PDA

View Full Version : dog fencing installed? Kicker to run remote mower

meets1
06-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Guy calls today asking if I can or would install this underground wire? I ask for what and he says like a dog fence so dogs can't leave the yard. I say sure - I'll take a look. He says well its not for a dog but the same type of wire? Ok - where is this going??? He then tells me how he spent $2300 on a remote controled lawn mower that mows within the confines of the yard where this "dog fencing" is placed.

Anyone ever seen this or done this b/f? If so what do you charge for sucha service and what is the best way to install this wire? I think use my side alk edger to make the slit but how do you install the wire without lossing the slit made by the edger - have someone follow right behind??

gavin478
06-03-2007, 11:36 AM
I did this on my own property, but for a dog fence not the mower. I simply took my sidewalk edger, and ran it backwards to dig the trench. Make sure you have a big beefy 3-4hp one, not a little trimmer attachment. Then I simply dropped the wire in and covered it with topsoil. It was very easy, except going across sidewalks and all.

BUT, for a robomower, you're also supposed to run the wire around all the beds/obstacles, unless they have sufficient edging to trip the mowers bumpers. This could be a real hassle for you, but also some great $$. good luck

meets1
06-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Any idea of price though? I assume I should charge / ft?

gavin478
06-03-2007, 11:38 PM
I really have no idea. It took me about 3-4 hours to go around only the edge of my 1/3 acre lot. So factor in that, plus whatever additional time you need to go around obstacles, and the cost and time of putting topsoil and seed on top of the line. As a very rough estimate 1/3 acre =~500 ft perimeter, time. .say $60/hr, and cost of topsoil and seed of $100.

Labor 3-4 hrs install - $240
Topsoil and seed - $100
Labor to install topsoil and seed $60
And then the edger and a couple of blades you go through - $60

$460 / 500ft approx $1/ft installed

Again, this is my rough estimate. It also took me longer because I had to go through maryland clay soil, and a good many rocks that held me up. I also had to run the line through a seal in my sidewalk, taking additional time.

Once again, this will vary based on the conditions you work in, the soil quality, and hilly slopes, and how long it takes you to be proficient at running that edger through the ground.

P.S., I used a McLane edger with a direct belt between the edger and blade, some smaller models use multiple, twisting belts, which could not be able to handle the additional strain of going through soil.

good luck, I hope this helps somehow

DiyDave
06-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Save your back: Use a turfco edgerrite edger with the 3" sod cutter attachment, or the edger blade that cuts a trench about the size of your thumb. What to charge? Hmmmm, I'd say about $2300.

d&rlawncare
06-04-2007, 08:54 PM
I would say you charge him an entire season of mowing. 28 weeks x $30 (just a guess) $840 then throw in a 10% prepay discount. $750.

BSDeality
06-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Funny story:
last year we were doing a pond install and the HO had one of those mowers. He had just had a dog fence company come out and install the wire for him and he came over and told me to "watch this bad boy". It started up and proceeded to slide down his hill uncontrollably. Evidently the engineers forgot to account that the world ain't flat and put slick wheels on it. He had some new spiked wheels overnighted to him and two days later he told me again to "watch this". We watched the machine zig-zag across the lawn twice then slip into a garden bed and cut the perimeter wire in half. I laughed pretty good and told him I still had plenty of job security in the mowing end of the business. He eventually broke down an bought a riding mower to do the hill, but he has the robot do a flat section in the back of the property.

meets1
06-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Interesting charges and stories. This guy thinks this is the new thing for the lawn care industry. Thing is he is also the Kubota dealer, Dixon dealer, bobcat dealer and he has an array of trailers. So maybe he'll try this thing on his yard and try to sell the units as well.