PDA

View Full Version : Points elimination on old 14hp Kohler

wilsonbh
06-01-2007, 04:56 AM
A mechanic told me that there is a replacement part that will eliminate the points on my old JD 314. Does anyone know about this? Sounds like a good modification to the engine.

Billy

khouse
06-01-2007, 10:01 AM
It's called the breakerless ignition system from Kohler. This is the one I'm familiar with. It uses a sensor mounted next to the flywheel. It takes a special coil and you'll need the special flywheel. I called on the sensor itself last year and it was around 140.00 alone. You would be better just using what you have. The points on a K series are just about the easiest to change out of any engine.

pugs
06-01-2007, 10:03 AM
I am gonna guess that being on a tractor your Kohler has a Battery ignition. The points elimination modules only work with magneto ignition so you are probably out of luck.

Here is the piece I am talking about:

http://www.stens.com/dealernet/catalog.html?sType=4&cat=3-67&part=440065

Restrorob
06-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Pugs, The one I have installed on the mag systems is Kohler # 25 757 10-S, Never tried the Stens type with this one in stock.

khouse
06-01-2007, 01:08 PM
The one I'm talking about is a 12 volt system. You can find it in the parts manual. The first one I ever saw was just last fall. I didn't even know Kohler had such an animal and I've worked on lots of K engines. Go to section 8.5 and 8.6 on the Kohler link to see it.
http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/resources/tp_2379.pdf

pugs
06-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Pugs, The one I have installed on the mag systems is Kohler # 25 757 10-S, Never tried the Stens type with this one in stock.

I did not even know Kohler had one. I have only used the Stens one on a snowblower I fixed up for myself. Its a little Toro with a Suzuki engine. It didnt have points but it had an external trigger box. Stens has 2 of those boxes, I forget which one I used but it worked well and lists for like 15-20 bucks vs like 70 for the toro part and I wasnt sure if it was the trigger or the coil itself.

As for the Kohlers, we generally just leave the points in them. The work well for a long time.

wilsonbh
06-01-2007, 05:49 PM
I agree, I think I'll just leave it as it is. Would be nice to have electronic but the points are so easy to install and adjust, well, I doubt the electronic can beat it for the price and ease. I see no real advantage.

Billy