PDA

View Full Version : BAMBOOzled!

steve45
05-31-2007, 12:49 AM
Several years ago, our neighbor got the briliant idea of making a natural fence by planting bamboo. We've had record rains this year, and this stuff is growing out of control--into our yard. We have an underground electric fence for our dog, and I'm afraid that the roots will wreak havoc on it.

Anybody know a good way to get rid of this stuff?

Thanks!

drumbo
05-31-2007, 12:51 AM
This is an easy one.....SAHARA....duh.

Armadillolawncare
05-31-2007, 01:22 AM
Good luck getting rid of bamboo. You can try cutting the bamboo about an inch aboove a knuckle then fill the hollow bamboo with straight roundup (glysophate). The problem with this method is you have to treat each indvidual bamboo shoot and keep after it as they appear.

ToroLandscaper
05-31-2007, 01:25 AM
My grandparents did the same thing with the whole fence idea worked out great for them...when they planted the bamboo they took a strip of alumanum (about the size used for AC ducts and what not) and planted it in the ground about a foot deep between the fence line and about 4 foot from the fence line to where it wouldnt spread out of control...worked really well from them!

Turf Dawg
05-31-2007, 01:28 AM
Bamboo is an very agressive plant. This stuff will keep spreading year after year. The only thing you can do is put in a root barrier. This is done by digging a trench and putting in something about 12" wide in the ground. I know in many towns here in Texas that bamboo is illegal to plant.

rodfather
05-31-2007, 07:02 AM
Extremely evasive and even harder to get rid of

MarcSmith
05-31-2007, 08:25 AM
Sahara is great...if you want sterilize the soil. so nothing grows...

But even then exclusion is the best way.....but now thats its in the ground is going to be tough to keep it out...

I'd be pissed if it was my neighbor who planted bamboo....

steve45
06-01-2007, 12:08 AM
Thanks, guys! I'm not very happy about it, and my neighbor now realizes that it was a mistake, too. We've lived next to him for 22 years and relations are good, so I'm not going to get mad about it. I may try Sahara, having a strip of bare soil along the fence might not be a bad idea anyway.

I guess the other option is to go after it agressively, and replace the underground fence wire if (when) I cut it to shreds.

Olylawnboy
06-01-2007, 11:02 PM
I have a client that has three different clumps (for lack of a better word) of bamboo and it has not spread at all in the fifteen years that I have taken care of this place.
Well it has got quite a bit taller. Started out at two feet and now well over twenty but the base has not grown in size much at all. It it helps this type came from the Philippines.