PDA

View Full Version : Am I charging to much??

LawnSharkMowing
06-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Hey this is for mainly the Tampa, Florida guys but any input is okay. I give estimates of $80.00 per month for lawns with a lot size of approx. 60' x 140' give or take depending on size of house. I tell them I will mow, edge, trim, and cleanup(blower) 4 times a month. I have been getting the same reaction from a couple of people that is...."Wow thats kinda expensive". Now maybe its me but I think $20.00 per cut is damn cheap!!! Anyone else???
Lawn Shark

lawnman_scott
06-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Im in pinellas county and I do the lawn every week apr-oct and every other nov-march. I dont quote anything less than $90 anymore.

KTO Enterprises
06-01-2007, 05:51 PM
I have more success when I give someone a per cut price, rather than a monthly. I personally think 80 per month is way too cheap if you cut every week. Most of all my calculations put a minimum of 25 dollars per trip on small lawns at a bare minimum. And then you are only looking to make 8 dollars a lawn. In a post a couple days ago I seemed to be against the norm by netting 65 percent of my gross. That would only put me at making 11 dollars per lawn profit. All my equip is paid for, But I still figure depreciation in my numbers. At todays gas prices and equipment prices, no one can afford to do 20 dollar cuts.

LawnSharkMowing
06-01-2007, 05:52 PM
yeah I dont normally go below $80.00 but Ive quoted a few for $75 and $70 because of the reactions i am getting.

lawnmaniac883
06-01-2007, 08:41 PM
I work out of largo and to be honest if you cant get atleast 80 then walk. Tell them thats the way it is and if they arent willing to pay that then you arent working for free. 80 is my baseline now, I have monthly accounts in the 80-100 dollar range, with the dry azz weather we have had its been tough, this tropical storm should help increase the workload some though. Anyway, 80 a month or 25 a cut is the majority of my business.

thesargent
06-01-2007, 08:48 PM
i wont and dont do a lawn for less than 100 per month or 25 per week. 25 is my minimum per visit here in southern oregon.

dKoester
06-01-2007, 10:48 PM
When you meet a possible client you should try to upsell as many services as possible that your company provides. We have contracts that we can go over with the client that include our services. The services that we upsell to the client go under contract as they are agreed upon. Don't limit yourselves to mowing only. If you are insured and have proper liscensing you should have a decent service charge minimum. From what I read some of you are cheap. How are you going to pay you medical bills? Do you have medical insurance? Take better care of yourselves pricewise atleast.

Ric3077
06-05-2007, 11:31 PM
$80/month is way too low...if they think it's high you don't want them anyway...move on, I used to live in orlando, you should be getting $30/cut AT LEAST.

HOOLIE
06-06-2007, 12:33 AM
My wife once spent $275 to get her hair cut and styled. So no, there is no such thing as charging too much. When she told me that (after I calmed down :cry: ) I realized A) I don't charge enough, and B) There's no such thing as charging TOO much :laugh:

fiveoboy01
06-06-2007, 12:52 AM
On the contrary, I don't think you are charging enough.

30.00 per week should be your minimum. That's 8400 square feet, about 1/5th an acre. 30 bucks/cut is not out of line at all.

topsites
06-06-2007, 12:58 AM
This one's so far off, at least in my mind I can't make heads or tails of it, all I know is it's $80 and supposedly this guy's going to show up every week, which I know would kill my lawn. So it's not the price per se but maybe it's because in June we don't really cut most lawns weekly, maybe try $60 for 2-3 cuts / month? And I said, TWO to three :laugh:

Poncho25
06-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Hey this is for mainly the Tampa, Florida guys but any input is okay. I give estimates of $80.00 per month for lawns with a lot size of approx. 60' x 140' give or take depending on size of house. I tell them I will mow, edge, trim, and cleanup(blower) 4 times a month. I have been getting the same reaction from a couple of people that is...."Wow thats kinda expensive". Now maybe its me but I think $20.00 per cut is damn cheap!!! Anyone else???
Lawn Shark

