PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Gas tank repair

P&C Lawn Care
05-31-2007, 02:02 AM
With all the recent rain here and some new res accounts I broke out the old Lawboy S21ZSR because it is light weight and can side discharge. Problem is it has a pin hole leak in the gas tank and it costs $65 for a new tank. I can get a new tank but thought I'd try a cheaper route first. Has anyone had any luck using a sealant or plastic weld on a plastic gas tank? I have thought about getting an aftermarket tank like what was on the heavy duty LB's.

jt5019
05-31-2007, 02:28 AM
I recently just tried plastic weld on a string trimmer gas tank that had a hairline crack. So far it is holding up fine. I got the plastic weld at walmart in the paint supply section.

lawnboy dan
05-31-2007, 07:49 AM
forget it on a lawn boy -there is nothing that can patch a lawn boy gas tank. there is always some for little $ on ebay

ed2hess
05-31-2007, 06:06 PM
UB Weld epoxy will do the job I did our big Scag...used a little piece of fiber glass cloth and it held just fine.

regl
05-31-2007, 07:10 PM
I used J B Weld on a Stihl trimmer gas tank and it's holding fine so far.

lawnboy dan
05-31-2007, 08:20 PM
the formula of the plastic on the lawnboys gas tanks is different and NOTHING will stick to it! go ahead and try !

ffemt1271
05-31-2007, 08:46 PM
get you a self tapping metal roofing screw, one with a washer on it. that should plug the hole just fine.

Maitland Man
05-31-2007, 08:49 PM
Seal-all has worked on many small plastic gas tanks for us.

Dennis

muddstopper
05-31-2007, 09:10 PM
With a pinhole, I think I would go for the sheet metal screw and rubber washer. What i need to know is what will seal up one of those black plastic fuel tanks. I recently ran over a stump and busted the plastic tank in one corner. More like a gash. Anyways, a new tank is right at $400, which I have already bought and replaced, but would like to fix the old tank just for a spare. For the life of me i cant figure out why all the tractor manufacturers started mounting the fuel tank below the steps on a tractor. It makes me hesitate even bushogging an over grown field. I keep getting visions of a stick or stob running thru my new fuel tank. And the skid plates are a real joke.

ke5hbd
06-01-2007, 11:15 PM
The JB Weld product you are refering to regl and ed2hess is this the clear two part apoxy that has two cylinders of product and as you push the plunger through the applicator it mixes?

My father has a Crafstman push mower that was about two months old and the tank started leaking.
Well Sears replaced the first tank and you guessed it right the second one is now leaking.

Never would I have ever gotten away from metal and gone to plastic for a fuel tank.

Damon
N.E. Tx.

regl
06-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Damon, the JB Weld I used came in two separate tubes and you mix equal amounts together. It ends up a gun metal grey. Not pretty but it works.

ke5hbd
06-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Hey thanks for the reply. im going today to look for the product. I want to fix dads mower tank so it wont leak fuel and cause a fire.

Damon
N.E. Texas

P&C Lawn Care
06-07-2007, 01:42 AM
I used a product called Seal All, it can take oil and gas once it has cured and it fixed my gas tank.

scottr 2006
06-07-2007, 12:37 PM
P&C , I used it last summer to fix a old Stihl trimmer gas tank and the gas cap that cracks if you tighten it too tight . Good product and a good price . Scott

dvblandscaping
11-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Ive got a tank that has a crack. where can i find this seal all?

Have we come to an agreement upon which sealant works best for applications with gas involved?

DiyDave
11-20-2007, 02:05 PM
Mudstopper- have you tried plastic welding? Harbor freight sells a kit for about $40. What you need to do is get the kit, in it is a special kind of heat gun, and 3 different types of plastic welding rods, you kinda gotta experiment to see which rod sticks best to your plastic. I used it successfully to repair a brand new Stihl chainsaw that had gotten the oil tank plug broken out by being crushed. I removed the loose parts, an since there was no repairing the lid mechanism( it has one of the new style flip up and turn lids), I shaved down a pvc pipe fitting, and plastic welded it in. Then I gave it a coating of epoxy, and Viola! One repaired tank. :waving:

scottr 2006
11-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Ive got a tank that has a crack. where can i find this seal all?

Have we come to an agreement upon which sealant works best for applications with gas involved?

DVB , wal mart and target sell it .

fixer67
11-20-2007, 08:51 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82326

Try this link. It may help.

swingset
11-21-2007, 05:44 AM
JB Weld or BlackMax epoxy both work great. I've repaired metal, plastic gashes and big holes never had a repeat leaker with either product. You just have to get the hole clean, dry, and no residue (I use brake cleaner to get the crap off of it first).

Breezmister
11-21-2007, 07:09 PM
. I can get a new tank but thought I'd try a cheaper route first. Has anyone had any luck using a sealant or plastic weld on a plastic gas tank? I have thought about getting an aftermarket tank like what was on the heavy duty LB's.

I've tried all the stuff mentioned and depending on the plastic tank, not all plastic tanks are made out of the same plastic. What I have found that does work on all of them is fiberglass. You can get a small repair kit from any auto parts dealer, but the screw will work if it's a pin hole leak too :rolleyes:
Good Luck

khouse
11-22-2007, 01:25 AM
Your sure the petcock washer hasn't failed? Have you seen the hole?