -b- gone and maybe some ant killer. I am not very knowledgable at all in this field, but I am interested. So, if you have some time, please link me somewhere so I can get some education about some training and some steps that I need to take to get licensed. Thanks a lot guys.

ATVracer
06-06-2007, 03:39 PM
The reason we complain is because we(we being LEGAL applicators) spend a few thousand dollars to get licensed, carry the proper insurance and even more thousands on equipment to ensure that we are following state LAWS. In addition to this we spend countless hours making sure we are attending continuing education seminars to keep our license. I doubt any of you would hire or want an untrained or uneducated carpenter, plumber, HVAC person working on your house or quack nurses or doctors taking care of you. The laws are there for a reason I assume probably in the past too many idiots were out destroying people's property by mis-applying products.

If you want to get licensed read the sticky at the top of this thread. Until then leave your spreader and sprayer in your garage.

I went to get licensed this past winter basically for a couple large properties I maintain. I have since expanded my business and have covered the costs associated with all the training and equipment after the first two rounds. Believe me it is worth it if you want to increase your revenue.

Turf Professionals Inc.
06-06-2007, 04:21 PM
thanks for the advice! I am going to go get licensed! After all, anything worth doing, is worth doing dang right! Just so every one is clear where I stand (not that any one cares), but the licensed people have a valid argument IMO.

dougmartin2003
06-06-2007, 11:22 PM
just because you have your license, dosnt mean your doing it right, but get your license anyway, i myself just order the core manual for missouri pesticide applicator and will be studing it this winter

Rayholio
06-07-2007, 12:28 AM
The problem for me isn't so much the other guy who isn't licensed... it's that I'm opened up to MORE scrutiny because I am.

These spot inspections and such are a total waste of tax dollars, especially when they generally target the law abiding applicators, and not the ones w/o training of any kind.

I believe that lack of training is self correcting... TruGreen loses 40% of their customer base every year. (possibly due to poor training) but we know that they have a basic knowledge because they have passed the tests.

So, IMO the DOA should be focusing on people W/O licenses (basic training) for the purpose of avoiding ecological disasters. For example, Everyone who has passed that test knows not to spray or dump in ponds, and how to manage a clean up... properly dispose of containers, etc. The people w/o licenses don't even have that basic knowledge, and should there for be a larger threat in the DOAs eyes.

So why are they picking on me?

dougmartin2003
06-07-2007, 01:15 AM
its because you are registered, they know where you live and what you do, its easier for them to find you, the unlicensed guy they know nothing about, its big brother man im telling you.they they have hundreds of people sitting around a big table thinking this sh^t up, just to keep a closer eye on the population and for the sake of national security, but thats other topic we wont get in right now

ArizPestWeed
06-07-2007, 01:27 AM
Load of crap .
BS reasons .

The reason we complain is because we(we being LEGAL applicators) spend a few thousand dollars to get licensed, carry the proper insurance and even more thousands on equipment to ensure that we are following state LAWS. In addition to this we spend countless hours making

richard coffman
06-07-2007, 08:57 PM
I like the idea of calling the dept. of ag. and giving plate # and guy's description. i can't really say i care what others say concerning teliing on others, i'm legal and exspect others to follow the same as i do. i'f i'm running through all the hoops, i can't see why others can't do the same. just doesn't make any since.

turf hokie
06-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Whiners

Im not in high school anymore. so you worry about about making friends and I will turn in the people that do not follow the LAW. The state is understaffed and only really follows up on complaints.

unit40
06-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Think of this though. You might feel like turning them in...dropping a dime. But I have a license too. Do all of us licensed applicators follow every letter of the law every time? Do we do exactly what it says on the label every time? Do we wear long sleeve shirts and all of the protective gear we are supposed to? Do we launder our clothing seperatlt....blah bla bla... I got a call from the "Feds" who happened to be driving by one of my municipal properties,because i put out too many little yellow signs...they said that they didn't want to get any calls and that over-posting was worse than underposting. But I posted exactly how I should have.....