Hey man, I have met quite a few guys in the business down here since I started, and your right on the ball park where they charge...myself I don't care how small the yard is, i will not take my equiptment off my trailer for less then 25 per visit. You can ask Chadslawn, he's been out on a few of my accounts to help me out and he is shocked when I tell him. I have found that the key to this is presentation! Not saying your not presenting yourself correctly, but maybe it could use some work..? I came from an extensive background in customer service and sales. So if you are confident in your self it will come across to the client. When ever I meet a new potential client I can get a read for them on how important the way their yard looks is to them, then I base my price on that, but again, I never drop my price below 100.00 per month and all have to sign a contract, though in my contracts they can get out with just 30 days notice. I lost a few last winter, but honestly i was glad as I hated their yards and they never wanted to invest in making it better. With the costs of insurance (which most people in this area I have found don't have), gas prices....just stick to your guns and be confident in yourself and what you are offering! :usflag:

lawnman_scott
06-09-2007, 09:11 AM
$80/month is way too low...if they think it's high you don't want them anyway...move on, I used to live in orlando, you should be getting $30/cut AT LEAST.Doing a lawn every week in summer and every other week in winter for $80 per month comes out to $24 a cut, but adding in a few skipped cuts (when you charge monthly its the same skip or not) brings it up to about $30.

Grass Kickin
06-09-2007, 10:33 AM
My opinion on this is as follows....it is great to say that you won't drop your gate for less than a certain amount. Assuming you have enough business, you might be able to do that. If you can't get what you want and you need more business, you are in a bind then. I personally, if I needed the account, would do whatever I had to, to get it....provided I could still make money. Don't give anything away but to say I won't work unless I get ???? is a little unreasonable if you need the work. We are mowing 1/4 acres in W. Central Fl for between 65 and 80 dollars per. I'd love to get 90 but it just isn't feasible in my area right now. Competition is great and there are plenty of hacks out here who would mow for less than twenty bucks. Keep in mind, all of my work is yearly service agreements which means I make that money in Dec thru March when I'm not really doing much work.

GreenT
06-09-2007, 08:17 PM
My opinion on this is as follows....it is great to say that you won't drop your gate for less than a certain amount. Assuming you have enough business, you might be able to do that. If you can't get what you want and you need more business, you are in a bind then. I personally, if I needed the account, would do whatever I had to, to get it....provided I could still make money. Don't give anything away but to say I won't work unless I get ???? is a little unreasonable if you need the work. We are mowing 1/4 acres in W. Central Fl for between 65 and 80 dollars per. I'd love to get 90 but it just isn't feasible in my area right now. Competition is great and there are plenty of hacks out here who would mow for less than twenty bucks. Keep in mind, all of my work is yearly service agreements which means I make that money in Dec thru March when I'm not really doing much work.

Could not agree more. Some guys in The Villages and Del Webb comunities are doing yards for $17.00.

Tha's why I try to stay away from those and concentrate on higher end clients. People that are really interested on how their landscape looks and are willing/able to invest in it.

A few months ago I was installing a landscape and this lco came up to tell how nice it was looking. He then tells me he had an acount in the area that he needed to drop because he was redoing his route, he said he had them on year round contract and that they were excellent customers. I knew where this was going so I asked him what he was charging them and with a straight face he says.. "Well, they are good customers, they pay $65.00/month. I didn't have the heart to tell him anything, I just said thanks but I'm too busy.

Bottom line, stick to your prices, it'll turn around. Anyway you have no choice, at $80.00/month you already at minimum wage.

justanotherlawnguy
06-11-2007, 12:31 AM
$80 a month isnt $20 per cut, its more like $27. ($80/month *12 months =960 divided by about 35 cuts per year is 27.42 per cut. Thats not too bad for tampa with a 60 * 140 cookie cutter lot. (if it is bahia, then forget it you will never get it)

Problem is where you charge $80/month alot of guys in that same area are doing it for $65 or even $50 per month.

