PDA

View Full Version : Dana axels

phyllis3811
08-18-2001, 11:02 AM
Will Dana axels from an older dodge fit under a chevy?I want to swap the dana44f/60r from a rusted out 75 dodge to my 86 chevy 4x4 if it's possible.They measure close.Plate to plate was about the same.Pad to pad was 1 inch difference.Could I just weld new pads on where I need them?I know u-joints and brakes and all that stuff will probably need modified but will the axel itself fit?Thanks in advance.

ERIC ROBERGE
08-24-2001, 04:41 AM
You are on the right track comparing the integral hardware to see if the axles are compatible, but there are a few more things you need to think about.

Making sure the angle of the drive shaft leaving the transmission or transfer case is equal to the angle of the driveshaft entering the axle is to most critical. If it is wrong you will have SEVERE vibrations in the driveline and will in short time break a u joint. This could cause the drive shaft to exit its proper place under the vehicle.
You also need to check the angle of the leaf spring plates to the shock mounts.
More than likely all these factors don`t match up between the dodge and the chevy. You can talk to a good driveline or 4wd shop ,and I mean a good reputable shop, and they could give you more specific info. I would guess that if this is just a daily driver or play truck ,whoever you talk to will advise you to find an axle for the truck and buy it.