PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki FB460v Surge

cm_tibbs
06-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Just bought a Ariens w/Kaw 460v. Runs great without the air cleaner. As soon as you screw the air cleaner downs it starts surging. I cleaned the vent hole beside the vent tube and that didn't help. Any ideas? Thanks

Restrorob
06-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Is that a new air filter you are installing ? I have seen filters that appeared to look ok but were in-fact partly clogged.

cm_tibbs
06-02-2007, 02:33 PM
No the filter isn't new. It does look clean. When the blade is engaged and I am mowing is seems to do good. If I kick out the blade it starts running rich and surging. I will get a new filter and try it. Thanks!

MowerMedic77
06-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Sounds like debris in the idle air circuit side of the carb, I would give it a good tear down and clean out with carb spray and compressed air.

cm_tibbs
06-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks! I'll give that a try too.

Restrorob
06-02-2007, 08:18 PM
If you do find trash in the carb clean the tank and flush the fuel line also then replace the fuel filter.

cm_tibbs
06-03-2007, 12:35 AM
Thanks! Will do.

Mark in MD
06-03-2007, 10:14 AM
It may be that you have an aftermarket air filter. They look just like genuine Kaw air filters, but they don't last. They clog up in no time and you have to replace them. I'd replace it with a genuine Kaw air filter.

heritage
06-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Just bought a Ariens w/Kaw 460v. Runs great without the air cleaner. As soon as you screw the air cleaner downs it starts surging. I cleaned the vent hole beside the vent tube and that didn't help. Any ideas? Thanks

Hi Tibbs,

I had this very same problem some time ago w/460. EXACT same symptoms.

You have a Bad/Leaky INTAKE VALVE. You can either change the valve and polish the seat w/ lapping coumpound OR Cut a 2" wide opening in the base of the air filter houseing, just behind the stock 1/8" air slot. Put the cover on and engage the blades.....SMOOTH :)

This one drove me nuts for weeks before I got this one :)

Pete D.

cm_tibbs
06-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Fantastic! Everyone has been a great help. Thanks,Tibbs

cm_tibbs
06-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Hi Tibbs,

I had this very same problem some time ago w/460. EXACT same symptoms.

You have a Bad/Leaky INTAKE VALVE. You can either change the valve and polish the seat w/ lapping coumpound OR Cut a 2" wide opening in the base of the air filter houseing, just behind the stock 1/8" air slot. Put the cover on and engage the blades.....SMOOTH :)

This one drove me nuts for weeks before I got this one :)

Pete D.

I did the holes in the housing and it works perfectly! Thanks,cm_tibbs

heritage
06-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Great Tibbs!

You will get another season perhaps before you lose too much power from the leaky valves. When this happens, get a valve job......Those 460's are a long lasting engine :)

Happy mowing!

Pete D.