PDA

View Full Version : retaining wall for raised patio

adilhoxha
06-02-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm going to be building a raised patio (about 24" high - 15' x 25') out of stone - just wondering about the wall I will build to hold all that gravel and pavers in place. The look isn't important because they are building planters around the outside edge - but for strength I've been told two ways - typical (and more expensive) wall block that has grooves and interlocks or another type of stone (I think they called the brand/name "delight"[?]) that looks like a glorified cinder block with some plastic clips; which the supplier said, in combination with filling them will gravel and using construction adhesive, would work fine for my retaining wall. Any thoughts/experiences with building a raised patio wall? Just don't want any future problems - want the patio to be be solid.

Thanks

greg1
06-02-2007, 06:11 PM
You really can't beat the longevity of decorative block retaining walls. They are very dimensional and tight fitting, hence they keep your other materials more confined and structurally sound for a longer period of time. The planters can be built and incorporated with the same block material. Depending on the setting and customer preference you may not want to use a modern or manufactured material, if so be prepared to hire a very skilled stone mason.