PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Timbers?

apowell18
06-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Hey fellas. Just a maintenance guy, but have a hardscape question for myself. I want to know the best way to secure multiple landscape timbers together? I will have about 3-4 high at the highest. I have a few ideas but just wanted to know what you experts do. Thanks for the input.

forestfireguy
06-04-2007, 12:26 AM
What will they be holding back? To do it right you should use "deadmen" just like with larger ties, that said, to keep them together drill through all of them drive precut rebard through. leave it a little(couple inches)long, so the rebard goes into the earth a few inches. If you want to get nuts or have fears of your retention being too much pour a little concrete where the rebard goes through the timbers. Just so we're all clear I personally hate landscape timbers, they remind me of linclon logs.....LOL

LindblomRJ
06-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Stager the joints. Landscape spikes about 6 ot 8 inches long to secure one run about another. Rebar in the first couple of row into the ground.

Timbers are good for what they are. I put a bunch around my house 5 years ago when I purchased it. They are faded however there is little rot, knock on wood. I don't mind them.

General Landscaping
06-04-2007, 01:10 AM
Use spikes to nail them together. You may want to drill pilot holes in the upper one and a little into the lower one as the nails sometimes will bend.
The rebar is a good choice too, get everything nailed together and drill through to dirt. Drive the rebar into the ground a foot or so.

As much as I hate landscape timbers, they are a cheap and quick solution that's easy to sell when that's what the customer wants.

PatriotLandscape
06-04-2007, 02:25 PM
use Timberlocks they are great fasteners for timbers they are 10" screws so you don't need pilot holes of rebar they will hold them together very well.

apowell18
06-04-2007, 09:58 PM
they are just holding back pea gravel. It's a 16x16 area. I just need something cheap and easy. I'm actually thinking of going 6x6x16. A little more money, but more sturdy if you ask me. It's for my own house, fyi. Thanks fellas.

forestfireguy
06-04-2007, 11:01 PM
We just did one of those for a client, it was 14x14. We rebared it into the ground with 18 inch peices and lag bolted the corners, after recessing the heads it looks great, our foreman had the idea to screw 2 peices of 2x6 into the bottom from one side to the other, one each way, empty it looked like 4 boxes, then we filled it with pea gravel. The guy loves it, and it loks like it'll last forever. Just be careful driving the rebar, don't hit any spetic pipes you might have to fix.:hammerhead: ...........it could get stinky.