PDA

View Full Version : 105 Yards of Mulch 6 inches Thick-Question

Wil22
06-01-2007, 02:11 PM
I had a day care called and asked about a quote for a play ground to be mulch 5700 sf, six inches thick. She asked me to give her an estimate, of how mulch material will cost and how many men I'll have onsite, just a break down of the cost.

Option #1

I have a company here said they would blow it in for 22.50 installed. 105 yds total=$2310. To make money on this I would have to mark it up to about $30.00 a yd.

Option #2
Delivered and dumped $12.00 per yard plus $70.00 delivery charge=total $1470. Then got to figure to purchase of a couple wheel barrels and hiring on 3 day workers @ $8.00 an hour.

I've never installed anywhere near 100 yds?

The day care center has to have this mulch installed, I think it's a state requirement. The mulch company is about 2 weeks behind.

In this situation what would you guy's do? I'm thinking if I sub it out and tell her I'm going to have the mulch blown in, why would she want to use me, why not get the phone book and call around?

Would like a few suggestions on this one.

MSS Mow
06-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Give her the cost breakdown, which ever way you choose to do the project. It doesn't matter who does the work, as long as you're the one handling the customer. You bill the customer and your sub bills you. If you decide to sub it out, doesn't hurt to mention that your "mulch guy" will be by tomorrow (or whatever day) to do the job instead of saying that you'd have to find someone else to do the work. Don't make it sound so bad to the customer about having to sub out the work and they won't care who does it. They just want it done, and done right.

Envy Lawn Service
06-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Well, this is a good one to ask the masses on, because I quit doing anything for daycares at least 10 years ago.

Having it blow in sounds like the cheap way to go.
I just can't imagine them doing a good job at $22.50 a yard installed.

But then again, it's a playground, not a landscape, so......

Envy Lawn Service
06-01-2007, 02:38 PM
I dunno... after reading all of that again...

Sounds like a fishing expedition to me.....

Fairway Land & Lawn
06-01-2007, 03:06 PM
I agree with Fishing Expedition. That was the first impression I got from your post... Seems like the only customers that care/demand a cost breakdown are one of a couple things, Fishing, Cheap, or will just be an old fashioned PITA...I will never break down my cost to customers. They either accept the TOTAL price for the respective job, or I say good day and kick rocks. I wont even omit processes in a landscape job to reduce price, not gonna have the business name on some half-assed work...Sub it out and call it done. 100 yards is a lot to spread. What kind of time frame will you need to uphold? Also, if you mark up the sub to $30.00/yrd you will clear a cool $750, for what? Maybe 30 minutes of work....I like that hourly wage....However, that percentage is a little high. I get about 15% on top for any work that I sub out. That should only be around $340...

hughmcjr
06-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Technically to go 6 inches deep on 6000 sq ft you would need 120 yards of mulch. one yard covers 100 sq ft. 3 inches deep.

fiveoboy01
06-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Um, if you had read his post, you'd see he said 5700 square feet, not 6000.

5700 square feet x .5 divided by 27 equals 105.5 yards.

I'd agree, don't give a breakdown. Here's the total price, take it or leave it.

The customer has no reason or need to know your individual costs.

hdhillin
06-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Be careful. Most companies around here thanblow mulch, do not do the depth as requested. Initially it looks good but two weeks later you find the depth is not consistent. I would definatly be there and watch closely, even measure the depth while they are blowing in different areas.

David Gretzmier
06-01-2007, 11:59 PM
I'm thinking you don't know what 100 cubic yards of mulch looks like- That is a full tractor trailer load.

3 guys with wheel barrows? let's see- a wheelbarrow holds 6-8 cubic feet, there's 27 cubic feet in a yard, so let's say 4 trips per yard. that is over 400 trips ! even If 3 guys could load and spread at 3 minutes per trip (very unlikely) that's 1200 minutes or 20 hours. at 24 per hour ( 3 guys x 8) that's 480 for labor.

My guess is you will have to take this stuff through a gate and will not be able to dump close to allow for a 3 minute cycle time. The blower guy should cut you a deal for 100 yards that he won't give to a random customer, but maybe not. make a few hundred off blower guy and inspect work.

for the record I would charge alot more than the blower guy, but they work off volume.

godzilla
06-02-2007, 10:10 PM
You can't get in there with a loader can you? 2 or 3 guys if you could get a loader in there could have it done in a day without any troubles.

capetan
06-02-2007, 10:58 PM
6 inch deep couldn't a kid break their ankle in mulch that deep..... are you using mulch or wood chips (playground chips)...... i would say $4000 plus the cost of mulch

Envy Lawn Service
06-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I was out on a nice playground earlier today with my daughter.

What they did was, they installed a good packed base of triple ground hardwood. Then they installed a good layer of bark nuggets over top of that.

hughmcjr
06-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Um, if you had read his post, you'd see he said 5700 square feet, not 6000.

5700 square feet x .5 divided by 27 equals 105.5 yards.

I'd agree, don't give a breakdown. Here's the total price, take it or leave it.

The customer has no reason or need to know your individual costs.

