PDA

View Full Version : Ho made Aluminum tandem trailer

captbob
06-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Hi I just completed a trailer I made completely out of Aluminum including the torsion axles.It's 14 x 6.6 with .60 gauge aluminum canopy cypress deck covered
with 2 - 6x8 truck bed mats. I welded every thing with a Miller 30 A Aluminum Mig spoolgun powered by a 251 Millermatic welder. Ho made trimmer rack four 4 implements and custom made blower holder for the turtleback 600 series blower . Less than half the weight of steel and tows great the ramp is Sewer grate from Washington D.C found at a Salvage yard and most all the oval tubular tubing is from a marine mfg. co that makes T tops and flybridges for boats but all andonized The Prolocker holds the Lazer and by fate the E tracks fit right over the front frame and rear wheel of my little backyard machine Phazer 34 in with a motorcycle tie down. Took about a month to make in my backyard. I will try and post some pics
Capt Bob

corey4671
06-02-2007, 10:43 PM
I sure hope that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton don't read this..

captbob
06-02-2007, 10:52 PM
That's my nickname instead of Captain some of my friends call me "HO"

YukonG
06-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Awesome trailer. I'm a welder also; so I can really appreciate your work.
Why are the axles so far to the rear?

Eric D
06-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Very nice job! I really like the look. LED tail lights really set the whole thing off nice.

Thanks for sharing.

Eric D

JTF40
06-02-2007, 11:22 PM
VERY nice trailer - you should be proud. I was wandering about the axle position, also. :usflag:

Jason Rose
06-02-2007, 11:46 PM
I have a bunch of questions... The axle position? What the heck is the top for? Why do you have the trimmer racks so that you can only get to them from the inside? It looks like an enclosed trailer and a boat trailer mated and had a half-breed offspring. Granted it's "pretty" being all aluminium and shiny.

captbob
06-03-2007, 12:18 AM
The Top give's me needed shade and deflects the direct rain it's nice to sit on a cool seat in august rather than a butt sticking hot one plus it keeps the pounding rain from totally hammering my equipment. I put the rack on the inside for two reasons theft for one you have to enter the trailer to release the lock it's a problem I would rather solve than deal with plus I really dont
mind walking up the ramp to grab my trimmer get A drink catch some shade
ect. I am having some roll down Seamark material curtains made as we speak to pretty much enclose it when I park it on my property so I do not have to unload it during the rainy season they go from the top rail that hems the canopy to the bottom rail and completly encloses the front.I can drive with them down but most likely will leave them rolled up till I need them. So I have to have the rack on the inside for that anyway. As far as axel placement I started with a boat trailer frame with crossmembers and that's it - I had the aluminum solid axles from an old trailer I mounted them as far forward as possible I manage about the same tounge weight as my larger charter boat no problem with the expo no sag and tracks like a dream having the heavier
52 in Lazer engine behing the rear axel helps and being a tandem distrubuites the weight accross the undercarriage it would never work with this arrangement with a single axel as an added bonus the aluminum is much much lighter than a steel of the same size . I did my homework on this one
and got what I wanted. The Capt

jsf343
06-03-2007, 01:36 AM
WOW, that is really impressive. Very nice work. Whats your next project??

dcondon
06-03-2007, 07:43 AM
It's different but I like it. One thing about it people will never forget the LCO with the different trailer. Great job!!!

Plant Buyer 83
06-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Looks good man, im sure you put alot of time and effort into it. As said before thanks for sharing.

Matt

captbob
06-03-2007, 10:21 PM
You are right I have picked up 3 new lawns in a hoity toity neighborhood
I have several accounts in already and 2 people driving by and one walked up and asked me if I would please take on there lawns they all stopped to check out the trailer.. My buddy Capt Big Mike always says looking good is half the battle I know one thing they damn sure didnt stop to check me out !
Maybe a few years back but not lately.
Da Capt
Fishing tomorrow and cuttin on tue.

