PDA

View Full Version : duramax deisels

gmcplowtruck
06-03-2007, 10:51 PM
i currently have a 2006 gmc 6.0 gas dump truck and i get 7 mpg im thinking of tradeing it in or saleing it for a duramax what do you think
whats the goods and bads what kind of mpg would i expect stock and just to say it will be a a GM vehicle that i stick with thanks

fool32696
06-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Next time go diesel but its probably not worth trading in an 06 gasser on a diesel. You're gonna take a major hit on your almost new truck and then take it again when you buy a more expensive diesel. You'd prob only get 12-13 with the diesel. That said, I do love my duramax.

Albemarle Lawn
06-03-2007, 11:25 PM
My truck also gets 7 MPG, but it weighs 34,000 unloaded, and 66,000 fully loaded!:weightlifter:

tnmtn
06-04-2007, 12:40 AM
with my duramax i get between 12 and 14mpg towing 12,000-14,000#. empty i get between 16 and 20 depending on the how or where i'm driving. i also live in a mountainous area. good luck and you will love the duramax/allison combo.

IA_James
06-04-2007, 01:10 AM
No matter what you trade in on, you're going to get beat up on that new a truck. But the LBZ Duramax trucks are bad azz.:weightlifter:

grassmanak
06-04-2007, 11:07 AM
you are definetly going to take a hit trading up, but it worth it, ive had a 5.3/8.1/6.0 and am ready for the diesel now. Im looking for a low milage 04, seems like this is my best bet for 20+ mpg. The newer ones are getting great fuel economy with all the emissions bull

JD657757
06-04-2007, 12:08 PM
I just did the same thing, well kind of. I traded in a 2006 2500 HD for a 2008 F350 with the 6.4. So far it seemed to be worth it.

mini14
06-04-2007, 07:47 PM
the typical break even point for going with the added cost of diesels is 3-4 years,with your dilema i think u have added another 1.5-2 to the equation..if u r going to keep the new diesel for 5-7 years then takeing a hit now will pay off much later on, and will allways continue to payoff as long as repairs are non exhistent. I dont know if u know, but the repair bills on those durajunkers are astronomical..yeah i know 5 year warrenty, but for that sucker to payoff u have to keep it long after the warrenty has expired.

grassmanak
06-04-2007, 10:39 PM
the break even point in this business is no where near 3-4 years. WTF where did you go to school at. And duramax engines have less problems than any others on the market. Maybe injectors on your LB7's (which are warrentied till 200K now. GM is great about warrenty issues unlike some others, cough cough.

Breakdown prices
2007-Crew Cab 2500HD with duramax engine. 35,599
2007-Crew Cab 2500HD with 6.0Lt engine, 32,670
Difference- Roughly 3K.
Diesel Price 2.79 per gallon.
gas price-3.01per gallon
difference 22 cents per gallon. about 6 bucks a tank.

MPG
Gas- 10mpg
Diesel-15mpg
difference 5mpg.

So average of 12k miles a year.
12,000/15mpg=800x2.79per gallon=2232.00 a year for diesel.
12000/10=1200x3.01per gallon=3612 a year for gas.

Now this is just a simple version here overall. In a little over 2 years you would break even, not to mention the resale value is higher. Here in nebraska this would only take a little over a year to break even with diesel being 60+cents cheap a gallon. Not to mention with a little modding people are seeing mid to high 20's in their diesels fuel economy.

OhioMowerGuy
06-05-2007, 07:37 PM
I just bought a 07 duramax dump w/ the 6 spd auto. Its doing pretty good on fuel. I havent calculated it out yet. Its a badass truck.

mini14
06-07-2007, 08:46 PM
grassmanak, i got 2 diesel trucks, i think i know what im talking about, and it is only now that diesel is less then gas. for the Majority of the year diesel is more expensive then gas, the cost to repair diesel engines if not doing it yourself is very high.a diesel truck will cost 6-7k more then a gasser.unless u r driving 4-500k miles per year like otr companies, diesels take a lot longer to pay themselves off.there are too many variables for u to make those calculations. just goto some of the chevy truck forums and see how many have been denied warrenty coverage and had to shell out big $$$ for new injectors.I have changed out my cummins injectors once under 2 hrs, and they cost me $300. 300 wont even buy u 1 durajunk injector. ever wonder why 30,000 gvw trucks only have 210hp yet a 2500 series has 325 and up ?Longevity. as far as your statement about durajunk haveing less probs then other trucks on the market, please quote your sources for that info cauz ill go out tomorrow and buy one if it is true.

