PDA

View Full Version : Honda 21" - Idle/Throttle?

JFizzle
06-04-2007, 09:32 AM
I just purchased a new HRC216 and love it.
As many guys do, I prefer a slightly higher rmp setting on my hondas.
However, on my new one, I increased the idle but when I engage the blades its as if the engine speed goes back to its original setting. In other words - the increased idle does not work when the blades are engaged. What would cause this?

One other question: the throttle lever does not affect the engine speed. Its either in fast, or off. No in-between.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Restrorob
06-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Well Joe,

It sounds like you made the adjustment on the carb, If thats so you need to adjust that back. Set the control cable back to slow position and back the idle screw on the carb back out to idle position.

On the control plate you will see one or maybe two phillips screws (no serial #'s posted) with springs on them, This is where the adjustment is made.
If there is only one screw back it out a little to increase high speed RPM, If there is two screws one is for the choke adjustment and the other for high speed. You will need to move the throttle control cable while watching the control assembly to see which screw is the throttle stop and adjust it out a little to increase high speed RPM.

You don't want to increase it too much or you could cause engine damage and void your warranty.

deere615
06-04-2007, 11:57 AM
My HRX217 was like that when I got it to. I messed around with the idle screw and the screws underneath the levers and got nothing. I ended up shortening one of the springs down by the throttle contles on the mower and after that I just tweaked the idle screw a little and it runs great now.

JFizzle
06-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Thank you both for your help.

I was disappointed because the manual doesnt seem to go into depth on the engine.

So Rob, the black plastic screw is just the carb adjustment?
I think I know the two screws your talking about. I'll give it a shot when I'm at the shop today.

Thanks again.