PDA

View Full Version : Hunter i20 Shut off for extended period

jeffinsgf
05-31-2007, 06:17 PM
I have sort of a funky little corner in my yard that used to be dominated by a cedar tree. The huge ice storm we had in January took out that tree. Between the tree and the fact that the funky little corner didn't get good coverage from my sprinkler system, grass has always struggled in this area. I took out the tree in February. About 6 weeks ago, I killed all the existing grass (what little there was). A couple of weeks ago, I remodeled the zone, adding MP Rotators to the funky little corner. Now I am just about ready to sow seed. Zoysia seed likes to be moist all the time while germinating. The problem is, the funky little corner is only half the zone. The other half is well established lawn that is adequately covered by 3 PGP's. I am afraid that if I run the zone a few times a day for a few minutes (like the seed wants), I will be over-watering the other half of the zone. I came up with the idea of changing out the PGP's for i20's -- which can be shut completely off.

1) Will shutting off the i20 for extended periods (instead of just for an adjustment) damage the head in any way?

2) Or should I just quit worrying about over-watering the established section for the 3 or 4 weeks it will take the seed to germinate?

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-31-2007, 07:41 PM
I would do what you are thinking of doing. Over watering established lawn would be a big mistake. Shut off the I 20s until the new area is established. I don't see how it could damage the heads. My only concern would be if the flow is so low that the valve might hang on.

bicmudpuppy
05-31-2007, 09:11 PM
As a side note, if you can get a local hunter supplier to talk to you, ask for a set of blank nozzles for the pgp's instead. Changing to I-20's would be a good answer if you wanted to be able to do this multiple times. Having them shut off for extended periods is not a problem, but for what you want to do, plugging the pgp's would be cheaper and easier IMHO.

jeffinsgf
05-31-2007, 09:23 PM
As a side note, if you can get a local hunter supplier to talk to you, ask for a set of blank nozzles for the pgp's instead. Changing to I-20's would be a good answer if you wanted to be able to do this multiple times. Having them shut off for extended periods is not a problem, but for what you want to do, plugging the pgp's would be cheaper and easier IMHO.

Didn't know those were available. The guys at Ewing are used to me by now...one even acts like I'm human (which is an effort he doesn't even make for ALL the contractors). I'll see if they have them. If not, it's good to know the i20 plan will work. I was kind of planning on using them for this, then saving them for eventual repairs on the downhill side of the system, where I currently have PGP's with check valves. The i20 holds a higher head pressure than the PGP check valve.

One follow up. The PGP and i20 use the same thread, but the i20 can has 3 or 4 threads to the PGP's 1.5. Any reason for a temporary installation not to put the i20 in the PGP can?

Wet_Boots
05-31-2007, 09:50 PM
Blanks are on the low-angle nozzle tree (grey) - make your own with some silicone caulk in old PGP nozzles.