PDA

View Full Version : High voltage lighting

TXNSLighting
06-02-2007, 11:40 AM
How do you guys get around the high voltage uplighting the bilders put on homes? havent done a house like this yet. but we have alot of them around here, so im sure im bound to get a call before long with a house that has it.
Thanks

Chris J
06-02-2007, 12:16 PM
What do you mean "get around it?" Typically, if a homeowner has a few line voltage fixtures that were for the purpose of "landscpae lighting", I will recommend the removal of these fixtures and install a new LV system. I'll sub out the line voltage work to my electrician.
Let me know what you mean exactly, and I'll try to give you a better answer.

Pro-Scapes
06-02-2007, 12:19 PM
I have gotten thru this twice. Both times the clients were unhappy with how bright the line voltage sodium lighting appeared and both times unhappy with the glare associated with having floods mounted out front the home.

Some people really do like it and thoes people will most likley never be your clients.

In one case we were asked to make sure the sodium lights remained operational so they could use them if ever needed. They have yet to turn them on again since our install. We simply installed a new system. No need to go around anything.

In the other case we were asked to have the sodiums removed. Our electrician took care of that and installed our outlets off the existing lines since they were on thier own timer and breakers anyways it worked out perfect for providing our line voltage requirments. He relocated them about 8 ft behind a planting bed so we were able to hide our transformers on posts.

Different people like different things. Some people really like thier searchlights in the front yard glaring at the home. Others preffer the soft ambience that only a well designed low voltage system will provide.

TXNSLighting
06-02-2007, 01:13 PM
What do you mean "get around it?" Typically, if a homeowner has a few line voltage fixtures that were for the purpose of "landscpae lighting", I will recommend the removal of these fixtures and install a new LV system. I'll sub out the line voltage work to my electrician.
Let me know what you mean exactly, and I'll try to give you a better answer.

just puttin well lights in under them. cuz the builder will usually put them where i want mine. i wasnt sure if you could remove them or not, but yal cleared that up. thank ya sir.

TXNSLighting
06-02-2007, 01:20 PM
I have gotten thru this twice. Both times the clients were unhappy with how bright the line voltage sodium lighting appeared and both times unhappy with the glare associated with having floods mounted out front the home.

Some people really do like it and thoes people will most likley never be your clients.

In one case we were asked to make sure the sodium lights remained operational so they could use them if ever needed. They have yet to turn them on again since our install. We simply installed a new system. No need to go around anything.

In the other case we were asked to have the sodiums removed. Our electrician took care of that and installed our outlets off the existing lines since they were on thier own timer and breakers anyways it worked out perfect for providing our line voltage requirments. He relocated them about 8 ft behind a planting bed so we were able to hide our transformers on posts.

Different people like different things. Some people really like thier searchlights in the front yard glaring at the home. Others preffer the soft ambience that only a well designed low voltage system will provide.

well thank you guys for the help. ill know ow to deal with that now! ill make sure to keep that in my spill if their on the house.

Pro-Scapes
06-02-2007, 02:53 PM
well thank you guys for the help. ill know ow to deal with that now! ill make sure to keep that in my spill if their on the house.

are you talking about the flood lights mounted on the corner eaves of homes ? This is pretty common here. I go about the install as if they were not there. If your talking about surface mounted carraige style they can be integrated into your design or swapped out for a fixture with less glare by your electrician. We recently had some carraige lights swapped out for us in favor of some up and down scones then added 2 pathlights to replace walkway illumination the carraige lights threw.

Lite4
06-02-2007, 03:38 PM
The big trend here is line voltage can lights mounted in the soffits of houses. We will usually just remove the bulbs out of the cans and put a cover on the hole. this allows us to do our softer lighting on the house as well as save the homeowner some 'Jack'.

Chris J
06-02-2007, 05:02 PM
The big trend here is line voltage can lights mounted in the soffits of houses. We will usually just remove the bulbs out of the cans and put a cover on the hole. this allows us to do our softer lighting on the house as well as save the homeowner some 'Jack'.

With this type of lighting, sometimes you can use it to your advantage. Simply add additional Low voltage lighting to accent more areas of the yard, use some bullets to accentuate columns or other architectural features of the home, etc,. Then use a UPB network to control the entire lighting scene, both the low voltage and line voltage, and adjust the intensity of the line voltage to be more soft so that it blends with the rest of the design. The UPB devices can be integrated so that everything turns on and off at the same time.

Lite4
06-02-2007, 05:06 PM
true, true- good point.

Lite4
06-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Hey Chris, by the way saw your truck on another thread. Excellent looking graphics. That has got to be an eyecatcher.

Chris J
06-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Hey Chris, by the way saw your truck on another thread. Excellent looking graphics. That has got to be an eyecatcher.

Yeah, it has done real good for me in attracting new customers. Most of the subdivisions we work in don't allow yard signs. They can't say anything about my truck though, so I'll park in plain view and pass out cards while my guys are installing the job. I also put an enormous amount of miles on the highways around here. Nothing like a rolling billboard!
It is a pain to keep up though. No more going through the cheep car washes. Have to be real careful with it so I don't scratch the vinyl.

Lite4
06-02-2007, 05:29 PM
You have inspired me to deck out my small cargo trailer.

Chris J
06-03-2007, 09:45 AM
You have inspired me to deck out my small cargo trailer.

Now there's one to put in my scrap book! Me? An inspiration? Most think I'm more of a pain in the ass, but thanks for the boost. :laugh:

TXNSLighting
06-03-2007, 01:21 PM
are you talking about the flood lights mounted on the corner eaves of homes ? This is pretty common here. I go about the install as if they were not there. If your talking about surface mounted carraige style they can be integrated into your design or swapped out for a fixture with less glare by your electrician. We recently had some carraige lights swapped out for us in favor of some up and down scones then added 2 pathlights to replace walkway illumination the carraige lights threw.

no their sometimes mounted under windows, and in places our well lights will go in the ground, just on the walls. so our wells will shine right up on them. and light those lights up! maybe i need to put some pics up here...