No. I don't know how you do your math but 3 inches deep on 5700 sq ft would be 57 yards based on 1 yard covers 100 sq ft., doubled would be 114 yards. I was rounding to make the point it was more than 105 yards.

sildoc
06-03-2007, 12:14 AM
I would sub to blow and go. do it all the time for 10+ yards. I mark up 10-15 % and make a cool 50+ for running over and letting them know what to do.
did a 30 yard job the other day and made 275 for 25 minutes worth of work. most of that was driving there. Once you establish yourself with a blow and go you can get them to schedule you sooner. They want your business because the more they make you money the more money they make. Volume is key for them. They ship in loads by the 1000 yards at a time so you know they get a good deal. After I used my guy for 3 years he dropped my price a 1 per yard. good luck.

fiveoboy01
06-03-2007, 12:27 AM
No. I don't know how you do your math but 3 inches deep on 5700 sq ft would be 57 yards based on 1 yard covers 100 sq ft., doubled would be 114 yards. I was rounding to make the point it was more than 105 yards.

Again, reading comprehension is KEY.

He said 6 inches deep.

YOUR math is wrong, not mine.

To re-cap, 5700 square feet multiplied by .5(6 inches) is 2,850 cubic feet.

2,850 divided by 27 is 105.55, or 106 yards rounded up. A 14-yard difference from your math which is incorrect. That could make a significant difference in the price.

hughmcjr
06-03-2007, 01:04 AM
Again, reading comprehension is KEY.

He said 6 inches deep.

YOUR math is wrong, not mine.

To re-cap, 5700 square feet multiplied by .5(6 inches) is 2,850 cubic feet.

2,850 divided by 27 is 105.55, or 106 yards rounded up. A 14-yard difference from your math which is incorrect. That could make a significant difference in the price.

Let's simplify this. The standard used is:

1 yard 3 inches deep covers 100 sq ft.

Therefore:

1 yard 6 inches deep covers 50 sq ft.

100 yards 6 inches deep covers 5000 sq ft.

another 14 yards 6 inches deep would cover 700 sq ft.

Total yards of mulch needed 114.

It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong with my math, but you are complicating it by multiplying and dividing.

hughmcjr
06-03-2007, 01:30 AM
I do see what you are doing. One yard is 27 cubic ft or 3x3x3, not 100 sq ft. of area which a yard covers when spread 3 inches deep. You are mixing up the cubic ft of the yard itself(volume)with the area it covers. Apples and oranges.

mini14
06-03-2007, 10:59 AM
can u sub it ? around here theres a co. called american mulch systems, they blow it in. 100 yards will takeem about 2 hrs. to do , they charge $40 per yard i believe. if u charged $50-60/yd u would still make decent $$$ doing nothing but a phone call.

fiveoboy01
06-03-2007, 11:47 PM
I do see what you are doing. One yard is 27 cubic ft or 3x3x3, not 100 sq ft. of area which a yard covers when spread 3 inches deep. You are mixing up the cubic ft of the yard itself(volume)with the area it covers. Apples and oranges.

Not apples and oranges. My math is precise, which is important if you're doing large jobs like this.

ONE YARD AT 3 INCHES COVERS MORE THAN 100 SQUARE FEET.

100 square feet times .25(this is 3 inches in feet) is 25 cubic feet. Divide that by 27, and you get .925 which is less than a yard.

Mr. Vern
06-04-2007, 01:20 AM
As far as placing 105 yards by hand, you are way under estimating the amount of work. We did 130 yards on saturday and it took 10 guys, a Bobcat and Dingo 10 hours to complete. Access was decent but not great. I think you should go with the blower if he's that cheap. Blowers get $30/yard plus material around here.

As for the debate about 1 yard covering 100 sqft 3" deep, that's just a rough approximation that works fine when dealing in small yardarge, but is technically 8% lower than what it really covers which is 108 sqft (see math in earlier post for explanation as to why). On a 5-10 yard bid that amount of error is negligable, but if you are bidding the big jobs it will make or break the deal. The job we just did Saturday I found out that my competition bid it based on 170 yards, that miscalculation made me $4500 in gross profit! Precision is important!

scagwildcat
06-04-2007, 09:19 AM
i dont know how the laws are around you guys, but playgrounds get inspected, they need to have atleast 12 inches of playground (mulch) compacted in 3'' layers. if its just blown in and they dont used certified playground (mulch) and a child gets hurt on it, you can be to blame!

sildoc
06-04-2007, 10:14 AM
i dont know how the laws are around you guys, but playgrounds get inspected, they need to have atleast 12 inches of playground (mulch) compacted in 3'' layers. if its just blown in and they dont used certified playground (mulch) and a child gets hurt on it, you can be to blame!

thus is why in your contract you state what you will deliver and place and nothing implied or stated other wise. It is up to the person with the play ground to make sure it is done to the law.

Wil22
06-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks guy's. There is a lot more involved in this transaction than I care to deal with right now, as a solo operater.

It's jobs like this that could create more problems than it's worth if you're doing it for the first time. I had jobs I've done in the past and lost money because of not understanding everthing involved.

I think I'm going to :walking: :walking: away from this one.

landgator
06-04-2007, 10:23 PM
What kind of mulch are you using? The national certified for playground mulch? I believe it's kinda of expensive. Anyways I get between $55-70 a yard of mulch installed.