PDA

View Full Version : Info on Flagstone patio needed

NEUSWEDE
05-31-2007, 09:51 PM
I have never used flagstone but I am not new to stone I have done a lot of paver patios and walkways and dry stack walls. I have a client that wants flagstone and it is a great job for me to get my feet wet.

it is an 11' x 50' patio it will be dry laid and wants a rectangular pieces for a border and then odd rough shapes through the middle.

My questions are, what's the best way to approach this? should the odd, rough pieces match up by shaping them to match or by picking and choosing from the stone I get? I searched and found some good info but any tips anything to watch out for or anything important to make sure of?

Thanks

tthomass
06-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Will your couping be dry to set in mortar? If dry use steel edging ($50 for 16')

How's the soil? Hard.......put down 4" stone dust, rough grade it and lay out your stone. I overlap my irregular stone andmake cuts to get things to fit. Cut 1/2 way through on the back and then break off the rest to leave a natural edge or just cut all the way through and it will be smooth.

Soil not so "hard".......put in a compacted base as you would pavers.

After I have all of my stone cut and fitting I go back and level everything. I don't level as I go because #1 you walk all over the dust and its all out of wack #2 I'm overlapping and cutting and moving things around so it only would slow me down.

Leave a 1/2"ish gap between and then sweep the patio over with dust.......wet it down so it settles and sweep again. OR I suggest taking an edging shovel and packing the joints and sweep again.

Avoid thin stone, they'll break (1"+). Get a good solid amount of contact under the stone to support it. As I set the stone I stand on them at different points to make sure they don't rock back and forth.

Its not hard. Since its your first go ahead and budget for extra time and then take that time so that you learn and get it right. If not you'll just be back to fix it.

Include in your contract that stone is a "natural product" and that it pocesses natural characteristics such as color differences, textures, shape etc.

As a general good piece of protection on any job.......include that any complaints must be made in writing within 7days of completion or waive any adjustments......just something I've run into before "there's a stone we're not so sure about" blah blah....hence this + the "natural product".