dougmartin2003
06-08-2007, 11:43 AM
what about the small guy like me that doesnt do any pesticide apps, i not going to pay the insurance and the license fee just to spray roundup on a freeking sidwalk crack, i have general liability it case something happens, but im sure it would cost more if i was doing chemical apps. i understand that by the law, yes i need a licence, and if i was going to get in that side of the business then yes i would be legal, its the right thing to do. but if i see someone out hear that is just spraying roundup on the sidewalk or driveway that doesnt bother me at all, you guys need to stop worring about the other guy and get on with you life and your job or it will put you 6ft under, if anyone wants to turn me in feel free to let me know, i will give you my name and address so the inspector will find me easier, and i will tell him straight to his face to go f#ck himself

dougmartin2003
06-08-2007, 11:50 AM
just because someone has there license does that really mean that they know what there doing, i mean i know people that has a drivers license but i would never ride with them

Rayholio
06-08-2007, 02:55 PM
To turn someone in, or not to turn someone in is one thing.. but one undeniable fact is:

If you're spraying pesticides without a license, you are breaking the law.

period.

If you get caught, you have no one to blame but yourself.

unit28
06-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Think of this though. You might feel like turning them in...dropping a dime. But I have a license too. Do all of us licensed applicators follow every letter of the law every time? Do we do exactly what it says on the label every time? Do we wear long sleeve shirts and all of the protective gear we are supposed to? Do we launder our clothing seperatlt....blah bla bla... I got a call from the "Feds" who happened to be driving by one of my municipal properties,because i put out too many little yellow signs...they said that they didn't want to get any calls and that over-posting was worse than underposting. But I posted exactly how I should have.....

yep, do as you should,
That license gives us the right to do the right thing.

Stillwater
06-10-2007, 05:40 AM
Ya how do you know they dont?

crawdad
06-10-2007, 08:22 AM
..., if anyone wants to turn me in feel free to let me know, i will give you my name and address so the inspector will find me easier, and i will tell him straight to his face to go f#ck himself

No need to turn you in, you're doing it here, admitting to spraying illegally...

philk17088
06-10-2007, 10:02 AM
what about the small guy like me that doesnt do any pesticide apps, i not going to pay the insurance and the license fee just to spray roundup on a freeking sidwalk crack, i have general liability it case something happens, but im sure it would cost more if i was doing chemical apps.
And in there lies the problem.
You say you don't do pest applications then say you spray roundup.
You are too freaking cheap to buy the right insurance and the license fee.
Go ask your insurance agent what would be your liability for a pesticide spill.
Ask him if you are covered since you don't want to pay.

dougmartin2003
06-10-2007, 11:39 AM
hell i have had the same gallon of roundup for 2 years, i hardly use the stuff. i say i dont do pest apps i mean i dont spread weed and feed on peoples lawns. if i was doing that then yes i would be glad to drive 2 hours to jefferson city and take the test and then drive 2 hours back home. i only carry a 32 once spray of roundup in the toolbox so if i spill it. whats the worst that could happen. but i will agree that yes i do need a license, but come on you guys get to defensive you you hear somespraying just roundup, why shouldnt homeowners be licensed to spray it, its only fair.

dougmartin2003
06-10-2007, 11:41 AM
what about people that go to the gas station and fill the car so full of fuel that is spills out of the car and on the ground, that **** is a chemical spill, but i never see anyone calling the epa when it happens

dougmartin2003
06-10-2007, 11:45 AM
what about the the homeowner who drops a 50lb bag of weed and feed out of the truck all over the ground, thats a chemical spill does anyone call the proper authorities

dougmartin2003
06-10-2007, 11:50 AM
what about the guys who do pressure washing and use bleach to clean a fence or deck or a house, bleach is a chemical but no one says anything to them, do they need a license.

ATVracer
06-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Shutup already!

Ric
06-10-2007, 12:18 PM
dougmartin2003

We don't make the laws, just try and live by them. In theory the law is supposed to be equal for all. But in practice it is far from Fair, or else MJ, OJ, Robert Blake, Kobe Bryan, Etc Etc wouldn't be walking free. Learn to live with it because you aren't going to change it. Do the right thing and sleep well at night and be proud to look yourself in the mirror.

dougmartin2003
06-10-2007, 12:37 PM
i do sleep well at night, and i agree with everyone on here about having a license, but everytime some one comes on here and says anything about roundup, the first ? that pops up from someone else is do you have a license, take a look at other areas of business like pressure washing for example where they use bleach these guys use more bleach on one job then i use roundup in 2 years but i get the BIG ? do you have a license,if not then im a scrub and unprofessional. i have a business license, federal ein# truck insurance and general liabiltiy insurance. you guys sure know how to make someone feel good.

dougmartin2003
06-10-2007, 12:41 PM
i know nothing about applying weed and feed to peoples lawns thats WHY I DONT DO IT. but i can get the pesicide core manual and memorise it and take the test and pass and get my license, NOW the big ? is now that i got my license does that mean i know what the hell im doing

dougmartin2003
06-10-2007, 12:44 PM
is it really going to hurt your guys business if you see someone spraying roundup on a sidewalk

turf hokie
06-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Awfully worked up over "just a little round-up"

Homeowners are the worst offenders. If 1 oz is good then 2 oz must be twice as good mentality.

Dont be a homeowner, be a professional. Get your license.

Ric
06-10-2007, 12:54 PM
i do sleep well at night, and i agree with everyone on here about having a license, but everytime some one comes on here and says anything about roundup, the first ? that pops up from someone else is do you have a license, take a look at other areas of business like pressure washing for example where they use bleach these guys use more bleach on one job then i use roundup in 2 years but i get the BIG ? do you have a license,if not then im a scrub and unprofessional. i have a business license, federal ein# truck insurance and general liabiltiy insurance. you guys sure know how to make someone feel good.

dougmartin2003

The Bottom line is, If you don't have a pesticide license you are breaking the law by applying Roundup. Many of us with licenses have spend money, time and sweat studying to get those licenses. We like to protect ourselves from the Idiot who goes to Home cheapo and puts out the wrong stuff.

I could personally give a flip about Roundup applications by lawn boys. I think it is a must for anyone who mows. However don't make the jump to killing cockroaches at my favorite restaurant or even dandelions without the proper training.

BTW I did not reply to your thread about clover because of your attitude in this thread.

turf hokie
06-10-2007, 01:10 PM
I agree Ric.

Round-up does not bother me. I have been talking about the guys that try to do lawn and tree apps without the license. I have seen piles of pendimethlin left in the road and nothing blown off the walks and drives. I have seen roundup sprayed on dandelions.
I have seen many, many stupid things by guys that pass themselves as professional b/c "I know what I'm doing, a piece of paper means nothing"

Ric--
I also agree about the PCO end of the business. I had a customer ask me to treat carpenter ants on Thursday. He looked at me like I was crazy when I told him I could not treat for them and I gave him the number of the exterminator that I use.

Know what you should and should not do. Just b/c you can buy the material does not mean you should do the treatment.

dougmartin2003
06-10-2007, 01:22 PM
if my attitude seamed rude then i am sorry, i was just trying to make a point. like i said before roundup is the only thing i use, i dont know enough about weed and feed or other chemicals to do anyof them so i wont

philk17088
06-10-2007, 01:27 PM
if my attitude seamed rude then i am sorry, i was just trying to make a point. like i said before roundup is the only thing i use, i dont know enough about weed and feed or other chemicals to do anyof them so i wont
Still illegal

dougmartin2003
06-10-2007, 01:39 PM
we all do things that illegal from time to time,thats just life, and i value your guys opinion,all im saying is some of the members on here get to defensive when someone sees someone spraying roundup or whatever on a sidewalk or driveway. i understand that you need a license thats cool and i will get mine in do time.but when i see someone spraying a sidewalk i think they are trying to make it look better not if they have a license.

rcreech
06-10-2007, 01:41 PM
dougmartin 2003,

I hate it that I am even getting involved in this stupid post, but you annoyed me enough with your posts that I decided to.
1) If you spent as much time studying for your Pest license as you did posting this crap you would definitly pass. Just get it!
2) You keep talking about guys pressure washing and using bleach. Do you need a license to pressure wash? Please compare apples.
3) Spilling gas..... come on, there is such thing as a reportable quantity. If you had your licence or would read a label you would have known that.

Get your license!

dougmartin2003
06-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Spilling gas..... come on, there is such thing as a reportable quantity. If you had your licence or would read a label you would have known that.

i was using that as a example, someone posted what would i do if i had a spill, i only carry a 32once bottle. if i spill that is it reportable

Ric
06-10-2007, 02:23 PM
I agree Ric.

Round-up does not bother me. I have been talking about the guys that try to do lawn and tree apps without the license. I have seen piles of pendimethlin left in the road and nothing blown off the walks and drives. I have seen roundup sprayed on dandelions.
I have seen many, many stupid things by guys that pass themselves as professional b/c "I know what I'm doing, a piece of paper means nothing"

Ric--
I also agree about the PCO end of the business. I had a customer ask me to treat carpenter ants on Thursday. He looked at me like I was crazy when I told him I could not treat for them and I gave him the number of the exterminator that I use.

