PDA

View Full Version : Here's some pic's

paul jr
06-03-2007, 05:01 PM
I don't know how to link them to my other post but her they are, just take it easy on me:hammerhead: I know you guys are the best and I'm just a guy who likes to do a little hands on work in the yard. So if you can read my other post and maybe give me some advice it would be helpful. I'm going to put in the limestone steps this week and the pavers I'm not sure what to use and layout style. For a brand i have a choice of belgard,unilock and techo-block pavers in my area for sale. Other brands too but those seem like a good choice to go thru. I was thinking a circle pack at the front of the porch then a 5ft walkway following the curve of the wall to the driveway steps. I just don't know, what color or layout style would look the best i figured you guys can help me out. THANKS

ChampionLS
06-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Nice Job!
Make sure you bring some topsoil in and fill up to that base course. I see hollow spaces showing, and it won't be long before things start to collapse.

paul jr
06-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the comment, but where do you see a hollow spot any place on the wall there are at least 1 or 2 blocks bellow grade. It might be my pictures i went out this morning and took some quick ones, not that great but i was trying to get some input. Thanks

tthomass
06-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Now sell them on a landscape.

paul jr
06-03-2007, 06:05 PM
You mean, sell me on landscape cause its my house and ill have to go into the other section for landscape tips thats coming next.

cgland
06-03-2007, 06:22 PM
That pillar is really bad. Other than that, I would split the caps and end blocks.

Chris

paul jr
06-03-2007, 06:31 PM
chris why is it really bad, just so you know its not all glued yet i need to brake it down and glue it. I was just trying to see what height i wanted. But if you see something else please tell. If you can read my other post i was looking for some advice and i have seen your pic's of work and its really nice so if you can help i really appreciated and just so you know this is the first time i ever done block work. Thanks

forestfireguy
06-03-2007, 07:14 PM
All and all it looks pretty good especially for someone not in the business. I'd also split the caps and ends and they make special block for pillars, which are larger,the idea is for them to look substatial, that said I've seen worse from guys who claim to be professional. One last thing, did you take into account final grade at the base of the steps, it looks like an awfully high step right now.

cgland
06-03-2007, 07:15 PM
It's bad because it's out of plumb. I'm sure you can fix it when you glue it. Looks pretty good for a first time effort.

chris

paul jr
06-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the comment's guys, I'm aware of that base just not sure what i want to do with some pavers or something most likely be the last thing i do. Any advice would be highly appreciated and i will plumb the column when i glue it. I know you guys do it right the first time i just wasn't sure how high to go with it and the cap not sure what to do yet.

paul jr
06-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Trying to get all pic's on one post:waving:

forestfireguy
06-03-2007, 08:45 PM
I'd go ith a one piece cap for the pedestal, something that overhangs a couple/ few inches all around the thing. How much of a difference is there in the grade between the driveway and the step? From the picture it looks like there could almost be another step in there, but it could be the camera. If it's not too steep you can add pavers to that area, I'd flare it out as wide as the radius of the wall. Also we like to saw cut the asphalt back to at least where the angle on the side comes from the top. One last thought, if the rise between the pavement and the step is too much you'll end up with a ice hazaed come winter time. Glad answer whatever you need help with.

paul jr
06-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks forest, i'm looking into a one piece i like the look of it for the pillar. I just don't know yet the type i want from the ones i looked at and i will keep that info in mind when i do the step into the driveway. The thing i was looking for was some help on the pavers from the porch to the driveway steps. Like style,layout and color that would look the best any info would be nice.

forestfireguy
06-04-2007, 12:30 AM
Paul,
Take a photo from the R/S of the house towards the drivewayor from the steps to the porch, actually do both. Post them when you can it will be helpful in suggesting ideas. If you can give an idea about elevation differences that would be good also, ideally the top of your tread would be the same height as your landing off the porch. From what I see it looks like it's pretty close.

sheshovel
06-04-2007, 04:20 AM
Tell me that the skirting under your porch is cement siding? If it is wood, I strongly suggest you get all that soil away from that porch and install a moisture barrier in between it and the wood along the bottom of the porch where your beds are. Reason #1- Termites love situations like that
Reason #2- Wood rot from wet soil against wood.

ChampionLS
06-05-2007, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the comment, but where do you see a hollow spot any place on the wall there are at least 1 or 2 blocks bellow grade. It might be my pictures i went out this morning and took some quick ones, not that great but i was trying to get some input. Thanks

It could be just the loss of detail in the photos.. I thought I saw some blue base stone showing at ground level. (a washout waiting to happen) Otherwise, everything looks good.