Just tell people the price is the price, they will either take it or not. Customers treat LCO's like they are a dime a dozen when in fact customers are a dime for 10 dozen....

crab grass
06-11-2007, 01:25 AM
when you guys say 80/month is that cutting the yard weekly? how long does is take to cut these yards? also why not charge per cut instead of giving a monthly price, ex 30$ per cut and we cut once every x amount of days. and never feel you are charging to much if you are providing a quality service then you should be able to make a comfortable living off of your sweat.

Midwest Lawn Services
06-11-2007, 03:21 AM
yeah I dont normally go below $80.00 but Ive quoted a few for $75 and $70 because of the reactions i am getting.

Thats called lowballing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry: :hammerhead: :dizzy: :nono: Charge what your worth, and for those cheap a$$es who won't pay, find better clients who will!!! Let the high school kid down the street cut for $70/month, not a "professional." Professionals are worth their time and money. Make sure your representing yourself the way you want potential clients to see you!!!! Not as a cheaper resort. I tell you what, if you start taking cleints on that are not paying you what you think you should be, you will hate visiting their property. Its true, but you'll figure that out on your own.

Bel Air Bob
06-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Are you charging too much? NO WAY!! You need to sell the value of your service! I got a job for $42 per cut after the customer told me he had a bid for $40. I explained to him that 74% of new lawn and landscape contractors are out of the business in less than five years. Many don't make it one season! Number one reason they go out of business or quit is they don't charge enough. They don't charge enough because they don't understand their true costs. Over the long term you need to make enough to cover all your costs, including replacement of your equipment as well as repairs. This stuff doesn't last forever you know. And a reasonable profit after that.

I told him I calculate what I charge based on knowing my costs, making enough to cover them, AND make a reasonable profit. I will be here next year and the year after that. I won't go out of business because I have an engine blow in my truck and can't afford to replace it. I can't tell you how many customers I have picked up who call me and say 'we had a guy doing it for two years, but he never showed up, and his phone is disconnected..' or something like that. I told him all this. Then he said OK, I can have the contract. He was willing to pay more to have peace of mind. Some will, some won't. If they aren't willing to pay more, you don't really want them anyway. Remember, if they just go for the lowest price, they will dump you in a heart beat as soon as someone else is willing to undercut your already undercut price! I know the guy who will pay 5% more will not drop me for the next cheap charlie who comes along if he is satisfied with my service.

Couple more thoughts. If you do underprice some jobs to get them, once you realize this, you should be thinking of raising the price. Best way to do that is by telling them of reasons for the raise, i.e. fuel increase, insurance, etc. Most customers who are satisfied with your service won't mind paying an increase next season. Never raise price mid season if you promised a price, unless you are losing money and it's not worth keeping. Even then, you need to explain your reasons, then give them an option of paying a higher price or give them a couple more cuts so they can find another guy. This may let them get some other prices that are not less and they may tell you they'd like to pay the increase to keep your service.

Also, if you are getting every job you bid on, YOU ARE NOT CHARGING ENOUGH!! You should never be getting every job. This is a clear sign you are setting your prices too low and you will not last over the long run. Good Luck.

sancho_man_orlando
06-12-2007, 10:26 AM
I have been quoting $120 for many customers for weekly service... which is $30 per cut.

But lately I have been pushing biweekly service for $75... it comes out to $37.50 per cut and many people think that's a good deal. Wait til it starts raining and they want me out there sooner...

Bigray
06-12-2007, 04:07 PM
yes, your in line 80.oo iscompetitive in our area for that size lot

Bigray
06-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Sancho, i like that 75 bi-weekly idea
i will try that

mikecaldwell1204
06-12-2007, 06:35 PM
I think your pricing is a little low for Tampa. I live in Spring Hill and were getting 65-70 at a minimum and people in Tampa make alot more.

capelawncare.com
06-12-2007, 06:57 PM
I am in Ft Myers. I am just about on verge of firing anyone who isnt paying me at least 100.00 a month on a year round contract.

