PDA

View Full Version : (Scag) kawasaki Fc420v swap???

flattoplawncare
06-03-2007, 01:13 AM
:usflag: Hello I have a Scag sw48ka belt drive walk-behind i think it is a mid 90's and i am wanting to upgrade the engine right now it is a recoil start (actually i rap a rope around where the recoil used to go) but anyways i want to know what engine i can just unbolt/bolt on. The blades are manually engaged and there is nothing electric on it. I want a 17 hp or maybe even another 14hp recoil start. what engine's do you know of that i could just swap out? any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.:usflag:

khouse
06-04-2007, 02:01 AM
Have all your engines numbers ready and call this company.
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/

ctyyoung
03-11-2008, 07:51 PM
I ran the exact same engine on my Scag hydrostatic drive out of oil and should receive a Kohler 15 hp Command engine in the next day or two. Tulsa Engine Warehouse or any similar engine supplier will supply you with the correct engine or, in your case, an upgrade.

As you may know, the Kawasaki engine that you have is no longer available. That's okay, I wasn't too impressed with the FC420V to begin with. Mowing with 48 inchs of swath out front the little Kawasaki loaded up at times. Kohler offers an 18 hp Command series engine that may or may not fit. It might seem like I'm pushing Kohler but that's not the case. Kawasaki makes a fine engine as does Honda, Onan, and a few other small engine manufacturers. You should be able to find an equivalent or upgrade from any of the engine makers.

The actual wrench work is easy. I pulled my old engine in ten minutes and a half a beer. I anticipate the install will take 30 minutes. Next time you walk into your local Scag dealer thank the Almighty for making a stinky mower that works and you can work on!