PDA

View Full Version : Growth regulators on turf

lawn and stump
06-02-2007, 07:39 AM
I was just reading about PGR'S and was considering using a backpack to spray the turf where I usually string trim. The article said to add some iron to the mix because the PGR causes yellowing of the grass. Anybody do this and what do you use for product?

Ric
06-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Phil

Two terms you might want to learn is the Difference between Chemical Mowing and Growth Regulation. In a nut Shell a Growth regulator changes the growth pattern Like the chemical Primo. While Chemical mowing stunts Growth Like Roundup at lower rates. There are other chemicals that do the same thing. Of course to legally apply either requires a Pesticide License.

Your question sounds more like a Chemical Mowing application in stead of Growth Regulation. Chemical mowing with Roundup will depend on the Turf you wish to control. Here on Warm season Turf 1/2 oz of Roundup per gallon per thousand Sq Ft will kill St Augustine and only slow down Bahia for a short period of time. Primo and other growth regulator are very expensive per gallon and cost per thousand of application can vary greatly depending on species of turf. 0.05 of an oz per thousand can change growth on St Augustine but Other species can take an OZ per thousand.

DUSTYCEDAR
06-02-2007, 03:09 PM
u can also make the lawn look real funny if u have a limp wrist and dont get even coverage

timturf
06-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Phil

Two terms you might want to learn is the Difference between Chemical Mowing and Growth Regulation. In a nut Shell a Growth regulator changes the growth pattern Like the chemical Primo. While Chemical mowing stunts Growth Like Roundup at lower rates. There are other chemicals that do the same thing. Of course to legally apply either requires a Pesticide License.

Your question sounds more like a Chemical Mowing application in stead of Growth Regulation. Chemical mowing with Roundup will depend on the Turf you wish to control. Here on Warm season Turf 1/2 oz of Roundup per gallon per thousand Sq Ft will kill St Augustine and only slow down Bahia for a short period of time. Primo and other growth regulator are very expensive per gallon and cost per thousand of application can vary greatly depending on species of turf. 0.05 of an oz per thousand can change growth on St Augustine but Other species can take an OZ per thousand.

Now wouldn't that depend on the concentration of your particular roundup?

You asked Ric!

Ric
06-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Now wouldn't that depend on the concentration of your particular roundup?

You asked Ric!

Tim

You got me!:D The Glyphosate that most LCO buy today is 41% AI and that is what I use for Chemical mowing. I also use 53.8% Aquatic labelled Glyphosate for some other application other than Chemical Mowing. Aquatic Glyphosate has no sticker or Surfactants, so it must be added to get the full effect.

I have chemically mowed or sprayed Roundup (glyphosate) on my own lawn for years now. The results can be a weed free Bahia/Bermuda lawn that needs mowed about every 4 to 6 weeks in the rainy season. However It took me several mistakes to get the right set up and calibration. As Dusty pointed out, Stripping can make a yard look awful funny. Chemical Mowing has been use in Agriculture for years now. Local Government is starting to catch on to it and the cost saving of chemical mowing.

MNmasterEXTERMINATOR
06-02-2007, 11:22 PM
What would be the calibration for chemical mowing on bluegrass? Has anyone figured it out yet?

Ric
06-03-2007, 12:23 AM
What would be the calibration for chemical mowing on bluegrass? Has anyone figured it out yet?

Master

http://www.monsanto.com/monsanto/us_ag/content/crop_pro/labels/roundup_orig.pdf

Page 15 section 12.3 Talks about Chemical mowing and recommends 6 oz per acre for Blue Grass and 8 oz for Fescue in 20 gallons of water.

However what works for you is a matter of Trail and Error. My first experience with Chemical mowing was in fact by accident. I was clearing over growth brush for a Nursery and the Bermuda was so hard to kill that I sprayed it many times to end up maintaining it by Chemical mowing because it was un-mowable. Rather than weed whip it I continued to spray it. I then tried it on my mowable areas and have continued to chemical mow to this day. I have since learned which Ground covers are resistant to Roundup and have installed them on un-mowable banks etc. Bermuda can hold soil well and chemical mowing of it become very economical.

I will warn you that Roundup is best use on Industrial type setting and not Fine Turf. Primo is what most use for Growth regulation on Fine Turf.

DUSTYCEDAR
06-03-2007, 09:10 AM
and even with primo u can mess up a lawn real bad go light and add as u see fit

Ric
06-03-2007, 10:26 AM
and even with primo u can mess up a lawn real bad go light and add as u see fit

Dusty

A few years back Both Tremor and Kirbylawns posted a lot about Primo. I believe Kirby no longer is mowing or spraying and about to retire from his full time job as a paramedic. But both tremor and Kirby forgotten more about Primo than I know. Here are some links. You may search for more.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=34185&highlight=Primo

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=28295&highlight=primo+maxx

MNmasterEXTERMINATOR
06-03-2007, 10:51 AM
I have used PGR on turf once. It was a few weeks ago and I used Embark t/o that was recommended by a distributor. I have read though it is not the professionals choice usually. I checked the grass, which was tall fescue growing in a field I had just cut down all the brush, the fescue was still holding still a week later, but I haven't checked the grass lately. Embark is supposed to hold up for 8 weeks? does it?

Ric
06-03-2007, 11:19 AM
I have used PGR on turf once. It was a few weeks ago and I used Embark t/o that was recommended by a distributor. I have read though it is not the professionals choice usually. I checked the grass, which was tall fescue growing in a field I had just cut down all the brush, the fescue was still holding still a week later, but I haven't checked the grass lately. Embark is supposed to hold up for 8 weeks? does it?

Master

I have never Used Embark on Turf but have had great success with it on Shrubs.

garydale
06-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Even application is the trick, you have to be consistant and not miss or over apply.

Try using the products on difficult to mow areas, slopes, non-lawn or fencelines to get the hang of it.

Once applied unevenly,you will not be able to even it out.

TLS
06-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Years ago when Primo was first introduced, I got a few sample bottles from them. I used them from time to time around edges that I didn't want to string trim. Worked great. Primo makes the turf you spray really dark green anyway....unless the formula changed since then (which I know it has).