PDA

View Full Version : How to clean this?

djmn
06-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Now that raised fire pits are becoming more popular, how do you clean soot off of block like this?

KGR landscapeing
06-03-2007, 01:29 PM
did u try a pressure washer and some simple green or clr

forestfireguy
06-03-2007, 01:52 PM
If the powerwasher thing fails, and I think it will. I have tried it b4 on a similar issue, you could try TSP which you can buy at home cheapo it's power and is water activated. It works pretty well on all kinds of concrete stains, also muriatic acid is effective in removing stains from concrete though I have never use it on a coloredblock/paver. If forced to try acid test it on a scrap that I'm sure you have laying around. Be sure it's completely dry before you make a final judgement as to whether or not it is safe.

Good Luck,
ED

Grn Mtn
06-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Ditto on the TSP.

ChampionLS
06-03-2007, 05:41 PM
That wall should be lined with firebrick. If the blocks are glued together, the glue will fail over time from the heat. I wouldn't worry too much about the soot- its a real working fire pit... what did you expect?

I would try oven cleaner, or whitewall tire cleaner, but test it out on a small area first.

forestfireguy
06-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Sorry I meant it's powder.....Not power, fingers are faster than the brain sometimes.......

zedosix
06-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Remove the caps and put new ones

poolboy
06-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Maybe you can find someone that uses a media blasting unit. The ones they use to remove graffiti. We use a system called MaxxStrip to remove calcium and minerals from everything from pool tile to stone. The media is just a little different.

palmtree
06-04-2007, 06:59 PM
It is a fire pit. It would just look like an unfinished planter if it weren't blackened. I wouldn't try to clean it unless you aren't finished with the job and someone on the crew decided to burn trash in it or something. It should be up to the owner to make the first black marks.

forestfireguy
06-04-2007, 08:48 PM
I like poolboys idea, Hey Poolboy would blasting affect the taumbled finish of the block? Maybe smoothing it out? I haven't seen what you refer to but it sounds intersting. Does in remove efflouresence staining?

CT18fireman
06-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Something makes me think it is a demonstration or model at a dealer. If you look in the picture, I see pallets up behind the truck. Also there is varied other landscaping that looks out of place as if they are other vignettes.

Maybe he wants to clean it up because it is a model?

I would just leave it though and put some nice logs in it for show if that is the case.

poolboy
06-05-2007, 05:47 PM
I like poolboys idea, Hey Poolboy would blasting affect the taumbled finish of the block? Maybe smoothing it out? I haven't seen what you refer to but it sounds intersting. Does in remove efflouresence staining?

Not sure put here is the company where we bought the system from.........

http://www.universalminerals.com/soda-blast-maxxstrip.shtml

poolboy
06-05-2007, 05:50 PM
We've never had a problem with it damaging the stone or tile. That was the selling point for me.. Some use glass beads with air pressure, but you can really screw things up if you don't know what you're doing.