PDA

View Full Version : Working For Bigger Landscape Comapny For Education

DSLND
06-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Hey guys,

Well as many of you know, this Fall i will be heading into the best four years of my life. Yes entering High School as a FreshMan/Freshmeat. Went and signed up for summer school yesterday to get me accustomed to the school and extra credits for more enjoyable classes. I start Monday and am totally excited! But what ran through my mind is that i would really like to take landscape classes throughout my high school career and major in the horticulture division during college. Well there is a decent sized landscape company in my town (10+ trucks plus supply yard) where i get all of my materials for my home and others. I was thinking that instead of going out and trying to land all of these landscape jobs with minimal experience behind me, try to stay a more Maintenance business through High School and work part time at the landscaping company. I have begun developing relationships with the people down there and they seem to enjoy my company down there, being i love going down there and can ride my bike from my place there. I was thinking that if i could get a job mainly during the summer there working there, then it is like an education but getting paid. Even if minimum wage, i am still getting experience and education. I know that i will get the dirty work at first, but i think it would benefit me a lot. Now in my company, i would try to stay around 25 yards/week along with clean ups, mulch, hedge trimming and snow removal. But this could put me "a step-ahead" of the game and get me going so i can expand into the landscape/hardscape division once i'm in and or out of college. What do you think? -Mitch-

DSLND
06-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Bump.... -Mitch-

Palmer'sLS
06-03-2007, 03:31 PM
sounds like youve already made the decision :laugh:

gotta start somewhere, paid training would be nice

procut
06-03-2007, 04:30 PM
High school "best four years of life" puh-leeeeeze.

In all seriousness though, I think it would be bennificial to work for someone else, like palmer sadi, view it as paid training.

DSLND
06-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Basically paid training. Exactly! Even if it is minimum wage, i will most likely just put that money into my college fund along with the couple hundred i put in there monthly from my own business. Then just use the income from my business for college, gas, equipment, and entertainment. Oh and can't forget to build my account for expansion later.:weightlifter: -Mitch-

DSLND
06-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Lets put this one back at the top! -Mitch-:usflag:

KS_Grasscutter
06-19-2007, 07:29 PM
I WAS gonna work for another LCO this summer (not necessilary for education though, as I am pretty educated already on mowing and trimming lol) but that kinda fell through after the first week, so I have just focused on getting more lawns and messing around with some friends. I am thinking of working for some differnet LCOs or landscape companys...but...at this point I like sleeping till 9 every day and not having anything that I HAVE to do that day (except most fridays I am mowing at 7, do all 15 or so on friday usually).

fiveoboy01
06-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Really, that is a great idea. You get paid, and learn at the same time, and when you exit high school you'll have a great base of knowledge to enter horticulture at whichever university you choose.

I think it's a great idea, just don't let your job interfere with your education.

AintNoFun
06-19-2007, 08:26 PM
i have a buddy that had his own business but couldn't make it.. he went to work for brickman as an asst manager or something along those lines.. he said if he worked for brickman first and used all of their systems and practices it would have made his business a lot more succesful...

PerfectEarth
06-19-2007, 08:33 PM
It is a great idea. Everything I learned was on the job- better than any classroom would have ever done.

DSLND
06-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks Guys! Personally, i think it is a good idea. I think i will shoot for 30 weekly mowing accounts, along with alot of maintenance, clean ups, and smaller landscape installs. I will plan to work only during summer, three days a week. That way the other three days, i can do my business and then have Sunday off. Then during the school year, just stick to my company, working five to six days per week and always keeping Sunday off. Thanks! -Mitch-

Tvov
06-19-2007, 11:03 PM
You're only going to work 3 days a week for this other company? Is this normal for their employees? It is possible that they'll say no to you. But if it works, it works!

RedMax Man
06-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Go for it Mitch, learning aint gonna do any damage.

DBL
06-20-2007, 08:23 PM
you will definetly learn a lot however you may not seem like competition to them but you are someone trying to do the same thing as they are so there may be some friction and tension....forget summer school its summer youre young have fun and this is our prime time of the year make some money dont worry about school

DSLND
07-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Well, i plan on trying to work there three-four days per week, only during summer, so i can do all of my maintenance work after school during school year and have weekends off and then during summer do all of my maintenance in 2-3 days. Was just down there today, they were telling me they've stopped most advertising besides vehicle lettering due to work load. I'm excited to get to learn a lot! -Mitch-

W.L.S.27
07-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Mitch we gotta talk...lol Your first post in this thread sounds like my business planning. You're thinking a lot like I am. I made the decision to go and work for another large LCO as well and operate my own company and its working out great. This is my second year doing it.