TN Property Services
06-08-2007, 12:17 AM
Def get the DMAX. You will not regret it, and if you would like any other info or do any more research on the Mighty DMAX: Check out -- www.thedieselplace.com

tthomass
06-08-2007, 11:08 PM
'02 Intl 4300 gets 8.5mpg on average

gmcplowtruck
06-09-2007, 10:37 AM
thanks for all the info guys

terrapro
06-09-2007, 10:54 AM
grassmanak, i got 2 diesel trucks, i think i know what im talking about, and it is only now that diesel is less then gas. for the Majority of the year diesel is more expensive then gas, the cost to repair diesel engines if not doing it yourself is very high.a diesel truck will cost 6-7k more then a gasser.unless u r driving 4-500k miles per year like otr companies, diesels take a lot longer to pay themselves off.there are too many variables for u to make those calculations. just goto some of the chevy truck forums and see how many have been denied warrenty coverage and had to shell out big $$$ for new injectors.I have changed out my cummins injectors once under 2 hrs, and they cost me $300. 300 wont even buy u 1 durajunk injector. ever wonder why 30,000 gvw trucks only have 210hp yet a 2500 series has 325 and up ?Longevity. as far as your statement about durajunk haveing less probs then other trucks on the market, please quote your sources for that info cauz ill go out tomorrow and buy one if it is true.

id rather be biased than ignorant! lol......just joking

HP especially has nothing to do with actually working power in trucks. look at the TQ ratings if you want to compare numbers.

go with the diesel. whats a sleeve or a glow plug every once in a while?

mverick
06-09-2007, 11:09 AM

Duramax and cummins and powerstroke all good motors.

Allison is a good tranny.

Dodge had huge tranny problems till 2 years ago, powersteering pumps also. Ford had every problem other then the motor, ball joints on trucks that didn't tow going bad in 20,000. Chevy's first 2 years had some overheating problems on the duramax. After that, not many.

Sources? Me, I wouldn't own a dodge if it was free. Had to many problems with the tranny's. Love the Cummins though. Fords widows and gauges dying plus water pumps. Seen the 7.3 throw rods on a towing truck, not race. And the manual lunch itself. Chevy haven't had any really.

I also own a 97 gmc with 160,000 same tranny same motor. 1/2 ton towing 18,000 regularly. Had to put in a water pump and a radiator. But, that's because I hit a deer. 350 vortec. 5mpg. Ouch...

Chevy's warranty issues are mainly when you throw a new computer on it and bump to 600hp and 800ft/lb tq. Break the tranny or motor and want it covered under warranty. Yep, they ain't gonna do it.

watatrp
06-11-2007, 12:14 PM
mini14: I know all duramax engines are not the same. But I for one, am completely happy with mine. I have an 02 w/ 80k miles on it. I've had it into the dealership once for a bad block heater cord. If that isn't trouble free, then I don't know what is.

ksss
06-12-2007, 01:40 AM
I pull the guts out of my trucks and (knock on wood) have next to zero problems.

I have had an 01 -3500 4X4 D/A bought new traded at 90K= probably the best truck I have owned as far as mpg Vs power. One trip to dealer at 74K new computer extended warranty picked it up.

03-2500 CC D/A 4X4 bought with 20K on it in 03 sold with 80K zero problems.

05-5500 CC 4X4 D/A bought new in 04 two unscheduled trips to dealer wiring issue and injection pump reset switch or something.

06 3500 CC 4X4 D/A 14K on it and no trips to the dealer. LBZ is a pulling motor I just wish I got better MPG (13).

I have nothing but praise for these trucks. If you don't like em buy something else. Making up childish nicknames doesn't diminsih the fact the Duramax engine is world class. You may not like GM trucks but certainly you have to give this engine and powertrains its due. Currently no one can touch this combo for power or reliability. Perhaps the 6.4 and the 6.7 will do better but right now this is as good as it gets IMHO.:weightlifter:

TN Property Services
06-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Agree totally with KISS. MPG could be better, but if I was extremely worried about MPG, I would drive an 800lb. hybrid and not a 7000lb truck.
The D/A combo is a very reliable workhouse that has proven itself in longevity and reliability.

TXNSLighting
06-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Ford had every problem other then the motor, ball joints on trucks that didn't tow going bad in 20,000.

Fords widows and gauges dying plus water pumps. Seen the 7.3 throw rods on a towing truck, not race. And the manual lunch itself.

What??! Ford had every problem other than the motor??! Ford builds the BEST truck you can buy, now the engine...6.0...not too good. but the 7.3 was gold, and now the 6.4 i think is going to follow in the foot steps of the 7.3. you need to definately check your sources there...on the other hand i do agree the lbz duramax and allison is great. but 05 and down duramax sucked. i drove so many before i bought my ******, and not one of them could pull a 3000# trailer. O and yes this will be my last dodge. i like the engine, but good god. youd think by now they could build a decent truck! ha!