PDA

View Full Version : markup on material

evergreenmike
05-31-2007, 08:52 PM
I need suggestions on marking up plant material,aggregetes,mulch etc.
Is ther a certain % to use . Also how should I charge when hauling bulk material By the ton,yard,hour Thanks

echeandia
05-31-2007, 09:54 PM
If you buy your material wholesale just charge the customer what the retail would be. They shouldn't have to pay more than retail for material.

carcrz
06-01-2007, 12:11 AM
Depends on if you are charging delivery. I usually charge retail + time to deliver it all which would be included in the installation time.

sheshovel
06-01-2007, 01:39 AM
If you buy your material wholesale just charge the customer what the retail would be. They shouldn't have to pay more than retail for material.

ReaLLy? Then who is paying you to pick it out, pick it up and deliver it or order it? You bet they should pay more than retail and they expect to do so too. That is how we make $ in business. You think the electrician, plumber, Doctor, whoever charges their clients retail price for their materials? I add 25% some add 50% or more to their materials. This is normal operating procedure with all landscapers.

Tom c.
06-01-2007, 05:43 AM
How about retail and your hourly rate for pickup and delivery? Ive been using that method and it seems to be ok!

echeandia
06-01-2007, 07:02 AM
ReaLLy? Then who is paying you to pick it out, pick it up and deliver it or order it? ...

I didn't mention those things because they are separate line items. Not that I show the customer a complete breakdown of their costs. But for the material I charge them full retail and have the additional fees you mention listed under services.

MarcSmith
06-01-2007, 07:51 AM
30-60% markup. on everything from 6" annuals to rentals.... most materials are marked up 60% while rentals and subs are marked up 30%.

the 60% keeps most items right in line with retail but sometimes its lower...