PDA

View Full Version : What am I worth to you...

jfmx345
06-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Everyone knows one of the hardest parts of business is finding and keeping good employees.

Here's the scenario...
I apply to your company with these credentials...

ICPI/NCMA certified
Commercial applicator for turf/ornamental,
8yrs direct sales experience,
3 years supervisory/management,
Class A CDL,
5 years experience in every aspect of Landscaping including installs, maintenance, and design,
Positive attitude,
great with people.

What do you pay me? How about benny's? The only training I would need would be on specific company policies.

Would you rather hire me, or start from scratch and train your own?

Nathan Robinson
06-01-2007, 10:24 PM
first question would be why arent you and it looks like you bounce alot or your just really old. I would say a base salary of $700.00 a week.

nobagger
06-01-2007, 10:31 PM
It depends what the company is looking for. I would love to hire a guy who can just go from the start and run a crew...but, remember in this industry it very "dog-eat dog" and a lot of companies just cant afford to hire expensive employees. Ive lost so many jobs by just a few bucks so a lot of it IMO, has to do with the size of the company, the direction they want to go with their business and specific things they do or dont do. Around here a foreman should make around 10-15 dollars/hr. With all of your credentials and experience why not go into business for yourself?

nobagger
06-01-2007, 10:34 PM
By the way where in PA are you? I'm in NWPA and my guys are making anywhere from $7/hr (brand new guy) to $9/hr plus bonuses just for mowing, and thats gonna have to change by the end of the year.

Nathan Robinson
06-01-2007, 10:34 PM
yea! what no bagger said!

jfmx345
06-01-2007, 10:38 PM
This is more of a survey question. I am in business for myself. What I was basically getting at is, good employees typically go into business for themselves. I was just wondering to what extent you would go to in order to keep an ideal employee.

nobagger- I'm just outside Harrisburg.

paponte
06-02-2007, 06:43 AM
If everyhing you are saying is true, you would be worth $20hr to me. I would need to see credentials, and would interview you. But bottom line is, you get what you pay for. I don't agree with companies can't afford to pay high cost employees, I think they just don't want to. An employee as stated will more than pay for themselves within a good company. :)

cgland
06-02-2007, 08:06 AM
Firstly, you have alot of credentials, but depending on what my company is hiring for some of those credentials wouldn't be worth much. With those types of attributes I would say you would fit in as an operation manager and I would salary you at $45K/ year plus bonuses. If it were strictly a hardscape foreman position, maybe $20-$25/hr.........spray tech, $14-$17/hr.

Chris

Eric D
06-02-2007, 08:17 AM
first question would be why arent you and it looks like you bounce alot or your just really old. I would say a base salary of $700.00 a week.

Legally, a comment on age can get you a world of hurt these days when it comes to not hiring because of it.:nono:

forestfireguy
06-02-2007, 06:26 PM
When can you start?????

mrusk
06-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Hows your spanish?

GreenMonster
06-03-2007, 09:38 AM
If those credentials and that experience equated to your ability to manage and run every aspect of a project that I were to assign to you, you'd start around $20/hr.

Yes, we're hiring. NH is a beautiful year round place to live. :D

PatriotLandscape
06-03-2007, 01:25 PM
We are hiring too and the Cape is much nicer than NH this time of year :) how's $22 sound?

GreenMonster
06-03-2007, 03:38 PM
We are hiring too and the Cape is much nicer than NH this time of year :) how's $22 sound?

HA! LMAO! $2 more an hour to work/live near the Cape? You better pack a cardboard box so you can have someplace to live!

forestfireguy
06-03-2007, 05:53 PM
C'mon Greenmonster......he wouldn't be the first to live in a tent for the summer........LOL. Anway they are outbidding me anyway.

D Felix
06-04-2007, 11:51 PM
So, Mark, what am *I* worth to you?? :D Chris has already stated $45k++, can you top that??? :laugh:

GreenMonster
06-05-2007, 05:02 PM
So, Mark, what am *I* worth to you?? :D Chris has already stated $45k++, can you top that??? :laugh:

Why would it matter if I could (which BTW, probably WOULD)? There seems to be a force field around Indiana that is keeping you there :rolleyes:

D Felix
06-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Why would it matter if I could (which BTW, probably WOULD)? There seems to be a force field around Indiana that is keeping you there :rolleyes:
Yeah, the force field is made up of a lot of things, namely winters that aren't insanely harsh!

Stillwater
06-08-2007, 10:21 AM
I would start you at about 18.00 per hour if I had to, no bennys, I perfer to take the time to train my own. your 8 years of sales means nothing and your 5 years install experience means something but not as much as you might think becouse we do it my way. you imply greatness with your words so you might be the type that will allways be agressively looking over the fence for more so their will be a trust issue from the start.

Stillwater
06-09-2007, 02:07 AM
JFMX,,, if you really want to know what your credentials will get you go to salary.com enter them in and pick anywhere in the country you want and they will give you a ball park idea of what you are worth. You would be surprised

D Felix
06-09-2007, 03:45 PM
we do it my way.
Even though I'm not the original poster, I'm similarly qualified... Your statement that I quoted would make it hard for me to want to work for you anyway. I can respect "doing it your way", but I would like to think that you would be open minded enough to accept the fact that my way may be faster and possibly even a better way of doing it.

Your employees should learn from you, but you should be willing to learn from your employees as well. It's NOT a one-way street!

forestfireguy
06-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Felix.........Very well put. Lots and lots of people are too thick headed or arrogant, call it whatever you like, but I think it's good to have an open mind and try new methods every once and a while.......

Stillwater
06-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Even though I'm not the original poster, I'm similarly qualified... Your statement that I quoted would make it hard for me to want to work for you anyway. I can respect "doing it your way", but I would like to think that you would be open minded enough to accept the fact that my way may be faster and possibly even a better way of doing it.

Your employees should learn from you, but you should be willing to learn from your employees as well. It's NOT a one-way street!

you could not be more correct I kinda sounded like a jerk that was not my intent....thank you for pointing that out.

andrewcarrigan
06-10-2007, 01:43 PM
for someone thats really good in sales or a forman postion that can get things done, we would pay 1500 week plus bonus and truck supplied .it really depends on what a person can get done

andrewcarrigan
06-10-2007, 01:49 PM
1500 a week plus bouns and truck for a good salesmen or forman that can get things done

Bill S
06-12-2007, 12:56 PM
$52000 per annum plus 5% commission on sales.

sheshovel
06-12-2007, 05:58 PM
I would start you at about 18.00 per hour if I had to, no bennys, I perfer to take the time to train my own. your 8 years of sales means nothing and your 5 years install experience means something but not as much as you might think becouse we do it my way. you imply greatness with your words so you might be the type that will allways be agressively looking over the fence for more so their will be a trust issue from the start.

Oh his sales exp does mean something, means he can sell your clients on extras, make suggestions for more work and sell your companies services to prospective clients.
His 5 years landscape exp means a lot too, you hire someone with exp so you don't have to babysit them and so you can trust them to go do a job well their own way with little tweaking by you.
Not only that but I agree about someone who thinks their way is always the way things should be done, that is not always the case and one needs to be flexible and adaptable to new ideas and ways of doing things in this business to stay competitive.