Know what you should and should not do. Just b/c you can buy the material does not mean you should do the treatment.

Turf Hokie

Many Homeowners would rather hire the Illegal guy because they think they get a bargain. Here in Florida we have many many Golf Course Communities The unlicensed guys working on those Golf Courses Make more money doing side jobs for club members than working full time on the Golf Course. Kind of a fringe benefit And because the homeowner knows this they never get reported or caught. It is the perfect cash scam for many and they end up charging more than the Licensed guys.

unit28
06-10-2007, 05:26 PM
we all do things that illegal from time to time,thats just life, and i value your guys opinion,all im saying is some of the members on here get to defensive when someone sees someone spraying roundup or whatever on a sidewalk or driveway. i understand that you need a license thats cool and i will get mine in do time.but when i see someone spraying a sidewalk i think they are trying to make it look better not if they have a license.

having a license gives us the right to do the right thing.

PSUTURFGEEK
06-10-2007, 07:35 PM
The point is, if you have the knowledge to identify what you are spraying then the test will be a breeze anyway, and if you don't know what your going after or seeing then your'e hurting everyone including your customers.

PSUTURFGEEK
06-10-2007, 07:39 PM
In most states the test is open book except for the core, I took my PA test 12 years ago and the core was closed and all catagories were open.
I still believe PA is one of the hardest tests in the country, I have taken mock tests from other states and they were way to easy, and PA will only cooperate with states that have close to as difficult a test as thiers as far as transferring licenses into PA, I dealt with this alot when I worked as a manager for a large lets leave unnamed lawncre company some years ago.

NattyLawn
06-10-2007, 09:57 PM
In most states the test is open book except for the core, I took my PA test 12 years ago and the core was closed and all catagories were open.
I still believe PA is one of the hardest tests in the country, I have taken mock tests from other states and they were way to easy, and PA will only cooperate with states that have close to as difficult a test as thiers as far as transferring licenses into PA, I dealt with this alot when I worked as a manager for a large lets leave unnamed lawncre company some years ago.

If you search back for some older threads it sounds like PA is a joke compared to other states, especially FLA.

Rayholio
06-10-2007, 10:01 PM
What are we debating here? The law is pretty cut and dry... You spray pesticides without a license, you're breaking the law. It doesn't matter if its half a gram of roundup, or a tanker full of fusilade.

If you're ok with spraying without a license, you should know that the law still applys to you, and if you get caught (either by being turned in, or by a suprise inspection) there is NO ONE to blame but yourself.

don't blame the 'snitch'... if your wern't breaking the law it wouldn't matter..

Don't blame the law... You're not immune from it just because you don't understand it.

Don't blame the inspector.. They're just making a pay check.

& yes. everyone breaks the law occasionally.. it doesn't mean that it's right.. it just means we didn't get caught (that time)

txgrassguy
06-10-2007, 10:03 PM

Speak for your self about the unlicensed applications.
It is unlawful, dangerous, ridiculously stupid and you should be punished for it.
I don't care if you are applying glyosphate or not you quite obviously do not know what you are doing or you wouldn't ask the questions you have.
I don't get defensive when I observe unlicensed applications, I get my camera and cell phone.
The cavalier attitude you display is one of the reasons my freaking applicators policy is so god damned high - it is the licensed guys that pay for the scrub dipsh!ts like you.
Solve the problem, get licensed, start reading up on prevalent weed and turf problems in your area and raise your professionalism to a new level.

dougmartin2003
06-11-2007, 01:44 AM
the point is are you guys really gonna turn in someone that is spraying a sidewalk, my opinion is if i see someone spraying a sidewalk of driveway no big deal, but if i see someone i know that is unlicensed spraying trees or a lawn then i would get on the phone and call the proper authorities

dougmartin2003
06-11-2007, 01:48 AM
this is the last time i will say this,,, i didnt mean to piss anyone off and i am very sorry if i had offended anyone, jesus christ i ask a question about clover in my yard on another topic and damn near get my head chewed off, thats for the help. we are here to learn and help each other right. i quess i was wrong

dougmartin2003
06-11-2007, 01:51 AM
hey texas grass guy since i have a business license, and insurance on my truck and liability insurance to cover my ass if something happens, and a fed ein# that still makes me a scrub, thanks for make someone feel good about this profession