Diversified Maintenance
06-12-2007, 06:58 PM
I will never see how you guys work so cheap. Can you spread that out to cutting every 10 days (3 times a month) and still charge the $80? I know those lots arent very big but it cost money just to show up. I had a couple of residentials tell me "the kid down the street used to only charge me this". I suggested to them they would be wise to call them. I had to give them a reminder that the 'kid' down the street was using dads lawnmower and not dragging $12000 worth of equipment behind their truck. Long story short..they signed..kid was long gone

Diversified Maintenance
06-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Oh... just a reaffirmation to what Mid-West Lawn services said...You WILL start hating that account or any account that you underbid.

Diversified Maintenance
06-12-2007, 07:03 PM

capelawncare.com
06-12-2007, 07:42 PM
I will never see how you guys work so cheap. Can you spread that out to cutting every 10 days (3 times a month) and still charge the $80? I know those lots arent very big but it cost money just to show up. I had a couple of residentials tell me "the kid down the street used to only charge me this". I suggested to them they would be wise to call them. I had to give them a reminder that the 'kid' down the street was using dads lawnmower and not dragging $12000 worth of equipment behind their truck. Long story short..they signed..kid was long gone

We do it by signing year round contracts. They pay us each and every month. While we work hard in the summer, the winter is gravy. Our grass pretty much doesnt grow more than a few inches for 7 months. Yet our customers still pay us. On top of that we charge for all the extras Fert, Tree Trimming, Shrub Trimming. Etc. Etc.

For me it averages out to about 30 bucks a cut for a 80 X 120 lot that has a 3 bedroom house and pool on it. Takes all of a half hr to do. Mowing, Edging and trimming included. Thats right in line with the dollar a minute theory.

Plus the extras, and we make a decent living.

Diversified Maintenance
06-12-2007, 08:08 PM
We do it by signing year round contracts. They pay us each and every month. While we work hard in the summer, the winter is gravy. Our grass pretty much doesnt grow more than a few inches for 7 months. Yet our customers still pay us. On top of that we charge for all the extras Fert, Tree Trimming, Shrub Trimming. Etc. Etc.

For me it averages out to about 30 bucks a cut for a 80 X 120 lot that has a 3 bedroom house and pool on it. Takes all of a half hr to do. Mowing, Edging and trimming included. Thats right in line with the dollar a minute theory.

Plus the extras, and we make a decent living.

98% of my customers are all on a 12 month year round contract that are all inclusive (fertilizations, hedging, mowing,aerations, etc). I must have misunderstood. I thought he was talking about a 'pay as you go' which when itemized out was equivilant to $20 a mow.

capelawncare.com
06-12-2007, 08:14 PM
98% of my customers are all on a 12 month year round contract that are all inclusive (fertilizations, hedging, mowing,aerations, etc). I must have misunderstood. I thought he was talking about a 'pay as you go' which when itemized out was equivilant to $20 a mow.

Maybe that is how other guys down here work.... But not us. If there is guy charging 80 bucks all inclusive....Hell I will be the first one to sign up!

Bigray
06-12-2007, 08:18 PM
ALL INCLUSIVE i sign up for that deal for 80.oo month i have all my monthlys to sub to ya..

lawnman_scott
06-12-2007, 08:58 PM
I have been quoting $120 for many customers for weekly service... which is $30 per cut.

But lately I have been pushing biweekly service for $75... it comes out to $37.50 per cut and many people think that's a good deal. Wait til it starts raining and they want me out there sooner...Do you mow weekly during the winter? Well then your making about $42 per cut, not $30.

lawnman_scott
06-12-2007, 09:02 PM
when you guys say 80/month is that cutting the yard weekly? how long does is take to cut these yards? also why not charge per cut instead of giving a monthly price, ex 30$ per cut and we cut once every x amount of days. and never feel you are charging to much if you are providing a quality service then you should be able to make a comfortable living off of your sweat.Do you mow every other week in winter in Miami? When we get one of our cold florida weeks where its in the upper 40s or low 50's and the grass doesnt grow at all then why would anyone want it cut? They dont, but by charging monthly I drive by and say f-it, your customer calls and says to skip it. I got paid, you didnt.