PDA

View Full Version : Bench grinding wheel problem...

topsites
06-03-2007, 12:58 PM
My RBG blade sharpener wheel is out of round and is wobbling, very annoying.

While holding the blade against it real nice and easy has helped, isn't there something they sell to true these grinding wheels?

On another note, do they sell adapters for 7/8" dia.hole wheels > 1.25" dia.holes?

jkingrph
06-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Yes, you can get either diamond tipped or "star wheel" grinding wheel dressers which will true up an out of round wheel, either creates a lot of dust. Check a good hardware store.

As for your other question the only way to go fron 7/8" to a 1.25" would be to drill or ream the esisting hole to the larger size. I have seen bushings, sets of bushings to go from a larger to a smaller size though, but do not know about that size range.

topsites
06-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Yes, I understand now, concerning the bushings... Specifically, the reason I was asking is they want $80 - $100 for the 12" grinding wheel replacement, and I've seen regular 12" grinding wheels in the 50-60 grit range sell for $60'ish, but the hole diameter is way off, mine is the 7/8's...

Now I'm off to find the dressing thing, that's what I was looking for, thanks!

Let-it-mow!
06-03-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm assuming you want to adapt a large hole to a smaller shaft and not the other way around.

If so, you need what are called "motor shaft bushings". They're available for all regular trade sizes and are available to work with keyed pulleys or set screws, get the type that work with a set screws.

Any industrial supplier will carry them. If you don't know a local one, you can find what you need at McMaster Carr on line. Google it and you can search the whole catalog and order with credit card.

They'll sell grinding wheel dressers too.

DiyDave
06-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Make sure you get metal bushings. The cheap grinding wheels come with plastic adapter bushings that are about 1/2 as wide as the wheel is, and rattle to the outboard side of the wheel, allowing the wheel to wobble. Metal bushings aren't very expensive, and are available from Enco or MSC.

jkingrph
06-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Make sure you get metal bushings. The cheap grinding wheels come with plastic adapter bushings that are about 1/2 as wide as the wheel is, and rattle to the outboard side of the wheel, allowing the wheel to wobble. Metal bushings aren't very expensive, and are available from Enco or MSC.

I have used the fiber( cardboard) or plastic bushings for years with no problems. They have always been the full width of the wheel.