Birdhunter1
06-03-2007, 11:21 PM
I know a guy that goes by Capt. Mike down in that area, what's the last name of your buddy Capt. Mike? By chance is he an Irish computer geek?

captbob
06-04-2007, 04:00 AM
Mike Miklos he's part Greek and the rest we are not quite sure .He is a charter capt. as well but not practicing. He is very busy with a large irrigation / site development co. Outside interests inc.

mcwlandscaping
06-04-2007, 10:51 PM
that trailer is incredible! VERY nice job!

KTO Enterprises
06-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Just think there is a TON of advertizing space on there!

THEGOLDPRO
06-04-2007, 11:17 PM
edit never mind.

Rizzo
06-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Very nice! All it needs is some sweet aluminum mags...

tomo
06-11-2007, 04:45 AM
Hello , assuming u had the trailer weighed for dept of transport registration and the weight is [drooling ]:confused: :confused: ???????

Looks like a great unit . I personally just recently made a galvinised trailer and the summary is never again and apparently a similar cost to alloy trailer.

tomo:waving:

Sandgropher
06-11-2007, 05:21 AM
Very nice, i will be putting in an order soon, you can give up this lawnmowing caper, your future is in trailer fabrication . :usflag:

captbob
06-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the kind words it was a bit of a chore to find the materials at a price I could afford most of the oval tubing came from a marine scrapyard
Right now I think I will stick to Cutting and fishing and the occasional welding job. Da Capt

johndeerefan
06-11-2007, 08:13 AM
wow that is a very cool trailer I never seen any thing like that before. Great Job!

TinMan421
06-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Very nice. I like the canopy you have alot of money in equipment that top will help protect from the elements for sure.

I bet if you weren't that skilled in welding aluminum before you are now:laugh:

Turf Terror
06-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Nice work...

Lawn Enforcer
06-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Very, very nice job! It looks very good! Very sharp.

JJG84
06-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Captbob- i dont know if you mentioned it , but how much did this cost you to build?

Great work! Aluminum holds its value, so if ever you decide to scrap it, you are def. going to make out!

captbob
06-11-2007, 11:57 PM
I have no idea I mostly traded stuff for the materials I barter a lot I figure to build it purchasing the materials about 3500.00 aluminum is very expensive the labor was pure love on my end . I am attaching a couple of photos of the rolldown seamark rain sides I finished installing tonight I can trailer with them down or leave them rolled up completely seals the front and leaves a 10 in gap on the side for venting and light. The Capt

mebergstran
06-12-2007, 12:53 AM
that looks really slick! i'm impressed! good work.

Eric D
06-12-2007, 06:38 AM
I know I said it before, but hey, I'll say it again, NICE JOB!:usflag: I know I sure would mind have a trailer like yours. Do you have any idea on how much the empty unit weighs?

Eric D

Mickhippy
06-12-2007, 07:33 AM
I personally just recently made a galvinised trailer and the summary is never again and apparently a similar cost to alloy trailer. tomo:waving:

Tomo, what happened?

captbob
06-12-2007, 07:42 AM
I am gonna empty er out and take it to Bekins van line up the street I weighed my boats there I will post weight soon , I am kinda curious as well
I used cypress wood and it was wet when I installed it it gets much lighter when dried - A buddy from Church owns a Cypress saw mill free is for me.
Capt Bob

JJG84
06-12-2007, 05:02 PM
That trailer looks pretty dammm sharp captain.

im jealous.

Now all you need to do is hook 1 of those electronic led scrolling signs on each side for advertising. you should advertise your business name, number, and perhaps some specials amongst any other words you might come up with within the scrolling sign < I think that will be the icing on the cake.

tomo
06-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Tomo, what happened?

Hello , mick finally finished trailer.As with every thing there are pro and cons . Very happy with outcome ,as i now have a good template 4 the next trailer although that will not be 4 a few years .

