PDA

View Full Version : how much would you charge for this job!

cupzandamug
06-03-2007, 11:19 AM
quick question guys.......

i was on my way home on friday when a lady blowing her driveway with an electric blower flagged me down and said she had 15 acres she needed cut ASAP. i cut residential and although this is still residential its a bit bigger than my usual yardsanyway is wide-open field, not alot of obsticles. i was thinking around 75-100 per acre, not trying to under-bid the job, so if im in the right neighborhood, could you give me a shout! probably call him back on monday.i think they said the property was used for functions.

topsites
06-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Well no, always with grass cutting, the bigger the area, the lower the cost per square foot. It still costs more in the end to cut a large area than a smaller one, but it's not exponentially so. For example, I get $35 for a 1/4 acre, but $45 for 1/2 acre and only $55 for a full acre, and it keeps coming down.

For 10-15 acres I would normally price it closer to $25 an acre but you really need a WAM to deal with it, unfortunately with my machine it would take longer, but not forever, still it's closer to $30 / acre and I have other caps...

Truthfully, this one might be easier to charge by the day, if it's really 10 or 15 acres then it's going to take 6 - 8 hours minimum, likely closer to 10 or 12, assuming the grass isn't a foot tall or whatever other nonsense (and idk why but I just get that feeling)...

So, how BIG is this area?
Can I look it up?
What about the grass, how TALL is it?
Far as obstacles, there's no telling until I get into it what I will find, spare me please.

Well, I have to know, otherwise it's by the hour, I can cut around 2 acres / hour and on a solid 6-8+ hour deal I can do it for 3-400 but likely it will take all day, so $400 for starters and I'll get going at 8am and work until dark if I have to for that kind of money, BUT if it takes me into a 2nd day then it will be more... I can, with the headlights, work through darkness as well, but past 8-10 hours the price goes up from $400, that's my daily cap is $400 / day but once it gets dark the clock keeps ticking at around $45 / hour.

Dunno what else to say, without seeing the actual turf, and I have to know the acreage, and I mean I want to see it in some legit black and white form, enough of the guessing here, give me the area and give it to me straight or the price just doubled.

In conclusion, charge a fair price but don't leave yourself open, if this is all the information you can glean then you will need an escape clause, some kind of agreement where if it's not really 10-15 acres OR if it's all of 15 acres and spots of it are just unreal then you also get paid more, that type of thing. Heck I'll spring for a set of blades so long they're not ruined, but a ruined blade will run $15 each, and a flat tire's going to cost $5, per flat, lol.

Grits
06-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Depends, probably in the $600 neighborhood.

cupzandamug
06-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Depends, probably in the $600 neighborhood.

so about 40 dollars an acre?

anybody in the maryland area?

AllProLC
06-03-2007, 10:35 PM
I would charge $35 per acre if 15 acres. If 10 or less $40.

cupzandamug
06-03-2007, 10:41 PM
I would charge $35 per acre if 15 acres. If 10 or less $40.

how much is a gallon of gas,today, june,3rd 2007, just curious? in indiana

Grits
06-03-2007, 10:46 PM
so about 40 dollars an acre?

This is where the "it depends" part comes in. Depending on the terrain, obstacles, etc. But around $40 per acre is a starting point. Maybe $35, like someone else suggested.....it really just depends. But somewhere in this neighborhood would be good.

cupzandamug
06-03-2007, 10:53 PM
This is where the "it depends" part comes in. Depending on the terrain, obstacles, etc. But around $40 per acre is a starting point. Maybe $35, like someone else suggested.....it really just depends. But somewhere in this neighborhood would be good.

o.k. gas is about 3.19 to about 3.25 a gallon,so im wondering is your price per acre 35-40 dollars because you are paying, oh lets say........2 dollars and some change? or is that the going rate w/ your gas price being simular to my area?:weightlifter:

Grits
06-03-2007, 11:00 PM
I haven't changed my prices yet because of the gas prices. But my gas prices are similar to yours.
The gas price inflation is just a very small part in your cost of doing business. Are you licensed and paying taxes and insurance?

AllProLC
06-04-2007, 12:39 AM
Regular gas in Indy is anywhere from $3.29 to $3.50 depending on what side of town you are buying on. As mentioned in previous post by someone else...gas price is only one part of your bidding on this property. What are your daily costs, insurance, taxes, etc...

maxkicker
06-04-2007, 12:53 AM
quick question guys.......

i was on my way home on friday when a lady blowing her driveway with an electric blower flagged me down and said she had 15 acres she needed cut ASAP. i cut residential and although this is still residential its a bit bigger than my usual yardsanyway is wide-open field, not alot of obsticles. i was thinking around 75-100 per acre, not trying to under-bid the job, so if im in the right neighborhood, could you give me a shout! probably call him back on monday.i think they said the property was used for functions.

i would be between 700-1000 it really depends what the property ends up looking like

how big are your mowers and how many people do you have? just currious

btw from maryland

cupzandamug
06-04-2007, 12:42 PM
I haven't changed my prices yet because of the gas prices. But my gas prices are similar to yours.
The gas price inflation is just a very small part in your cost of doing business. Are you licensed and paying taxes and insurance?

yes,check, and yes

cupzandamug
06-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Regular gas in Indy is anywhere from $3.29 to $3.50 depending on what side of town you are buying on. As mentioned in previous post by someone else...gas price is only one part of your bidding on this property. What are your daily costs, insurance, taxes, etc...

insurance was fairly cheap, about 500$,but this is my first season with it and paying taxes and all. also this would be my biggest account

cupzandamug
06-04-2007, 12:51 PM
i would be between 700-1000 it really depends what the property ends up looking like

how big are your mowers and how many people do you have? just currious

btw from maryland

ahhhhhhhhhhhh. thank you, my MARYLAND neighbor(not really but wth)i have a 36 wb, a 42 riding mower, and about three pushers. 2 experienced helpers and 2 fly by day helpers(the two helpers work 4 other lawn services but will help their friend out) the labor wouldn't be a problem.

cupzandamug
06-04-2007, 01:06 PM
just gave the estimate ($975=$65 dollars an acre)the reply was to just cut the back field, (4-5 acres)were the fuctions r going to be held. gave the same price 65 an acre, one catch the grass is 2 feet tall>:cool2:

GSPHUNTER
06-04-2007, 01:10 PM
15 acres w/ that equipment is out of reach. That will seriously take some major time.

cupzandamug
06-04-2007, 01:39 PM
15 acres w/ that equipment is out of reach. That will seriously take some major time.

well the job just refuced itsself to 4-5 acres. and even still i was up for it,heck, just would have took some time!:weightlifter:

clcare2
06-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Your going to have to cut that like 4 times. 65$ isn't enough.

This is going to take all day to get into presentable shape.

mkroher
06-04-2007, 04:43 PM
just burn it.