PDA

View Full Version : Winter work

clcare2
06-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Most years I am able to keep myself busy and above water for the winter with little things that I can put of until off season. But this year I have my first salaried employee and I would like to keep him off of unemployement.

Are there any good off-season ideas out there.

Right now we are looking at cleaning foreclosed houses for a mortgage company.

I realize that it is a little early to be thinking winter, but we want to be prepared.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Herrick
06-04-2007, 12:44 PM
I do some firewood in the winter, not super profitable, but it does bring in some extra dough.

clcare2
06-04-2007, 01:12 PM
I am trying to think outside of the box.

I already do some snow removal, firewood, and lights, but would like to find something a little more regular and profitable.

mkroher
06-04-2007, 03:45 PM
I drive oil trucks.

Bigray
06-04-2007, 05:22 PM
learn to trade stocks, futures...

Bill S
06-04-2007, 05:31 PM
dormant pruning, tree pruning, tree removal

Keep in mind though, your salaried employee is a landscaper. Getting into another trade may not be beneficial as efficiencies may drop off the board. Save money now and set up some of your plowing accounts to pay a monthly stipend in order to cover costs. This will allow you to survive your winter and any extra work you pick up will be bonus money.

gary6768
06-04-2007, 06:01 PM
During the winter months I'm a cart boy at Pathmark. Walmart is always looking for greeters. I also am a professional Santa that keeps me very busy in December.

mc24034
06-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Im in a direct selling business that makes me lots of money. So my winters I dont do much of anything..... kinda nice but bored out of my mind by February.

clcare2
06-04-2007, 11:03 PM
dormant pruning, tree pruning, tree removal

Keep in mind though, your salaried employee is a landscaper. Getting into another trade may not be beneficial as efficiencies may drop off the board. Save money now and set up some of your plowing accounts to pay a monthly stipend in order to cover costs. This will allow you to survive your winter and any extra work you pick up will be bonus money.

The employee is a close friend who has worked for me for a long time on other projects. We usually try to find a project or two a year that are outside of our experience just for the variety. So I am not really worried about productivity.

I can't always count on snow. Last year we had nothing and this year there was nothing until the end. Most of my snow accounts would not pay a monthly stipend on account of it doesn't snow that much here.