PDA

View Full Version : What's included in mulch pricing?

Brian B
05-31-2007, 02:45 AM
I am about to give an estimate on mulch to a high end client and don't want to screw up. what's included in the price per yard installed???? i know the going rate is around $80/yd installed. does that include labor for edging, laying the mulch, hauling the mulch to the site, and still making a profit?

I can get mulch for $26/yd but it is not very close to the job site. and i was thinking myself and 2 helpers.

latley due to the gas prices has anyone just tacked on a fuel charge onto the customers bill?

If someone could PM me an actual invoice for a mulch job that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Brian

Brian B
05-31-2007, 03:17 AM
this is how i was thinking of pricing this job. .............tell me what you think.

$79 per yard installed ----- $53 per hour labor ($23/hr for me, $15/hr helper(s)), $26 per yard of mulch. $80 fuel surcharge

tell me what you think. i was just playing with some numbers.

thanks,
brian

martinfan06
05-31-2007, 07:28 AM
IMO clients don't need to know the break down of the cost just the cost, fuel charges are always included in whatever we do its an expense. Here the price includes minor prep work and delivery and installation.

MarcSmith
05-31-2007, 08:16 AM
80 bucks fuel charge? you gonna charge them enough to buy 26 gallons (more or less) of fuel. Thats kind of wacked....

My charges always included edging and minor bed clean up. If the bed was in real bad shape then I added time as needed. but 80 buck a yard is a fair price.

You need to find a better supplier or order you own mulch. You can generally get mulch cheaper if you order in bulk yourself. Provided you have the space.

also, if the mulch supplier is far from the job site, rather than have the wear and tear and travel time on your truck, why not have them drop the mulch for you at the job site? and then charge your clients the drop fee...It will save you a bunch of windshield if you have to make multiple trips...

Focal Point Landscapes
06-01-2007, 12:07 AM
I agree with Marc - mulch delivery charge here is $40 - just add it to the estimate.

Brian B
06-01-2007, 12:17 AM
i calculated the amount of mulch today and it came to 25 yards! my friend has a gooseneck trailer that we might use and it is 30 feet long so we will be able to get all the mulch. i considered having it dropped off but the property has nowhere to drop it at. the driveway is to small and i don't want tons of mulch in the grass.

Brian B
06-01-2007, 12:27 AM
could someone please PM me or e-mail me a sample bill and estimate for the same mulch job. e-mail; BrianBLawnCare@aol.com. ASAP!!! it would be much appreciated!

fiveoboy01
06-01-2007, 02:03 AM
What's so difficult about it?

Write up the estimate, state that mulch to be spread in all the beds at a minimum depth of 3 inches - price includes materials, delivery, and installation. .75 per foot for re-defining edges or 1.25 per foot for cutting new edges.

You don't have to itemize everything.

MarcSmith
06-01-2007, 07:56 AM
[QUOTE=Brian B;1848265 i considered having it dropped off but the property has nowhere to drop it at. the driveway is to small and i don't want tons of mulch in the grass.[/QUOTE]

drop in the street....lay a tarp down in the grass and drop mulch on top of tarp...

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-01-2007, 08:48 AM
for straight mulch I charge $60 per yard, that is for mulch and install only, I do not charge for pick up or delivery because my supplier is at the end of my street and I have to drive by him to go anywhere......

I add $15 per hour for my helper and I estimate 4 yards per hour for the 2 of us......

edging and weeding is charged at my normal hourly rate plus the cost of the bed edger rental....