Rayholio
06-11-2007, 10:35 AM
I would typically not turn someone in for most small apps... but if I did, I don't see how I would be in the wrong.

doug, I feel that there are people in any public forum that may go a little far, become offencive, etc. I've gotten a lot of good advice from these forums, A lot of us are actually trying to provide information backed up with real experience.

and it's easy to get off topic, especailly when it's human nature to pick a fight...

dougmartin2003
06-11-2007, 11:29 AM
rayholio i agree 100 per cent, but i think the real problem with a lot of people who are using chemicals that they do not know that you should be licensed, i talk to 2 other guys over the weekend and was telling them about the law, and they didnt know about it,

the people who make these laws up needs to inform the public about them instead of hiding the laws. i called my local extension center and they told me all i need is a private applicators license, even these guys didnt have a clue .even if i got caught spraying with a private license i would still get fined

there is more information on this site then one person could every read. a lot of information. and thats what we are here for is to learn and give advice, but when i get call a dipshit scrub i get defensive. i started other topic about getting rid of clover in my back yard, and i was treated like ****, there was a few members who gave me advice and i thank you guys for that.

but in the end its all good

sprayboy
06-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Another problem for the Licensed people is that homeowners remember the spray trucks in their neighborhood. If a problem arises, such as dead fish in a pond from a misapplication, then most people will look to see what companies were doing treatments in the area. They know the fert companies but do not know the guy who did one lawn in there, didn't post the lawn with a flag, or leave an invoice stating what chemicals were used, because he didn't know he had to leave that info. So if he doesn't know that, does he know to read the label that said do NOT apply within so many feet of water.

turf hokie
06-11-2007, 08:29 PM
"but i think the real problem with a lot of people who are using chemicals that they do not know that you should be licensed, i talk to 2 other guys over the weekend and was telling them about the law, and they didnt know about it,"

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Officer--"you know you just blew a BAC of .08 you are legally drunk"

Drunk idiot--"oh, they changed the limit? I thought the limit was .10"

Officer -- 'oh in that case carry on......"

dougmartin2003
06-11-2007, 10:07 PM
it just comes down to you cant explain **** to some people they dont want to listen, good day to everyone here.

txgrassguy
06-11-2007, 10:19 PM
hey texas grass guy since i have a business license, and insurance on my truck and liability insurance to cover my ass if something happens, and a fed ein# that still makes me a scrub, thanks for make someone feel good about this profession

Douggy, if you felt good about this profession you would have an applicators license.
The fact that you are defensive means YOU know you messed up and you are trying to cover up for it.
BTW, I read you last post about clover so you obviously know how to read - so how hard would it be to acquire your spray license?
Quit ducking and weaving, commit to the license process and bring in the bucks associated with expanding your business.
Tough love baby - that's all it is.

dougmartin2003
06-11-2007, 11:39 PM
thats cool txgrassguy,can anyone tell me about how much extra it cost to have a rider added to my insurance that i have already. im not looking for exact price just a ballpark estimate. i know but i just got through paying my insurance 3 months ago and i dont wanna ask the agent untill i need to get it, witch will be when i pass the test.

Rayholio
06-12-2007, 10:08 AM
my chem insurance is about $700 a year... I think that also covers other lawn services, such as mowing... but I don't mow.

I wouldn't spray leagally, or Illeagally w/o insurance.. accidentally kill one old tree, and you'll go broke.

Fox Fire
06-13-2007, 08:48 PM
thats cool txgrassguy,can anyone tell me about how much extra it cost to have a rider added to my insurance that i have already. im not looking for exact price just a ballpark estimate. i know but i just got through paying my insurance 3 months ago and i dont wanna ask the agent untill i need to get it, witch will be when i pass the test.
Man, I didn't intend to start this fire storm but at least we know how every body feels. As for insurance, I pay 542.00 yearly. That includes my mowing and landscape as well as my equipment. Thanks for the input. It all comes down to, the law is the law either you abide by it or you break it!

Hogjaw
06-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Well, I'm certainly not too embarrased to "snitch".

Had to take an exam, State Plant Board allocated 3 hours to complete, and my yearly license is $150.00, plus $30.00 for agents.

Contact in your state whoever regulates the turf grass applicators.