PDA

View Full Version : Goat-Clearing???

TheLawnShark
06-01-2007, 08:05 PM
I thought about this after seeing a man plowing his field and being pulled by horses. How funny would it be if a customer wanted a field cleared or a bunch of brush removed and you said that it would be no problem and you put a couple of goats in their yard!! I mean, those things will eat anything so I might have to give that one a try sometime.

Nathan Robinson
06-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Get the fainting goats. everytime you startle them they pass out. I would have tons of fun doing that. Let me know if you ever tell that to a customer and let me know their response

Olylawnboy
06-01-2007, 11:48 PM
When I did the "back to the land" thing many years ago lots of us hippies did this very thing and it does work. And we learned this from the old farmers.
A couple of things to know. Goats don't eat "everything" :) They will eat what they prefer first. But you can force them to eat more than they would normaly prefer. You can't just put them into a yard :) you have to contain them. To let them roam free you need one heck of a fence! :) as they can find a way out that you would not believe, and they can jump like you would never imagine :)
You need to put them on a collar and leash, and the leash needs to be a light cable as they quickly learn to chew through rope of any kind :) You can then connect the leash to one of those curley dog things that you screw into the ground if you have a younger goat that hasn't been tested as to it's limits :) The next best thing is to make a overhead teather run like you would for a dog to give them a little more range. They do appriciate that. You need to plant two poles (I did them 32" apart). And you can pivot one of them in a radius situation or move them both as time goes on depending on the shape of the piece you are trying to clear.
Also you need to make sure they always have fresh water.
The next chapter will be about using pigs to root up tree stumps :)

DiyDave
06-02-2007, 07:34 PM
The way to tether goats is to attach them to an old truck tire and rim. What size? You'll have to experiment a little, but when we had a big billy goat, we tethered him to a 20" truck rim and tire, and he would move it a little. Be sure to have plenty of water for him to drink, and check on him frequently, to make sure the tether is not tangled.:walking: :walking: