PDA

View Full Version : complete reference texts

MNmasterEXTERMINATOR
06-02-2007, 11:24 PM
I am looking for some good field guides to look up weeds on the job. If anyone is familiar with "NPMA filed guide for structural pests", I am looking for something like this, but for turf pests and weeds. It has pictures and advice etc. I live in minnesota, so a book about northern climates would be helpful.
Thanks, Rick

Ric
06-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Master

"Weeds of Southern Turfgrasses" is what I use and I have seen somewhere a Cool season Turf version of this book.

Prolawnservice
06-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Weeds of the Northeast

http://www.amazon.com/Weeds-Northeast-Comstock-Books-Richard/dp/0801483344/

I think this is the northern version of the book Ric recommended. Very good book.

DUSTYCEDAR
06-03-2007, 09:07 AM
great link thanks

Ric
06-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Weeds of the Northeast

http://www.amazon.com/Weeds-Northeast-Comstock-Books-Richard/dp/0801483344/

I think this is the northern version of the book Ric recommended. Very good book.

Pro

Thanks

Yes that is the Book I was thinking of. Years ago Larry Stone send me an Outline from a Penna State U Seminar about Weed control with that book listed. I used that outline as a template to teach CEU on southern Weeds, when I was still teaching CEU classes.

Master Killer

Weed control is a combination of both cultural practices along with Chemical practices to achieve Best Management practices of a health turf. A health turf is the best weed preventive and takes time and experience to achieve.

The best way to learn Weed names is to first treat turf with your standard herbicide and then watch to see which weeds die slowly or not at all. Those weeds not controlled by your standard treatment are the weed names you learn first.

You have stated before that you are an experienced Structural guy and are relatively new to L&O. Just like ID was the most important learning curve in Structural Pest Control, you know ID is the Learning curve that is most important in L&O. Once you know the name you can Google any facts you need to know about that Species.

Two things that mark a persons knowledge and experience in any industry is Their use of Industry Terminology and their ability to ID certain things. In our Industry it is both Plants and their problems that we must learn to ID. I see guys who have been in this industry a lot longer than I and still can't ID or have no knowledge of Industry Terminology. They think because they have been sloths working in the industry for 30 years they are experts. This goes back to my Knocking of those Lawn boys who know every part number on their mower and not the name of the grass they cut.

BTW I have found the best way to learn Plant Names is by visiting Big Box Stores or Nurseries where the Plants names are on a sign in front of them. A 1/2 hour each day spend looking at the actual plant and it's name can be made into a game you play and a fun way to learn. I still do this occasionally because there are new Species all the time.

MNmasterEXTERMINATOR
06-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks Ric, I appreciate the advice. The first couple years I was doing T/O I just sprayed Trimec 992 and liquid fert. I knew it killed dandelions and other things. Now I am faced with customers who want fescues, quacks, and other things controlled. I am learning boatloads of stuff from all of you on here. I always thought lawn service was a job a monkey could do. I am now realizing it is more brain work then it is to control home insect problems.

Plant Buyer 83
06-03-2007, 11:35 AM
I own a copy of weeds of the Northeast, GREAT book. Highly recommend it.

Matt