PDA

View Full Version : Please Help

YukonG
06-02-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm stumped.

I used my Stihl FS55 trimmer 2 days ago. It ran fine. I've never had a problem out of it. I get to an account today and it won't do anything. It has fire; it has gas. But it acts like the switch is off. It won't attempt to do anything. I work on it for an hour, then put it away and use another trimmer to do this account.

When I'm finished, I grab my Stihl BG55 blower. It starts and runs like normal. I blow off the front (maybe running 5 minutes). I turn it off, put it in my truck, and drive around to the back of the property. I pick it up, and nothing. It has fire; it has gas. But it acts like the switch is off. It won't attempt to do anything either.

In the morning I'm going to dump all the gas out of the can and machines. I will go get fresh gas and oil. And I will try again. I don't know what else to do. The gas is not old. I just bought it about a week ago. But I just don't know.

Any suggestions???:confused:

jkingrph
06-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Had one with similar problems. It seemed the screws holding the Carb on had vibrated loose and it was also sucking too much air. I took them out,cleaned threads, added locktite and reinstalled and it runs better than it has in several years ( homeowner use) so problem may have been slow coming on.

spazfam
06-03-2007, 08:27 AM
How warm was it? I had that problem all day Thurs with several pcs of equipment it was 91 here and since then some of the equip has returned to normal... I dont know vapor locked? Got me baffled.

Sandgropher
06-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Try loosening the cap , then try and start it again, it usually does the trick.

YukonG
06-03-2007, 04:10 PM
I was about 85 degrees. But this morning it was 65 degrees; and I'm still stuck.
I put fresh gas/oil in them today.
The carb screws are tight.
I removed the breather and muffler.
But they won't do anything. The new spark plug is getting good fire. And I even tried some starting fluid to see if they would fire. Nothing. I also tried widening the gap on the plug a little. Nothing.

I just can't imagine how a fine running engine can just completely quit. And what really has me confused is that they both have good fire and gas. I guess I need a good 16lb. sledge to take care of these!!!

YukonG
06-03-2007, 05:08 PM
I finally was able to get in touch with a small engine expert I know. He said they were flooded really bad. He said when that happens, the piston looses it's seal and it can't get any compression. And it also looses vacuum in the crankcase.

Here's the fix; and it worked!!!
Pour about 1 teaspoon of motor oil down through the spark plug hole. Place your thumb over the opening as tightly as you can while cranking the engine. Crank it a good 4 or 5 times like this. Replace the spark plug, and start it up. The trimmer started right up. I had to crank the blower a few times; but it started also.

Now I'm really puzzled at how my trimmer flooded while sitting in the garage for a couple days. And my blower flooded during a 3 minute ride in my truck. Oh well. They are running now.

YukonG
06-03-2007, 05:11 PM
I think it's time for me to get a commercial trimmer, edger, and blower. And these Stihl machines can be my backup. I have always bought Stihl; but now I'm going to take a good look at Echo also.

EMTDUCK1984
06-03-2007, 10:36 PM
if there is trash in the carb it can hold the needle open which can cause them to flood. i reccommmend to start them with the throttle open and choke for no more than 4 pulls at most then try without choke. depending on how old the units are they may need a carb kit

P&C Lawn Care
06-07-2007, 12:41 AM
Hey Yukon buddy don't forget to look at Shindaiwa and Redmax. I personally like the Shins.

YukonG
06-07-2007, 07:52 AM
I sure will P&C. What dealer do you prefer to buy Shindaiwa and Redmax from?
Thanks.

P&C Lawn Care
06-10-2007, 05:29 PM
I usually get my Shin stuff from Profesional Power on S May and (I don't own Redmax but have heard good things about them) I looked at Redmax over at Central Power Equipment on N MacArther, Professional power has a sweet Shin T260 trimmer. It is like the old T230's and has no emission crap on it. I think I got it for $305, a bit more than the $265 I paid for the T231 but it has more power and same weight.