PDA

View Full Version : Boulders

tthomass
06-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Who's a good source of boulders? I'm using them more and more.....example being retaining walls with a more true "boulder" and steps with the thinner.

Nurseries are all over the place......$250-$450 each. I need a good source for getting them cheaper.

Thanks!

cgland
06-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Look at builder sites. They have to pay to get rid of them, so they will gladly let you have them. That's where we get 90% of all our boulders.

Chris

forestfireguy
06-03-2007, 06:19 PM
If you want to come to Jersey I have several tandem loads for sale cheap. Trucking would kill you though so I was kinda joking.

forestfireguy
06-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Maybe you and Chris could split the trucking.......just kidding. I'll sell you tandem/triaxle load for 750, sizes between 36 and about 56 inches, some round , some irregular, some flat(kinda). You pay the freight.

mrusk
06-03-2007, 10:01 PM
You want boulders?!??!?! I have a HUGE pile on my job site right now. I am working in a subdivsion where every lot had to be blasted. After we excavated two hundred yards of dirt for the walls, we just kept starting through the pile pulling out the good dirt for the backfill of the reinforced area of the SRW.

I am actually trucking them accross town to a job i am going to do in a couple weeks.

In my area, it is no proablem getting boulders. Here you have to pay people to take them off your hands. If i tried to sell them for 450 a peice, id get laughed at.

DVS Hardscaper
06-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Boulders are plentiful.......if you know where to look.

Yet - they are expensive to haul. They typically are hauled in a tandem or tri axle dump truck. Most people will only haul them with a steel body, as they'll tear up an aluminum body. The hauling / freight will eat you up.

If you come across nice boulders and stone - then gobble it up.

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/walls/Andrew's%20dream/boulder-wall-1-lg.jpg

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/walls/Andrew's%20dream/boulder-wall-snow2-lg.jpg

cedarcroft
06-04-2007, 05:52 AM
we buy from a guy in NJ who brings us a load every week or 2. that is for nice Moss Rock. here on LI we have "native" boulders that are sandy colored and smooth. these are cheaper and we use them sometimes. the point is that native boulders are cheaper and you can usually get them from an excavating company or builder as mentioned above. I would call evry excavator in the book and see what they can do for you.

ChampionLS
06-05-2007, 01:29 AM
Look up Hard Hat News. It's a tabloid size construction newspaper. They ALWAYS have people looking to get rid of Fill, Topsoil, Boulders, Rip Rap, Sand. etc etc etc.