PDA

View Full Version : How much should I charge?

TimmayB4
05-31-2007, 05:40 PM
I have a women who wants me to lay a feildstone border around her flower bed its 90 foot long and she wants it about 3 layers high how much should I charge. laying it dry. I need to pallets of stone at 200 a pallet.

MJM landscaping
05-31-2007, 06:35 PM
Time and Material.

TimmayB4
05-31-2007, 06:37 PM
yea but how much for labor whats the going rate?? should I charge by sq ft, hr or what??

newz7151
05-31-2007, 06:53 PM
yea but how much for labor whats the going rate?? should I charge by sq ft, hr or what??

75 cents a sq ft is what seem to be getting around here.

PatriotLandscape
06-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Do you think everyone charges the same? some people will tell you 75 an hour others will says 30 it depends on what your expenses are and nothing else.

TimmayB4
06-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Do you think everyone charges the same? some people will tell you 75 an hour others will says 30 it depends on what your expenses are and nothing else.

No I don't think everyone will charge the same I was just wanting to get an idea of what people charge. If thats the only answer you had you should have keep it to yourself. Because it came off kinda smarta** sounding.

Michael J. Donovan
06-01-2007, 01:46 PM
No I don't think everyone will charge the same I was just wanting to get an idea of what people charge. If thats the only answer you had you should have keep it to yourself. Because it came off kinda smarta** sounding.

may have sounded that way but I think he was being honest with you...everyone's expenses are different and you may be able to charge more/less then others in order to make your desired profit.

just my opinion on his response

PatriotLandscape
06-03-2007, 01:30 PM

Wasn't really trying to sound like a smart a$$ but you posted a very similar post in the other forums.

Use the search function.

forestfireguy
06-03-2007, 01:55 PM
We have a fiar amount of overhead and can make money at 40 PMH. We try to work for more, don't forget to mark up your materials. Shop your best price and buy there. Sell to the homeowner with your profit percentage figured on materials as well as lobor. You should be able to find a supply yard that will wholesale you the materials as a contractor.

forestfireguy
06-03-2007, 02:06 PM
We have been dealing with the same yard for years. We also vary a bit from year to year in the amount of hardscape material we buy from them. Some years we have stock we use up, other years we buy some direct from Manufacturers for large jobs thereby affecting what we buy from the local guy. For any job over 6/7 cubes we price shop. Our local supplier gives their discount based on the previous years purchases. And they vary widely from one product to another, some items are 20 off list others are 5, It's a PITA to figure out sometimes, then there is delivery for orders over 5 cubes(the amount we can haul on our large trailer in one trip). Which isn't bad on orders the block truck can handle but if we need the moffit because we aren't onsite before the delivery it's a bit expensive. Bottom line we are looking for more supply sources, what do you guys expect in a supply yard. What discount do you expect opposed to harry the homeowner. I ask because I know for a fact my local guy who we have used for about 10-15 years is giving out better discounts to smaller operations just to get their business, in effect stealing it away from other yards. This has me a little pissed off, you do business with someone for so long and I expect to see the best discount he can provide me. Just seems kinda crappy to me that he is giving better discounts to guys who spend less than half what we do. I'm venting a bit,,,,,Sorry. Unfortunately we are not in a position to walk away from the completely, as they really are like one stop shopping and ussually have what we need when we need it. So anyway what do you think.