Transport damage
Buckle of components from galvinising process
Luckly i only had minimal lap joins as they do retain the acid from the etching process
Finding a galviniser who has big enough baths to dip your trailer . I did check this out b4 building but apperently the baths over the years build up residue which makes them smaller. My trailer did not fit in the first companies baths although i was promised it would . Trailer only had 50mm clearance which also means they cannot shake or move trailer in bath ,as a result the sludge on top does stick to the item causing a lesser finish than is desirable .

SW Landscape Maintenance
06-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Nice trailer! Nice work...but what would this trailer provide over an enclosed trailer. Why not go with a enclosed trailer? Please don't take offense it does look good and weight wise would be nice to pull considering the cost of fuel. I guess the wind would blow through it rather than resist the wind like an enclosed trailer.:canadaflag:

New Heights
06-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Sweet trailer! What did that cost?

captbob
06-12-2007, 11:02 PM
I really did not want a fully enclosed trailer otherwise I would have built one or bought one I had one a couple of years ago although secure also very dark and hot basically here in florida your equipment bakes at temps over 120inside. As you stated the air does flow thru as well on mine, I can also reach in the sides for needed equipment . I primarly leave the sides up unless it rains or I am parking the trailer back on my property I like the open air of it there is always a bit of a breeze inside and my seats are not hot and sticky. Functional at least for me it works great. Plus I can get at equipment at the front of the trailer when loaded without having to unload or step over a lawnmower and I dont need a side door.And it's much lighter than a steel
enclosed trailer . The Capt

captbob
06-12-2007, 11:10 PM
I did not keep track of the materials to much, Did a lot of trading on this one
I figure bout 3500.00 for the aluminum alone it's almost as expensive as gold these days why do you think all those beer can bums now all have new F 150'S. But the labor and welding was a great learning experience this is the second one I built the first was a 5x10 steel with a canopy simalar to A covered wagon nice but not big enough for 3 mowers I use it for my welding equipment when I am going mobile. Capt Bob

KTO Enterprises
06-12-2007, 11:14 PM
I give captain bob TWO THUMBS UP! Excellent job and idea.

Mickhippy
06-13-2007, 04:53 AM
Hello , mick finally finished trailer.As with every thing there are pro and cons . Very happy with outcome ,as i now have a good template 4 the next trailer although that will not be 4 a few years .

Transport damage
Buckle of components from galvinising process
Luckly i only had minimal lap joins as they do retain the acid from the etching process
Finding a galviniser who has big enough baths to dip your trailer . I did check this out b4 building but apperently the baths over the years build up residue which makes them smaller. My trailer did not fit in the first companies baths although i was promised it would . Trailer only had 50mm clearance which also means they cannot shake or move trailer in bath ,as a result the sludge on top does stick to the item causing a lesser finish than is desirable .

Sorry you had problems mate. I feel kinda responsible after saying such good things about it.

Hope it all works out for ya. How about some pics? PM me if you like instead of hijacking the thread.

ke5hbd
06-14-2007, 01:17 AM
I like the trailer and now your giving me an idea to change the direction om my new trailer purchase/build

I like the aluminum as I was going to have an aluminum floor installed in my new trailer.

I think Ill x the side panels and put a top on it because I was considering using a rollover tarp.

I'm like you I like trying to keep the equipment out of the elements also and your right about the fry effect in the direct sunlight plus its just good on the equipment to shield them from the elements.

I have been in the market for some used equipment and its sad to see a two to three year old piece of equipment with everything rotting off of it due to owner neglect from it being left out in the elements.

I'm going to take a thrashing over this but I wax my mowers once or twice a year and it really makes a difference in their appearance and cleanup.

See in my view of taking care of your equipment its like taking care of your family because the equipment makes money for you and your family.

All my equipment is old but I do take care of it.

Thanks for the pics and ideas.

Big M LawnnSnow
06-14-2007, 05:14 AM
Very Nice, You are a skilled craftsman and should be very proud of this trailer.