PDA

View Full Version : Supply Yarrds.......

forestfireguy
06-03-2007, 01:08 PM
We have been dealing with the same yard for years. We also vary a bit from year to year in the amount of hardscape material we buy from them. Some years we have stock we use up, other years we buy some direct from Manufacturers for large jobs thereby affecting what we buy from the local guy. For any job over 6/7 cubes we price shop. Our local supplier gives their discount based on the previous years purchases. And they vary widely from one product to another, some items are 20 off list others are 5, It's a PITA to figure out sometimes, then there is delivery for orders over 5 cubes(the amount we can haul on our large trailer in one trip). Which isn't bad on orders the block truck can handle but if we need the moffit because we aren't onsite before the delivery it's a bit expensive. Bottom line we are looking for more supply sources, what do you guys expect in a supply yard. What discount do you expect opposed to harry the homeowner. I ask because I know for a fact my local guy who we have used for about 10-15 years is giving out better discounts to smaller operations just to get their business, in effect stealing it away from other yards. This has me a little pissed off, you do business with someone for so long and I expect to see the best discount he can provide me. Just seems kinda crappy to me that he is giving better discounts to guys who spend less than half what we do. I'm venting a bit,,,,,Sorry. Unfortunately we are not in a position to walk away from the completely, as they really are like one stop shopping and ussually have what we need when we need it. So anyway what do you think.

Ps- mistakingly put this in as a reply to another post.

Attitude is everything

mrusk
06-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Ed

It sounds like you are trying to bid jobs as tight as possible.

I deal with one supplier almost exclusively for block and pavers. I will not price shop. I deal with them because they give me EXCELLENT customer service. When i need something in a pinch, they come through for me.