PDA

View Full Version : Grassy Weed Pics... Advice Please.

sandman23
06-02-2007, 11:44 AM
I think that this may be Orchard Grass left over from the original (builder) seed. I use a Lesco Fescue Seed and doubt that these weeds are from it. It is very unappealing and I don't see what I can do other than round it up and re-seed (in the fall of course). I hand pick at it but there is just way too much to think I can pick it all out. Last pic is in a different area of the same lawn.

This is 5 days of growth. As you can see, it grows fast and doesn't cut well. I use a Exmark Hp 23/46.

mkroher
06-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Looks like rye grass to me.

Picture Perfect Landscape
06-02-2007, 02:32 PM
I got the same ish going on in my back yard. That crap grows like an inch a day atleast!

mkroher
06-02-2007, 03:11 PM
without a close-up of where the leaf meets the stalk, it's hard to say. Might be some guys on lawnsite that identify it better. But i still say rye grass.

round-up and reseed if it bothers you that much.

mike33087
06-02-2007, 03:37 PM
i call it crab grass, w/e it is really called it SUCKS! scotts step 2 usually gets rid of most of it

mkroher
06-02-2007, 07:14 PM
uhh...that's FAR from crabgrass.

scotts step 2 is "weed & feed". It won't control any grassy weeds. Actually, I don't think it successfully controls any weeds.

DLCS
06-02-2007, 07:43 PM
By the looks of the pics, I'd say rye.

amlawn
06-02-2007, 08:21 PM
sandman23, check out www.weedalert.com and compare the pics. is a great site for identification. jim

mkroher
06-02-2007, 08:34 PM
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/TURF/TURFSPECIES/annrye.html

puppypaws
06-02-2007, 09:05 PM
I think that this may be Orchard Grass left over from the original (builder) seed. I use a Lesco Fescue Seed and doubt that these weeds are from it. It is very unappealing and I don't see what I can do other than round it up and re-seed (in the fall of course). I hand pick at it but there is just way too much to think I can pick it all out. Last pic is in a different area of the same lawn.

This is 5 days of growth. As you can see, it grows fast and doesn't cut well. I use a Exmark Hp 23/46.

I am pretty well positive that is Tall Fescue and only a non selective herbicide such as Glyphosate will solve your problem.http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/tall_fescue_43/

sandman23
06-03-2007, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the replies. I did'nt think that there was a quick solution. Glyphosate (Round Up) looks like the way to go. I guess I will just have to pick at it until it is time to seed. It sure is ugly and is growing out of control.

topsites
06-03-2007, 01:36 AM
From the look of things, it's probably Drama lawn.

But yeah I also call that crabgrass, it's what it looks like in its early stages, getting to be that time of year.

And if it is tall fescue, that would be a type of healthy lawn, tall fescue is no weed.
Tall fescue (Festuca arundinacea) is a deep rooted, cool season perennial grass.
Matter of fact, if I build a lawn it's with tall fescue, that's my seed of choice. :laugh: (yes, it really is)

Oh btw, never ever spray a total vegetation killer into a lawn!
Try drive, forget the other stuff, what was it, acclaim?
I myself use drive, yes, that is the name of what I use.

puppypaws
06-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the replies. I did'nt think that there was a quick solution. Glyphosate (Round Up) looks like the way to go. I guess I will just have to pick at it until it is time to seed. It sure is ugly and is growing out of control.

Does it look like the picture on the link I posted of the Tall Fescue or does it look like something else?

SpudsM15
06-03-2007, 11:07 AM
I too would call that crabgrass. I spray Acclaim for it. Talk to your lesco rep they will help you out.

NickN
06-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Kentucky 31.Considered a weed in the south.Roundup is about the only thing that will kill it,other than digging it out.

PR Fect
06-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Kentucky 31 or Tall Fescue is a weed in a lawn that is not all big bladed grass. K31 is planted on road sides, and horse pastures. And in the transition zone many lawns are put in as tall fescue. I hate the stuff. It invades my bluegrass, rye, fine fescue lawns! And you can get rid of it without using Glyposate or a total kill herbicide. Corsair works, also repeated apps of speedzone at the max label rate, and I am told Certainty is labeled for it also. But all of that said, and you telling us you seeded with fescue, I do not think what you have is big blade TF. And it looks nothing like crab grass so stop calling it that!:)

EJD Lawnpride
06-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Looks like ryegrass. Is there a prominent vein? And is it ribbed on one side?

Runner
06-05-2007, 03:27 AM
LOL This is a good one! It IS hard to tell with these pics, but by the first pic, I am leaning kind of toward K-31 tall fescue, as well. The other pics kind of throw me though, because it is unusual to see it that thin like there. I would REALLY lean toward foxtail (green). http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/green_foxtail_53/

puppypaws
06-05-2007, 07:58 AM

This is Orchard Grass, hope you can identify the seed head in these pictures.

The third picture is the best one of a single seed head.

If you could let a clump grow until you can make a picture of the seed head it will be easier to identify.

No matter what it is Glyphosate is the only cure I believe but we would know more with a seed head identification.

Taco Tim
06-05-2007, 01:39 PM
It looks like tall fescue to me. A lot of people in our area overseed their bermuda or zoysia in the wintertime with rye, to keep it looking green year round. I did this on my lawn this past winter, with the cheap annual rye, and I had tall fescue clumps coming up all over my bermuda. I guess it had some in the mix, I didn't pay attention to the label. I finally had to breakdown and buy some revolver for $185 qt., to get rid of it. The revolver goes quite a ways though.

puppypaws
06-05-2007, 02:48 PM
It looks like tall fescue to me. A lot of people in our area overseed their bermuda or zoysia in the wintertime with rye, to keep it looking green year round. I did this on my lawn this past winter, with the cheap annual rye, and I had tall fescue clumps coming up all over my bermuda. I guess it had some in the mix, I didn't pay attention to the label. I finally had to breakdown and buy some revolver for $185 qt., to get rid of it. The revolver goes quite a ways though.

I don't know about Zoysia but Bermuda can take a heavy load of Glyphosate and not be killed where the wild fescues would be at a very cheap price, almost nothing. Could this not be done, it may change the color of the Bermuda a little for a few days but it would come right back.

The Revolver is wonderful, especially on Bermuda greens and collars on golf courses.