PDA

View Full Version : How to professionally and economically place bids?

Tyler7692
05-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Hello all. I am preparing to start my business in the big swing next season. I have never placed a commercial bid and I don't really know how.

I have a few questions....

1) How do you send bids out? By mail, or delivering them in person?

2) What is the best way to bid a multitude of properties (ranging from apartment complexes to restaurants to warehouses) in a timely fashion? I am expecting to only win a percentage of the bids I send out, so I need to know how to get as many bids out the door as possible in a timely, efficient manner.

3) What all information do you include in a bid? A contract proposal or simply a stated weekly price or monthly price? Do you include how you typically expect payment or how you bill in your bid/estimate?

4) A little off subject, but I would like to know the best and most efficient way that you guys have found to reach residential clients? Whats most cost effective and reasonably timely? Walking door to door in all the neighborhoods I'd like to target would take forever and sending letters in the mail is costly? Whats the best you've found to work?

Tyler7692
05-31-2007, 11:51 PM
No one can offer any advice?

fiveoboy01
06-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Hello all. I am preparing to start my business in the big swing next season. I have never placed a commercial bid and I don't really know how.

I have a few questions....

[QUOTE]1) How do you send bids out? By mail, or delivering them in person?

I try to deliver them in person if at all possible. Sometimes they get sent in the mail.

2) What is the best way to bid a multitude of properties (ranging from apartment complexes to restaurants to warehouses) in a timely fashion? I am expecting to only win a percentage of the bids I send out, so I need to know how to get as many bids out the door as possible in a timely, efficient manner.

There's really nothing timely about it. You can make a bid form and for each individual property you only have to change the potential customer's address and the price for each service you're offering. But you still have to look at every property individually, measure, figure, etc. Preparing bids can be time-consuming. There's not much way around it.

3) What all information do you include in a bid? A contract proposal or simply a stated weekly price or monthly price? Do you include how you typically expect payment or how you bill in your bid/estimate?

I include all my contact info, pictures of work, a contract, copy of my certificate of insurance, copy of my seller's permit, a detailed proposal of the work to be done along with prices(for mowing, it's a price per mowing). And I also include my payment terms in there as well.

4) A little off subject, but I would like to know the best and most efficient way that you guys have found to reach residential clients? Whats most cost effective and reasonably timely? Walking door to door in all the neighborhoods I'd like to target would take forever and sending letters in the mail is costly? Whats the best you've found to work?

I have several 3x5 inch ads in small town newspapers, and a few small yellow pages ads.

You can try doing that, or find/take the time to pass out flyers. They usually produce decent results. Most of the upper-end subdivisions have a newspaper box below the mailbox, so I just drive down the street and put the flyers in the newspaper boxes.