PDA

View Full Version : home depot mower question

danielmorvant
06-03-2007, 11:34 PM
home depot has a honda 21 inch mower like the hc series it list $799.00 is this mower as good as mowers at honda dealers.

lurch
06-04-2007, 12:50 AM
you don't get dealer support from home cheapo...

Vikings
06-04-2007, 12:54 AM
I've noticed that the mower Home Depot sells that are also sold at one of my Dealers (Toro Personal Pace) were the same price same with snow blowers.

WJW Lawn
06-04-2007, 06:31 AM
They may be the same price...but dont you want dealer support??? The people at Lowes and Home Depot cant fix these things for you. Mix a can of paint--yes...fix a transmission on a Honda--no. If you're shelling out 800 bucks...spend it with a dealer.

bohiaa
06-04-2007, 04:59 PM
DONT DO IT...........

Honda's are over rated....... it's a push mower for Christ sakes....

you can get 2 el cheapos, like craftsman for that price and they will last just as long, cut just as well, the only diffrance is..... YOU CAN GET PARTS ANYWHERE FOR THE CRAFTSMAN

lurch
06-04-2007, 05:05 PM
DONT DO IT...........

Honda's are over rated....... it's a push mower for Christ sakes....

you can get 2 el cheapos, like craftsman for that price and they will last just as long, cut just as well, the only diffrance is..... YOU CAN GET PARTS ANYWHERE FOR THE CRAFTSMAN

i'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one...honda makes a good product

bohiaa
06-04-2007, 05:21 PM
i'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one...honda makes a good product

YEs they do..... however for 8 to 9 hundred dollars, for a push mower is way too much.....

I have had honda mowers and they last just as long as the el cheapos with all the bells and whistles....

when it comes to 21" mowers....most of us dont use them much... "some do" But mast of us dont.... what are we talking 5 ,6,7 years.....
the cheap mowers last this long tooo,,,,,

I have a craftsman, G-sale item, self prop. bagger, mulcher. got it for 35.00
it's on it's 6 th year....

Granted it's almost dead.... I expect it to go any day, it's as fast as honda. it's as realiable, it will cut just as good,

The only diffrance is, I took the 750.00 dollars and put it on an Exmark 52"

it's down to personal prefance.... some prople want to drive a Rolls. some dont mind driving a chevy.....

bohiaa
06-04-2007, 05:22 PM
DAmn I splle bad...........

dcondon
06-04-2007, 05:58 PM
No way would I ever spend $700 on a 21" push mower!!!:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

mcwlandscaping
06-04-2007, 06:00 PM
get the 3 speed one for $399.....works great, ive got three of them

KTO Enterprises
06-04-2007, 06:14 PM
800 for a push mower? For another 4oo you can get a 33 inch snapper rear engine rider. And that is a mower that will last forever. I have one that is a 1980 model that i use for small backyards that I cant get my Zs in the gates.

lawnmaniac883
06-04-2007, 06:38 PM
It all depends on how much you are gonna be using it and how well you expect it to perform. The 100 dollar crapsman will do fine if you have one or two accounts that you need to use it on but if you have 50 backyards a week to cut with it, that pos will not hold up. If I were in your shoes, I would go with the toro proline with either the kawisaki or the honda engine. Money well spent, you get a machine that will perform well, last forever and be easier to use. Either push the crapsman or be pulled along by a quality unit.

Diversified Maintenance
06-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Honda's are great but I yank my 21" cheapo out of the trailer about 3 times a month for a 4 minute mow so I will stick with my $50 investment.

bohiaa
06-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Honda's are great but I yank my 21" cheapo out of the trailer about 3 times a month for a 4 minute mow so I will stick with my $50 investment.

Give that man a :drinkup: well not just one :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

bohiaa
06-04-2007, 08:14 PM
It all depends on how much you are gonna be using it and how well you expect it to perform. The 100 dollar crapsman will do fine if you have one or two accounts that you need to use it on but if you have 50 backyards a week to cut with it, that pos will not hold up. If I were in your shoes, I would go with the toro proline with either the kawisaki or the honda engine. Money well spent, you get a machine that will perform well, last forever and be easier to use. Either push the crapsman or be pulled along by a quality unit.

I'm afraid if I had 50 backyards to cut A WEEK... I would not even be thinking about a 21" push mower......

at 800 to 900 dollars,,, that's 1/2 of a Quick 36......

WHIPPLE5.7
06-04-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm afraid if I had 50 backyards to cut A WEEK... I would not even be thinking about a 21" push mower......

at 800 to 900 dollars,,, that's 1/2 of a Quick 36......

Not all areas are the same. Almost all the real major LCOs around here have about 10 commercial Toro 21" and a Walker or two. Some areas are 21" only territory and you may as well have the best if thats your major base. Most people in my town prefer 21" mowers even with 1/2 acre yards. The like the striping of narrow mowers. If the customer is willing to pay for you to spend more time using a WB you may as well do it.

WHIPPLE5.7
06-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Not all areas are the same. Almost all the real major LCOs around here have about 10 commercial Toro 21" and a Walker or two. Some areas are 21" only territory and you may as well have the best if thats your major base. Most people in my town prefer 21" mowers even with 1/2 acre yards. The like the striping of narrow mowers. If the customer is willing to pay for you to spend more time using a WB you may as well do it.

BTW I also made the mistake of buying this very Honda at Homedepot and wish I didn't. I was on Saturday and I needed a new mower fast so I went there, but never again will I buy a Honda. Toro Commercial and Exmark Metros are the only way to go in small mowers. Yes they are $1,500 but you will get about 3 times the use out of them as that crappy Honda.

ed2hess
06-04-2007, 09:31 PM
If you need a 21" mower then get the Honda or a Snapper....these two I have used for many years and they are solid mowers. Don't know if I have ever heard anyone having problems with a Honda engine. I would consider getting a power driven Honda.....HomeDepot has models in your price range that have drives on them. I assume you aren't getting this mower to be used as a trim mower....if you are use a good trimmer instead and save the money.

bohiaa
06-05-2007, 08:26 AM

I think he said it best.... not all areas are the same......

T'S lawncare
06-05-2007, 10:45 PM
being a small engine mechanic as servicing this stuff, I know whats good. Toro's are a pain in the a** to work on. A carb costs 200.00 just for the part. Also, Self propelled system goes out a lot.

Honda's many of you are right, not a lot of things go wrong with the engines. They are good running machines IF you do maintenance on 'em.

Lets not even talk about the lawnboys.....:dizzy:

I've seen a lot of Craftsman mowers with problems all around, engine, self propelled, deck, ect.

Snappers are good machines, and I would recomend them to anyone. Hell, the old styles run just as good now, as they did when they were new. With the exception of a recoil prob. or a bad bearing in the drive system.:usflag:

As long as your not clueless about small engines, and you can see the signs of premature wear, machines will last a while.