PDA

View Full Version : Straggler issue on a 52" bobcat

Lynden-Jeff
06-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Hey,

Over the last few weeks ive noticed a row of straglers roughly right in the middle of the discharge chute side blade. I thought it was the blades, so I replaced them and it was fine for about a day and it started again. The blades are fairly sharp still so I don't think thats the problem. What else could it be? The engine may be reving a little slower but I don't think its to far off from normal. The deck is also very clean. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Jeff

MowerMedic77
06-01-2007, 08:15 PM
I don't know the model you are referring to so I can only guess that this unit has a 2nd belt that runs from the center spindle to the discharge(like most walk behind units) and that belt may be loose and giving you a slower blade tip speed.

Lynden-Jeff
06-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Hey,

Sorry its a 52" ZT-219 rider. I believe it is 1 belt that drives all blades but I can't remember (have not had it that long) and it does have a tensioner. Some one was telling me if the belts stretch it can alter performance but with a tensioner I don't see why it would matter.

Thanks
Jeff

MowerMedic77
06-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Some one was telling me if the belts stretch it can alter performance but with a tensioner I don't see why it would matter.

Thanks
Jeff

Well the nice thing about tensioners is that you do not have to keep tightening the belt , but at some point the belt will stretch so much that you will need to replace it.

How old is this belt, or how many hours are on it?

Lynden-Jeff
06-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Hey,

It would have about 130 hours on it. I would imagine they last longer then that?

Cheers

MowerMedic77
06-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Since this unit is so new the only other thing I could say to check is the pitch on the deck. Make sure that you are not perfectly level on the front blade tip in the front and the rear, you always want 1/4 difference higher in the rear of the deck then the front.

pugs
06-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Since this unit is so new the only other thing I could say to check is the pitch on the deck. Make sure that you are not perfectly level on the front blade tip in the front and the rear, you always want 1/4 difference higher in the rear of the deck then the front.

Actually I think the Bobcat manual calls for 1/8".

I would check the belt and also pull the belt off and check that spindle to make sure it is spinning nice and free. And also check the level/pitch of the deck just in case something came loose.

I honestly dont know what to tell you since that is kinda an odd problem. You would think it was just a dull blade or something.

Lynden-Jeff
06-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Hey,

I took it in to my dealer today. Everything seemed fine except the deck pitch was off. They set it 1/4 higher at the FRONT. Why do you guys say the rear? They said it should always be higher in the front so that the blade is cutting the grass twice, high at the front of the blade and at the correct height on the rear. Seems to make sense to me but I have also heard the "you always want the deck pitched forward". Can some one elaborate?

Cheers
Jeff

pugs
06-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Hey,

I took it in to my dealer today. Everything seemed fine except the deck pitch was off. They set it 1/4 higher at the FRONT. Why do you guys say the rear? They said it should always be higher in the front so that the blade is cutting the grass twice, high at the front of the blade and at the correct height on the rear. Seems to make sense to me but I have also heard the "you always want the deck pitched forward". Can some one elaborate?

Cheers
Jeff

Pitched forward is how any mower deck should be as far as I know. And just look in your Bobcat manual...it will say the same thing.

Dont like to bash other dealers but I would say yours has no clue what they are talking about.

Lynden-Jeff
06-03-2007, 03:09 PM
You know I have had more arguments in the last few days about this then anything that I can remember. Many people on here and the manual say forward however every guy at my dealer says to pitch the front up and so does my partner, along with another colleague who have both been cutting for much longer then me. It seems to be cutting great as far as I can see so I don't really have any reason to change it however I'm going to give it a week in the field, if it cuts crap then I will re pitch front down.

Cheers
Jeff

Lynden-Jeff
06-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Well I take it all back. Went out and cut with it and it just bogged like a bastard. I tried my self to level the deck and its more like 1/2" off. It still cutting like crap, better but not as good as id like. I need to reduce the pitch. Will this help? Also how would I know if tip speed is down?

Cheers
Jeff

pugs
06-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Well I take it all back. Went out and cut with it and it just bogged like a bastard. I tried my self to level the deck and its more like 1/2" off. It still cutting like crap, better but not as good as id like. I need to reduce the pitch. Will this help? Also how would I know if tip speed is down?

Cheers
Jeff

That is hard to say. I would take the belts off and check all the spindles and idlers for nice free movement with no horrid noises. And then check the engine RPM.

Honestly before all of that though I would get the deck set right.

This is for an "A" model...dunno if yours is an A or earlier or later.

Vikings
06-03-2007, 11:58 PM
I don't get it either. I didn't know there was supposed to be any difference in height. It's counter intuitive to me.

Mower blades are round and the tips spin to make a circle. Only the very front and the very back of of that circle would be 1/4 inch different in height. and all around the circumference, would slow raise or lower in height.

So wouldn't you be cutting out very shallow bows? Maybe it's less then the eye can see though.

And how about 21" mowers?

heritage
06-04-2007, 01:22 AM
Level Deck Pitch will leave the least amount of stringers BUT will use more fuel/require more power. Back and front of blade are cutting.

Pitch front of deck down 1/8th to 1/4" from back of blade will take less power as the front of spindle is where the cutting takes place.

Get the front of blade as little as possable, lower than back of blade. (1/8th inch) This is how Scag used to have stock setup, and a great cut as I recall.

Hope that helps.

Pete D

Vikings
06-04-2007, 01:51 AM
I'm going to try that, every little bit helps.

randy448
06-04-2007, 06:36 AM
Lower in front or you are cutting grass twice = twice the load on engine = bogging unit down. I would look for anither dealer.:usflag:

Lynden-Jeff
06-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Lowered the front of the deck to 1/8th. Sharpened the new blades. Made sure the tensioner moves freely and the spindles spin freely and everything seems to be good. See how it goes!

Cheers
Jeff