PDA

View Full Version : Briggs Carb flooding, spewing major fuel

shopteacher
06-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Hello fellow gear heads,
I have a Briggs 17 horse twin II L head, model 42a707, type 2238e1
code 003235a.
Short story: I rebuilt fuel pump only to have gas shooting out the top of the carb, flooding the engine.
I rebuilt the carb and cleaned it although she was pretty clean. I rebuilt the fuel pump and checked it twice, still major gas comming out top 2 holes of carb.
I know I have put it together correct per the manual, and I have quite a bit of experience with these. They are fairly simple

What am I missing???????????????
I replaced fuel and vacuum hoses, cleaned everything.

What do you think?

bahamamills
06-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Sounds like your float in you carb is stuck just constantly allowing it to pump fuel in........

shopteacher
06-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Even if I cleaned it would it still stick??
Also, this engine runs very well for about the first 5 seconds, then flood city.

Sandgropher
06-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Well i have a thread going in this section to my Honda motor has a simalar problem, i have no idea about this motor but i know in cars if the carby floods you can adjust the tab on the float (by bending it up or down) so maybe you can adjust that ? just my thoughts until the experts arrive :)

sheshovel
06-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Hello fellow gear heads,
I have a Briggs 17 horse twin II L head, model 42a707, type 2238e1
code 003235a.
Short story: I rebuilt fuel pump only to have gas shooting out the top of the carb, flooding the engine.
I rebuilt the carb and cleaned it although she was pretty clean. I rebuilt the fuel pump and checked it twice, still major gas comming out top 2 holes of carb.
I know I have put it together correct per the manual, and I have quite a bit of experience with these. They are fairly simple

What am I missing???????????????
I replaced fuel and vacuum hoses, cleaned everything.

What do you think?

In that statement lies your answer.

Sandgropher
06-01-2007, 12:23 PM
I see there is another thread in this section ,"Briggs carby problem" it tells you how to adjust the float :)

sheshovel
06-01-2007, 01:02 PM
I am sure he knows how to adjust the float Sandgroper.

Restrorob
06-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Check this post out, Did you replace the float needle valve ?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=1845832&postcount=3

shopteacher
06-01-2007, 04:30 PM
I will try the needle. Muchos gracias

shopteacher
06-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Ok guys, had a certified Briggs mechanic tell me the needle and seat were ok. He said to check the float and that is ok. Gasket ok
This carb is clean, clean, clean. Used tag wire to insure all needles were clear.
What in the world would cause this flooding? I heard someone mention a sticky intake valve, but this engine runs for 5 seconds REAL WELL, then the foutains start.

Any cllues?????????????????

THanks in advance

PS This engine ran extremely well 18 hours prior to this, it's not like it has been sitting for awhile. It also has fresh gas, line, and filter.

shopteacher
06-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Problems solved, read new thread
WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!