PDA

View Full Version : Tilling pricing

deyoe1118
06-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Is their a set price anyone uses for tilling?

wmcrum6
06-04-2007, 10:59 AM
I charge a minimum of 40.00 to do a garden or flower bed. There may be guys cheaper, but with the cost of transportation and time, it isnt worth it to me to do it less then 40.oo. I give an ballpark figure over the phone: 40-50-60. dollars and tell them that I will give a firm price when I arrive. You cant price a tilling job strictly by the size of the garden. A new cut means more time and gas, thus a higher price. A large garden that is tilled yearly, with nice composted soil will take less time then a small strip filled with clay and rock. Also watch out for small gardens next to the house or fence, where you are always man handling the tiller and have to turn it alot---more labor.
My goal is to make a profit of 40. per hour after expenses. Keep track of your customers and give them a call next spring and you will have repeat customers. This will allow you to schedule them-- by locality- and keep your expenses down. I do about 60 gardens in a six week period in May/June in Ohio.

green horizons
06-04-2007, 05:02 PM
I do alot of tilling and it's usually a hard sell. I mean, everbody wants it, but very few want to pay for it. I have a minimum charge. It equals the daily rental cost for a rototiller. I won't estimate over the phone, but I will tell them the minimum charge. If they're still interested I'll drive and give written estimate. But seriously, if I field 10 calls, I might bid 3 and land 1. It's always about price. Daily rental (locally) is 65-85 dollars. If they won't pay that, then they can't afford to do the work themselves, let alone hire a contractor.