PDA

View Full Version : new customer guys!!!

BLKSS
06-02-2007, 12:41 AM
got a new customer in the colleyville area, the mans wife wants some seasonal flowers planted in her front area. the area is about 6x3, what are the colors that are in season right now, never did anything like this before but will learn hopefully with the great advice from you guy's. so where should i start and what should i purchase. also how do i go about priceing for something like this? any help welcome.
thanks
BLKSS

Grits
06-02-2007, 02:10 AM
Ask her what colors she likes and go find something she would like. Or just go get a few flats of different colors and plant them. Seasonal color plants are cheap. Charge her the cost of the plants with a mark-up and the time it takes to do the job. It ain't that hard.

BLKSS
06-02-2007, 04:12 AM
sounds great and all but do i have to put new soil, and mulch? there is some in the flower bed, do i just remove that and put new muclh and soil in? as an example how much would yall charge?

fiveoboy01
06-02-2007, 04:37 AM
I really don't know much about planting flowers. Did plant a few in my beds a couple months ago after putting new mulch down. Adding a little color really makes them stand out.

As for colors, I've seen a lot of red, white, yellow and purple around here. I think you could go with whatever the customer wanted though.

I'm going to hit the bookstores this weekend and look for some quality books on flower gardening. I think that this is something I might want to get into next year, I think it would supplement mulch installations nicely.

Runner
06-02-2007, 07:50 AM
Depending on the amount of mulch there, probably not, unless it is still an inch or so thick. Do yourself a favor and get some Miracle-gro, and don't make the proverbial mistake of planting them too close to each other. So often, people will fill the bed because the plants are so small - fresh out of the flat. You have to give them room to expand....to grow. You will get much better blooms if they are not all crowded in.

greg1
06-02-2007, 09:20 AM
BLKSS,
Try to make the flower bed area more distinctive from the rest of the planting bed. Do this by burming the soil up 6 - 8" and ammend the soil with a generous amount of peat moss. Try not to square the flower bed off, gentle curves usually look the best. You won't need alot of material or flowers for 18 square feet. Don't overplant and stay with the recommended spacing.
As with plantings in general, have different levels to your flower beds.
Tall in the back, medium height on the left and right sides, low in the front.

Lets try something patriotic- Medium height red salvia in the back. White impatience to the left and right and blue ageratum in the center.

There is almost always somekind of varmint that is going to eat your new planting so put that into your flower selection choices. Instill to the homeowner about regular watering and fertilizer.

Do your research and then have fun with it, it's not a big money maker but it will hopefully bring you experience and more customers.

bohiaa
06-02-2007, 09:45 AM
dont forget the heat factor.... I'm from the Dallas area

fiveoboy01
06-02-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm gonna get blasted for this question, but what's a flat?

Is that just a pan full of flowers still in the little plastic trays?

Does a flat denote any specific amount of flowers?

Thanks.

greg1
06-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Yes a flat is just a plastic tray that holds a specific quantity of flowers, ground cover, etc. they range in numbers depending on variety and pot size.

bohiaa
06-02-2007, 07:27 PM
I'm gonna get blasted for this question, but what's a flat?

Is that just a pan full of flowers still in the little plastic trays?

Does a flat denote any specific amount of flowers?

Thanks.

Your allright in my book.......... I belive there is no dumb questions.....

ed2hess
06-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Prepare the bed by using Miracle-gro flower bed mix...runs around $10 per bag. Use a blood meal/bone meal mix as fertilize. It is almost to late for Begonia so the next in line is Zinnias or Marigolds and put out something to kill slugs/pill bugs. Assume they have a sprinkler system, check to be sure it is watering flowers. If temp turns to 90F they must be watered every day for a while. We charge $25/flat and that is 20 plants plus the fertilize and soil amendments.. Plant them close since it is late. Planting flowers for people in Texas is a loser unless you are going to take care of the beds......I do a lot of commercial and these things need constant care.

BLKSS
06-02-2007, 11:58 PM
good so i can run this by the owner