PDA

View Full Version : How do you get the blades of a 36" toro?

Vikings
06-02-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm assuming you take that red cover off the top then, with the front end of the mower held up with a 4x4, you put one wrench on the bolt near the blade and another wrench on the bolt in the middle of the pulley.

IS that right?

First I read the manual... not the best manual. It doesn't seem right to me, I'm thinking a whole lot of parts are going to come tumbling down.

And none of my wrenches fit, it must be at least 1 inch these bolts and nuts. I tried it with two smallish cresent wrenches but I didn't have the strength to budge it one bit. I even had my guy holding the bottom bolt while I tried twisting teh top but it just spun out of his hand.

It's brand new and I've never had a large wb before.

I guess I'm asking do I need to go and buy extra large and extra long wrenches? I'm waiting for a certain cordless Impact wrench to go on sale.. every few weeks it goes down to half price. I could sure use it now though.

Restrorob
06-02-2007, 08:25 PM
You have the procedure right, You may as well invest in the two wrenches, You will probably need one to hold the top anyway using the impact.

Also, Hold the top in place and spin the bottom loose, It's much easier and nothing will fall out of the spindle.

Vikings
06-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Hey, thanks again:)

Do you know if its 1" wrench? and there's no point in buying a torque wrench for these things eh? (they do recommend it in their manual)

EMJ
06-02-2007, 08:43 PM
I would use a jack stand or something a little more secure that a 4x4, to hold up your mower.

Vikings
06-02-2007, 09:00 PM
I would use a jack stand or something a little more secure that a 4x4, to hold up your mower.

Your right of course, I never thought these things would be so heavy. I do have a little hydrolic jack. I've been using it on the back axle to raise and lower the height there.

When I frist bought the thing I thought it was too high so I lowered the axle to the middle hole "c". I was scalping bad so I raised it to "b", and I'm still too low. I'm now trying to raise the blade itself half an inch.

Basically, I'm trying to be thrifty because I'm not made of money and I paid cash for the Mower ($3800) and then I realized I shouldn't dare taking it up and down ramps and decided to get a trailer. Tried to go cheap but I had to return it to Home Depot and bought a real trailer for $2380. Now I'm trying to scrimp and save to get flush again:laugh: that damn mower better not fall on me.

Restrorob
06-02-2007, 09:08 PM
I don't remember what size the bolt is, It's been a while since I took blades off a Toro. On spindles that the bearing pre-load is set by tightening the blades I would recommend a torque wrench. But the blades on this unit has nothing to do with bearing pre-load so it's your call if you want to torque them to spec.

And EMJ is right about the jack stand, It may not kill you if it fell but a face full of mower deck may not feel too good.

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-02-2007, 09:39 PM
mine is 15/16"

mini14
06-02-2007, 10:19 PM
just about all wb's are 15/16

Vikings
06-02-2007, 11:21 PM
It was 15/16", I looked at the selection and decided I better go back and measure.

I bought a Impact socket and a long wrench. $25 here in Canada.:(

Jay Ray
06-04-2007, 12:02 AM
The Jungle Jack works good on my Toro 44. A little expensive, think it was $165 USD, but it gets a deck up in the air fast and easy and it is stable. Just grab the thing, roll it to the mower, hook the front of the deck, pull down on the long handle, and set the safety. Made by the same co. that makes the Jungle Jim sulky. It is worth a look and a search on LS.